What religion are you, and why?

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Postby Griffon64 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:39 am

Very interesting post, Frelga. I enjoyed reading it.
Griffon64
Mariner

Postby The Nameless Thing » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:54 am

Born and raised Catholic. Baptized, Communion, confirmation, the whole thing. But I hit a spiritual wall in my early 20’s. Logic dictated the existence of God, but what made Catholic’s right and everyone else wrong?

So I did what I normally do when confronted with a question…I went out a bought a book. I think it was called ‘A Guide to Christian Denominations’ or something close to that. I studied, bought more books, went to different kinds of churches and finally settled on Des Plaines Bible Church in Des Plaines Ill.

It was affiliated with Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.

I did not find any huge differences in Christian belief’s (not enough to endanger you salvation anyway) between denominations, just details, even Mormons and JW’s still believe that Christ died for you and that you have to accept the fact that you are a sinner.

I just found that the idea of ‘dispensations’ made sense to me (an major underpinning at Moody’s) . Re: God’s dealings with humans changed throughout history (the way he delt with us). The logic being that as we matured we were more able to understand what God wanted from us. RE: Dispensation of Innocence – Adam/Eve. Dispensation of the Law – Moses. Dispensation of Grace – Christ. And a few others in-between (7 total).

Anyway started out a Christian, still believe.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby DrendDragonspawn » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:48 pm

New here, but gotta start somewhere.

Atheist and proud. Grew up in an oppressively 'christian' group known as the Westboro Baptist Church and shortly after being kicked out, I realized that all religion is bull. If there really is a god (of any kind) they can kindly get their sorry arses down here and clear up the confusion and clean the mess they've made.

I will vehemently stand by the term 'atheist'. It is against (or the opposite of) 'theism' or the belief in deific powers, and the organizations built to worship those powers.
DrendDragonspawn
Petitioner to the Council

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Dend, welcome to Manwe. I notice social networking sites have active communities of atheists. It must make it pleasanter for them when they feel ideologically isolated.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby vison » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 am

DrendDragonspawn wrote:New here, but gotta start somewhere.

Atheist and proud. Grew up in an oppressively 'christian' group known as the Westboro Baptist Church and shortly after being kicked out, I realized that all religion is bull. If there really is a god (of any kind) they can kindly get their sorry arses down here and clear up the confusion and clean the mess they've made.

I will vehemently stand by the term 'atheist'. It is against (or the opposite of) 'theism' or the belief in deific powers, and the organizations built to worship those powers.

Nice to see a new face. Welcome.
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:35 am

Yes, welcome, DDspawn.

See? Now you've got a nickname. :)

I think Tosh meant less ideologically isolated, in his post above.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby JewelSong » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 am

DrendDragonspawn wrote:Grew up in an oppressively 'christian' group known as the Westboro Baptist Church

I would be very interested in hearing of your experiences in this "church." It is listed as a "hate group" by the US, I believe. They are completely disavowed by just about every Christian group and certainly every other religion.

I was under the impression that almost all the members of this "church" were related to Fred Phelps, the founder. Are you a relation? How did you get out and do you still have any contact with any of the remaining members?
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:14 pm

Welcome DDSpawn! :D

Jewel, I would not say the Westboro Baptist church is disavowed by just about all other Christian churches in the US.. maybe most large mainstream churches... but I believe there is a somewhat quieter minority that backs many of the extreme views held by the Westboro church. We have a Baptist church very similar to Westboro in our town. they are not quite as nationally vocal.. but they too come up with some law suit almost every year attacking public institutions (schools, libraries, etc.. ) and now have many people in high positions in town. They LOVE getting their cause in the national news and will push the limits to get that attention. They now have many people from the relatively small church as Aldermen, school board members, mayor, etc.. They get elected into these positions by very deceptive means, IMO. Members of that church hold an inordinate number of public positions considering most people in town are of other (mainly Christian) denominations.

We are neighbors with one of the people who are very active in this local 'Westboro-ish' church.. and they are the main reason I also have come to view most religion as hate-filled, manipulative hog-wash used to push through their own political and religious ideologies. This is not to say that I think that there are no good people who believe in religion.. or that I am against 'spirituality' .. or even the possibility of a Creator.. but after some long hard thought.. and studying the history of religion, I have come to view 'religion' as a largely hateful, destructive, man-made device.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Hello Brother!

Postby leroyneiman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 am

Not all those who wander are lost
Last edited by leroyneiman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Hello Brother!

Postby vison » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:34 pm

leroyneiman wrote:Nice to see another one of us around the Shire!

leroyneiman?

Really?
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:37 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Welcome DDSpawn! :D

Jewel, I would not say the Westboro Baptist church is disavowed by just about all other Christian churches in the US.. maybe most large mainstream churches... but I believe there is a somewhat quieter minority that backs many of the extreme views held by the Westboro church. We have a Baptist church very similar to Westboro in our town. they are not quite as nationally vocal.. but they too come up with some law suit almost every year attacking public institutions (schools, libraries, etc.. ) and now have many people in high positions in town. They LOVE getting their cause in the national news and will push the limits to get that attention. They now have many people from the relatively small church as Aldermen, school board members, mayor, etc.. They get elected into these positions by very deceptive means, IMO. Members of that church hold an inordinate number of public positions considering most people in town are of other (mainly Christian) denominations.

We are neighbors with one of the people who are very active in this local 'Westboro-ish' church.. and they are the main reason I also have come to view most religion as hate-filled, manipulative hog-wash used to push through their own political and religious ideologies. This is not to say that I think that there are no good people who believe in religion.. or that I am against 'spirituality' .. or even the possibility of a Creator.. but after some long hard thought.. and studying the history of religion, I have come to view 'religion' as a largely hateful, destructive, man-made device.

oh man if I lived next to someone like that I'd have so much fun!
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Lewie, maybe you should come visit. :twisted:
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Jnyusa » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Leroy Neiman is related to Fred Phelps??

I'm starting to feel Lost.
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:17 pm

This is getting curiouser & curiouser.. I can't wait to hear all the details.. I hope Leroy comes back. I'll sit & wait. Image
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:17 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Lewie, maybe you should come visit. :twisted:

Wouldn't want to get you a reputation :D

I could anonymously show up with a crew if need be. Just drop the word :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Now, that would be mighty interesting Lewie! :D It'd be nice having someone else deal with the situation for once!

RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

LOL!

Postby leroyneiman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:00 pm

The old that is strong does not wither
Last edited by leroyneiman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Re: LOL!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:12 pm

leroyneiman wrote:The reference to "brothers" was ment to be received by frodolives668. He and I are both Jehovah's Witnesses. That's what all of the male members in our faith call each other.

There is also a famous artist by the name of LeRoy Neiman.. we were wondering if it was a coincidence that you chose that for your screen name. :)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Re: LOL!

Postby JewelSong » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:55 pm

leroyneiman wrote:The reference to "brothers" was ment to be received by frodolives668. He and I are both Jehovah's Witnesses. That's what all of the male members in our faith call each other.

As well as members of many other Christian faiths.

(BTW, I am pretty sure frodolives668 is female. Or I WAS pretty sure...)
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby leroyneiman » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:12 am

Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Last edited by leroyneiman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Jnyusa » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:48 am

leroy wrote:I had a chance to meet him in New York some years back.

That's exciting!!
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby TheEllipticalDisillusion » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:40 am

I'm always curious when I see this thread bumped to the top of the list. Sometimes I miss the religious/philosophical debates that used to fill the majority of threads here.
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Mariner

Postby leroyneiman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 am

From the ashes a fire shall be woken
Last edited by leroyneiman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:29 am

leroyneiman wrote:Wow. This discussion came to a grinding halt. There seems to be a trend here. Whenever I express what my (1) beliefs are, or (2) that I'm a vegetarian, or (3) that my wife is black, the conversation stops.
Strange.
But no doubt, I'll see some of you at the next DragonCon. Don't hesitate to come up to me. I won't bite (well not to hard ;)

we hate black vegetarians duh.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Jnyusa » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 am

Two unexpected visitors popped in at once, Leroy. We all paused to meet you. :)
Jnyusa
Mariner

Postby vison » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 am

Threads like this come and go.

We much prefer to fight about politics.

What Party are you and why? :)
GM is alive.

Osama bin Laden is dead.
vison
Ringbearer

Postby JewelSong » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 pm

leroyneiman wrote:There seems to be a trend here. Whenever I express what my (1) beliefs are, or (2) that I'm a vegetarian, or (3) that my wife is black, the conversation stops.

A "trend?" You only have 30 posts. How much of a trend could you possibly have started? The only posts I saw from you were about your being a JW, which was pertinent to this thread...and a shout out to another JW. Didn't see any reference to your eating habits or anything about your wife's race.

I can pretty much assure you that nobody here gives a fat rat's patoot about your vegetarianism or your wife's skin color.

Being a JW might allow you to contribute some interesting bits to this thread. But it's not going to STOP because of you, honey.
JewelSong
Ranger of the North

Postby leroyneiman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:03 pm

A light from the shadows shall spring
Last edited by leroyneiman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby leroyneiman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Renewed shall be blade that was broken
Last edited by leroyneiman on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
leroyneiman
Citizen of Imladris

Postby TheEllipticalDisillusion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Wait a minute, he serves steak in a Steak-house? Now I really hate him.

:twisted:

What makes one become a Jehovah's Witness? This kind of goes for any religion. What makes one look at the world and believe so deeply in stories and characters written in a book thousands of years ago? Though, one might ask the same of me (atheist): what makes one look at this world and all of the history of belief, and come to the conclusion that there is no higher force exerting some influence.

Is that changing the trend enough for you?
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë