Digital transcendence?

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Digital transcendence?

Postby Billobob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 pm

I have latley been thinking about the possibility of the human race uploading our minds into computers in kind of a auest for immortality.
http://chirpnews.com/2016/04/05/mind-transfer-to-computer/

Honestly I don't care if we can do it but I think the real question is: If we are able to acheive this should we do it? Should we upload our minds into a computer? Would a digitalized life be preferable to physical existence?
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Re: Digital transcendence?

Postby The Nameless Thing » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:35 am

Peter Hamilton's science fiction (especially the 'Void' series) make uploading yourself a central plot theme. The human race has progressed to where life is almost immortal anyway with cloning yourself and transferring personalities. The decision to upload into into a mass computer is more of a decision they make when they are tired of physical life. They are always there in the computer to where your relatives can converse with their ancestor.

The concept is fascinating. I would do it. If I didn't like it I guess I could delete myself.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Re: Digital transcendence?

Postby Billobob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:30 am

Immortality or at keast extreme longevity sounds like it would be a good idea but I wonder if our minds would eventually become incredibly weary from all the experiences and memories. Also just how much of our minds are inherently linked to our bodies such as things like emotions which are caused by chemicals created in the body? Then again I wouldn't mind a couple extra centuries so who knows this may actually be a good idea if it is ever possible.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë