The last movie you saw thread

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Re: The last movie you saw thread

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 am

Avengers: Endgame, starring Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson and Chris Hemsworth. A brilliant movie, which perfectly concludes ten years of expansive storytelling by bringing everything back down to where it began: with the original Avengers, and their character arcs. There were a few choices that bothered me, but for the most part everything was excellent. The third act is a spectacle like nothing I've seen before.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 pm

Tarzan the Ape Man ..... 1932 ..... Maureen O'Sullivan ..... Johnny Weissmuller ...... C. Aubrey Smith ..... Neil Hamilton
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 am

Aladdin (2019). A really enjoyable film with a lot of humor and heart - unfortunately, even as it adds new (and sometimes very good) material to the original story, it never expands upon that, leaving just glimpses of potential here and there. Regardless, the changes to the character of Jasmine made her the MVP of the movie, with Naomi Scott's brilliant acting and incredible singing voice having ample opportunities to shine. Mena Massoud as Aladdin is decent. Will Smith's Genie is absolutely superb. I didn't expect to like this film at all, so I was definitely pleasantly surprised by how fun it is.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Wed May 29, 2019 11:47 am

The Lovely Bones ..... 2009 ..... Mark Wahlberg ..... Saoirse Ronan ..... Rachel Weisz ..... Stanley Tucci ..... Directed by Peter Jackson

Much better than first thought it would be. Felt it was a bit "loose" in a few places but still good.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 am

Queen of the Desert, directed by Werner Herzog, starring Nicole Kidman, James Franco, and Robert Pattinson. Quite an interesting film, rather meandering and slow-paced, but beautifully filmed. Pattinson's role as T.E. Lawrence is a small one, but brilliant - it gives me hope that he'll be a great Batman.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:03 am

Always Be My Maybe, a new Netflix film starring Ali Wong and Randall Parks...a pretty cute and humorous film, very romantic. Not exactly my type of movie, but good enough. Keanu Reeves has a wonderful cameo as himself.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:48 pm

My Dog Skip ..... 2000 ..... Frankie Muniz ..... Kevin Bacon ..... Diane Lane
What can I say. I like dog movies .. :P
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 am

Ninui wrote:What can I say. I like dog movies .. :P

Have you seen the trailer for The Art of Racing In The Rain? An upcoming dog movie starring Kevin Costner - looks pretty adorable.

Meanwhile, I watched The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (that is one mouthful of a title) last night, and extremely enjoyed it. It's a romance/historical fiction set in Post-War England as a young writer (played by the brilliant Lily James) tries to reconnect a family on the isle of Guernsey with their lost daughter.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Miss. Pettigrew Lives For a Day ..... 2oo8 ..... Frances McDorman ..... Amy Adams ...... Lee Pace ..... Ciaran Hinds
Pleasant movie. Surprised that I liked it. Not my usual genre.

Thor -n- I did go in and watched the trailer for The Art of Racing In the Rain. Looks good. Hope there isn't a heck of a lot of romance to it. Does look well done so will probably give it a go
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:11 am

Murder Mystery, a new Netflix release starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, reuniting onscreen for the first time since 2011.

All in all, not a bad movie. Not necessarily a good movie either, though. I expected much more from Sandler, and thought that Aniston was carrying the film by herself for a large duration of the runtime. Luke Evans has a role in the film too, and he is, as always, perfectly suave and elegant. The supporting cast is pretty good, especially Terence Stamp in his only scene before his character's untimely death.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Other