The last movie you saw thread

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Re: The last movie you saw thread

Postby Ninui » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 pm

"6 Underground" ..... 2019 ..... Ryan Reynolds ..... Corey Hawkins ..... Ben Hardy ..... & various others
Standard fair. A good kill the evening with this one. Had some great car chases and fire fights but after all it was directed by Michael Bay. Streaming on Netflix
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:54 pm

King Kong ..... 1933 ..... Fay Wray ..... Bruce Cabot ..... Robert Armstrong ..... Noble Johnson .. :wink: :D
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:23 pm

"Shazam"! .... 2019 .... Zachary Levi .... Mark Strong .... Cooper Andrews .... Asher Angel
Just okay I guess. Not much too this one.

"A Dog's Journey" ..... 2019 ..... Dennis Quaid ..... Marge Helgenberger ..... Kathryn Prescott ..... Henry Lau
Sequel to "A Dog's Purpose".Deals with the granddaughter, (Quaid's & Helgenberger's), and her life with the dog. A bit sappy and sentimental but I liked it. A good sequel. Not the best mind you
but a good one.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:11 pm

"Brightburn" ..... 2019 ..... Jackson A. Dunn ..... Elizabeth Banks ..... David Denman ..... Michael Rooker

Always wondered when someone would do this kind of movie. Leave it to James Gunn to do it. Not all superheros turn out to be good. I found this to be very good. Glad I bought it .
If you like scary/horror like me give it a go
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:09 pm

The Black Swan ..... 1942 ..... Tyrone Power . <3 ..... Maureen O'Hara ..... George Sanders ..... Anthony Quinn
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:01 pm

"Green Lantern Directors Cut" ..... 2011 ..... Ryan Reynolds ..... Blake Lively ..... Peter Sarsgaard ..... Tim Robbins

Told myself that I'd watch this "all the way through" someday. On Demand has the directors cut available so.... this version isn't horrible but more watchable than the theatrical.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby basil » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:50 pm

"The Aeronauts", Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne on AP

Good flick, fantastic aerial shots and thrilling ballooneering. If you're acrophobic, close the eyes for a few.
And for the film buffs, for me anyway, a most pleasant surprise to see Tom Courtenay on screen again. STRELNIKOV!!!

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Melwa » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 am

Megamind (2010)

I'd been seeing internet comments this year that as a parody of the superhero movie genre, this movie was ahead of it's time. Now, when we've been bombarded for 10 years with both DC and Marvel movies, it's quite refreshing. My friend and I watched all through the credits, but weren't actually expecting the post-credit scene. :lol:
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Witchwench » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:20 am

Little Women the newly released version.

Highly disappointed in this adaptation and that is saying something. I like almost all adaptation of Alcott's book. I didn't like the decision to take a new spin on the book by telling a non linear story line. The movie starts 3/4 way through the book, backs up to the middle of the book, backs up to closer to the start of the book, then goes forward to the middle and flip flops all through the movie like this..I would imagine, some people, not familiar with the books or other movie versions, may be a bit confused by it all..esp since the actors changed very little over the course of the decade they were showing. Oh..it showed once "7 years earlier" to set up the jumping timelines..but if you blinked and missed it and were not familiar with the story..it'd be confusing.

I also didn't believe the close relationships between siblings, Laurie (who looked like a Eruo-trash model)and esp Professor Baehr, whom they tacked on at the end, much like Alcott did to the book, but instead of giving her excellent writing it's due, they made the decision to break the fourth wall (more or less) and let the author's opinion, not the writing come out on the screen.

Didn't mean to do a movie review..but there you are...I much much prefer the 1994 version of Little Women (probably my favorite) with Christian Bale, W.Ryder, Susan Surandan, or the Katherine Hepburn version..
Last edited by Witchwench on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:24 pm

"The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse .... 1921 ..... Rudolph Valentino .... Alice Terry ..... Pomoroy Cannon

Last night on TCM. This movie rose Valentino to stardom. Had about an $800,000 budget and made over $9 million. Pretty good for 1921 I'd say. One of my favorite from the silent age.
Take a look next time they show it.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:48 pm

"The Two Popes" ..... 2019 ..... Anthony Hopkins ..... Jonathan Pryce ..... Juan Minujin.
Was a bit slow. Well written and directed. Will watch just about anything Hopkins does on film. Great actor. Juan Minujin does an excellent job. On Netflix now.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby basil » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:53 am

More UK derring do.

The Outlaw King, Chris Pine playing Robert the Bruce post William Wallace, who makes a short cameo, of sorts, for a couple of minutes.
Pine is very unCaptainKirk like, subdued. Great landscape shots and it very much deserves its "R" rating.
Netflix

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:43 pm

"The Upside" ..... 2017 ..... Kevin Hart ...... Bryan Cranston

Good. Typical bio movie base on real people. Some amusing parts but all in all good enough to keep watching.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:35 pm

"Shooter" ...... 2007 ..... Mark Wahlberg ..... Michael Pena ..... Danny Glover .... Ned Beatty
An old stand by. Don't know how many times I've seen this one. Don't think I'll ever tire of it. First movie I ever saw Michael Pena in. Liked him ever since.
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Witchwench » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Ninui I love Michael Pena..he is so versatile..I wish he was in more movies

Saw Gemini Man last night it was meh..okay
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:19 pm

"Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker" .... 2019 ..... Daisy Ridley ..... Jon Boyega .... Adam Driver
Critics dissed it as crud. Fans thought it a poor end to the saga. Don't judge it by naysayers. Take a look and judge for yourself. I liked it. Plain and simple.
:wink:
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Melwa » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Witchy, I remember seeing the trailer for Gemini Man - the most interesting part of it was the name.

Ninui, I've seen the raging debate. I certainly won't try to argue you out of enjoying it, but for myself, I'll at least wait to see it on DVD. I know my own taste in Star Wars movies enough to have a pretty good guess of my own Rise of Skywalker opinion, based on the reviews I've seen.

Cinderella (2015), Disney's new live-action version. I don't care much for the original, so I didn't mind the changes, but didn't really love the movie either. 2.5/5
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Witchwench » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 pm

I didn't mind Rise of Skywalker, several parts I really enjoyed...I think the problem for me, with all the sequels..they just couldn't duplicate the magic that the first trilogy did for me...and that has more to do with be a part of that first trilogy as it unfolded, it was just so fun. The subsequent movies were never going to be able to do that, not like the first..but I was still able to enjoy.

Watched The Joker tonight..way better than I thought it would be and very tragic...and kind of sad.

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Witchwench I agree. The thrill of seeing the first 3 movies will never be met. The site of the Imperial cruisier filling the screen as it chase after Leia's ship will always be playing in
my brain. What an awesome site. Return of the Jedi was my favorite of the three but haven't seen it for a long while after Lucas butchered it. I can't swallow it .

Melwa. I hope you view the last entry with an open mind and don't let reviews sway your opinion.
Sure it's not 100% but give it a chance.
Ninui
Mariner

Previous

Return to Movies and Media: Other