Will California deny peoples' rights in November?

Manwë was known for many things, but wisdom and power are two that lead the rest of his attributes. Join the Councils and discuss the more weighty matters of Tolkien Fandom.

Re: Will California deny peoples' rights in November?

Postby portia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:35 am

Min:

So would I, but the clause has been misread for some years, by allowing Congress to say that states do not have t accept other states laws (that last clause is the stickler--one can never tell what Congress will do).
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:01 am

Well, I guess that the California Court can suddenly discover the undecided case, and rule on it.
Various GOP candidates can rale--harmlessly-- on the subject, while the County clerks go to work. And be as hypocritical as they like on the subject of separation of church and state.

(I do not understand it, but the system suddenly decided to respond to my name and password. Don't you love computers)
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arvegil » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:58 am

portia wrote:Well, I guess that the California Court can suddenly discover the undecided case, and rule on it.
Various GOP candidates can rale--harmlessly-- on the subject, while the County clerks go to work. And be as hypocritical as they like on the subject of separation of church and state.

(I do not understand it, but the system suddenly decided to respond to my name and password. Don't you love computers)

One thing that the GOP is very good at, is finding issues that they can't- or won't- do anything about, and whinge about them as a way of bringing out the religious right vote.

However, and while I consider 2016 the GOP's race to lose, the GOP's "religious right problem" is just going to get worse. The crazier the religious right gets ("teach the controversy," anti-vaccine, definitely on the wrong side of the center's opinion on SSM and marijuana legalization, re-criminalizing abortion), the less electable anyone kissing religious right tail becomes. On the other hand, in the short run, the GOP believes, with some justification, that it is DOA without the religious right votes. Hence, the conundrum.

Because of the way things are shaping up, the GOP may be able to avoid dealing with this problem in 2016, but I don't see them managing to go much further with this baggage.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby Cerin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:56 am

It's interesting that you view the religious right issues as baggage for the GOP, which will have to be jettisoned. What do you think might replace those votes for Republicans after 2016? And what about the fact that extremists tend to win the primaries; or is that changing? It seems to me that extremists have pretty well taken over the party, yet you think the Presidency is the GOPs to lose. That would seem to imply that you think the public at large is receptive to these views this year, but won't be in the near future? (I'm going to post this in the election thread also, as it seems more in line with that topic.)
Cerin
Mariner

Previous

Return to Philosophy: Councils of Manwë