The last movie you saw thread

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Re: The last movie you saw thread

Postby Ninui » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Glad you liked the film, Witchwench. I've loved the entire franchise since Alien back in '79. Prometheus was good and, Covenant, besides a few dumb parts, is good too. But. I'm a bit biased here

:wink: :D
Last edited by Ninui on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Welcome To Marwen .... 2018 .... Steve Carell
Wasn't going to watch all of this one. Movies that move to slowly really don't attract my attention very well. This one was able to compel my attention so I stayed tuned in. Turned out to be watchable and I just had to see how it ended. Don't think I'll be watching again though for once is enough.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby basil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Joker.

More of a social commentary than an evil villain DC flick.

Ninui, are you into the Terminator series? I saw an ad for the latest, with an elderly Hamilton and Schwartzenegger.
It had to happen! :o

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Yes. I am into the Terminator series. Elderly or not will watch this one too.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm

"A Dog's Way Home" ..... 2019 ..... Ashley Judd ..... Wes Studi ..... Edward James Olmos ..... Gavin Watson

Yeah. I know. Another dog movie. :roll: Entertaining. More suited to the elementary crowd. was not disappointed but, once is enough for this one
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:44 am

Glass ..... 2019 ..... Bruce Willis ..... Samuel L Jackson ..... James McAvoy

I waited a long while to see this one and finally able to do so the other night. Was sorely disappointed. Not what I expected from Shaymalan. Sometimes if I watch a few times I'll get the point of it all and actually like it. Maybe the fact I dozed off a few times played a part in the not like part I don't know. Don't like the ending. :x Maybe I'll give it anther go or two see what happens. That'll teach me to not get hopes up to high again or at least not that often.
.. :shock: ..
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Witchwench » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:34 am

I Am Dragon (On Amazon Prime)

Easiest way to explain this Russian entry into Fantasy: A mix up of any of the Disney Princess movies/live action/Fairy Tale/romance.

It's very sweet and family friendly. You wont find deep meaning, or Academy Award winning scripts or acting, but you will find a sweet universal story of love and over coming obstacles. Refreshingly clean, low on violence...while this movie at times comes dangerously close to being cheesy, it never takes that particular leap off the cliff..it's kind of like hugging a Teddy Bear. It's a disarmingly charming movie.

I preferred the Russian version, reading the sub-titles. The dialogue is not complex, so you are only reading one or two sentences at a time and doesn't distract from the movie. There were a couple times I was just watching the movie, and caught myself not reading the sub titles, but I didn't need to, what was being conveyed really didn't need dialogue and here I think the movie makers did good, they didn't fill every single scene with words and just let the visuals tell the story.

This movie was beautifully shot, and if at some points the CGI lags a bit, it is still quite beautiful and when you consider it was made for a fraction of they typical Hollywood fare..it's impressive.

Oh and the costumes and colors in this movie were wonderful. From muted greys, ala Winterfell to vibrant tropical fare.

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Airport .... 1970 ..... Burt Lancaster ..... Dean Martin ..... George Kennedy
The first of them all and the best one of them. Actually remember seeing this one at the drive in
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:49 pm

House Of Wax ..... 1953 ..... Vincent Price ..... Phyllis Kirk ..... Frank Lovejoy ..... Charles Bronson

This one made me jump more than once when I was a kid. Has become near and dear to my heart for it
!... :wink:
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Legion ..... 2010 ..... Paul Bettany ..... Lucas Black ..... Charles S. Dutton ..... Dennis Quaid

Saw the ending of this movie a few years ago and that made me hesitant to watch the whole thing, I mean if you know the end why bother. But sat and watched it last night . Glad I did. I liked it.
:)
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 am

Stardust: a film based on the Neil Gaiman book of the same name. A cute, charmingly whimsical fairytale - it has Michelle Pfeiffer as an evil sorceress and Ian McKellen narrating. Not perfect, but definitely a cozy film that strikes a good balance between childish wonder and a slightly more adult sensibility.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Witchwench » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 am

Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:Stardust: a film based on the Neil Gaiman book of the same name. A cute, charmingly whimsical fairytale - it has Michelle Pfeiffer as an evil sorceress and Ian McKellen narrating. Not perfect, but definitely a cozy film that strikes a good balance between childish wonder and a slightly more adult sensibility.

This is one of my favorties Thor..it ranks right up there with The Princess Bride...if I want to watch a fairy tale, that warms me up and puts a smile on my face, those two are my "go to" movies.

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Otaku-sempai » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Witchwench wrote:
Thor 'n' Oakenshield wrote:This is one of my favorties Thor..it ranks right up there with The Princess Bride...if I want to watch a fairy tale, that warms me up and puts a smile on my face, those two are my "go to" movies.

Image<Witchy

I was going to add that Stardust often gets compared to The Princess Bride, but you've done it for me!
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby Witchwench » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:22 am

July 22nd (Norway massacre)..on Netflix, it was very watchable, understated, not bombastic

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:28 pm

Captain Blood ..... 1935 ..... Errol Flynn ..... Olivia de Havilland ..... Basil Rathbone .... :wink:
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:34 am

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs on Disney+...I thought it would be fun to rewatch the film (I haven't seen it in ages), and in some ways it is fun - but the singing is so unbearably high-pitched and repetitive, that the movie does become somewhat unbearable in its third act.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby basil » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:50 am

Zombieland 2

I found it subdued in comparison to the first one. First one . . .ZOMBIES!!! oh my!! Now . . . . zombies, yeah, whataya gonna do?

Lots of non-zombies, how zombies originally came to be, and an extended salute to Tolkien and LOTR

Recommended

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:05 am

High Noon ..... 1952 ..... Gary Cooper ..... Grace Kelly ..... Katy Jurado ..... Thomas Mitchell

<3 <3 <3
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Klaus on Netflix...a very charmingly animated Christmas film. Nothing too spectacular, but definitely a cute movie to watch over the holidays.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Other