BBC's Sherlock

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: BBC's Sherlock

Postby portia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:44 pm

I watched a special on the show, and was turned off. I just cannot accept a Mycroft who is not only not fat: not carrying around the whole British Government in his head, but has such a different relationship with Sherlock. Moriarty is also unimpressive. (similar problems with "Elementary" also bother me.)
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 pm

I like the Mycroft here. But I do agree Portia, that he is not Doyle's Mycroft by any stretch. I don't see being fat should be a necessity but Doyle's Mycroft was sort of like an intelligent bear. Witty but extremely lazy.

But I like this person. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 am

So, sidd, am I right in understanding that you've not seen the last episode of Season 1, any of Season 2, and the last episode of Season 3? You need to see the ones you've missed! Really! :D

I have liked each and every episode for different reasons, and that I love. :) As for Moriarty, I didn't think much of him in the beginning, but he grew on me. I've not read much Conan Doyle (and what I have read was a long time ago), so I'm not bothered by any difference between the Mycrofts. I like Mark Gatiss' interpretation. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby siddharth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

yep that's right heliona.
:blush: I know it's awkward. I saw the first and second episodes last year on the net and then my exams came and I forgot.
Then after the big-shift, we were tight on the money and since it's a really limited internet pack here, I decided not to use it and that I would perhaps get the DVDs someday. And then I discovered 2-3 weeks back that they actually air the show here. :D [*imagine my excitement*]
Squeee. :P

I will be able to see the last one tomorrow! *rubs hands* :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:54 am

As soon as you get the chance, you really, really need to watch the episodes you missed. :D

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:12 am

heliona wrote:As soon as you get the chance, you really, really need to watch the episodes you missed. :D

As we were getting to the end of Series 3, I almost didn't want to watch them because, once I did, I wouldn't have them to look forward to. I haven't seen Series 1 yet and I think I'll save those episodes for a long, wet, miserable afternoon.
Last edited by Gorthaur the Cruel on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:43 am

Series 1 is very good. Well, they're all good, in their own ways. :)

Now, regarding this latest series, I've found a (spoiler-full) podcast interview with Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffatt on the Empire website. I haven't listened to it myself yet, but I'm sure it's interesting. :)

There's also a written article with twenty spoilery things from that interview, to be found here and one of the things I noticed was (spoilers!):

They said that no-one has said that they had called out Mary being a spy because they were so relieved that she liked Sherlock and wasn't going to get in the way of the Sherlock/Watson relationship. Well, I called it early on. I thought it was obvious considering how quickly she picked up the skip code (in fact, I mentioned at the time that it was suspicious) and how easy she was with Sherlock was a bit of clue, too.

I knew it was going to be Mary with the gun as soon as Sherlock mentioned the perfume, too. Maybe I'm just a suspicious individual!

heliona

Postby siddharth » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:25 am

I will, I will! It's afterall the only serial I really care for. (alongwith BBT) :D

Gorthaur. Others would say better but till now s1e1 is my clear-favorite! :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

siddharth wrote:Gorthaur. Others would say better but till now s1e1 is my clear-favorite! :D

There's a lot for it to live up to. I have been wondering whether it introduces Sherlock to Watson or whether they're already a team when it begins, but I'll find out in good time.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Wildwood » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:57 pm

I stumbled on to this series after the second season was going! I couldn't tolerate not seeing all the rest, and they were not on Netflix at the time, so I bought a new DVD player that would allow me to change region settings, and ordered both series from amazon.uk. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Great great show! I sincerely hope that, when you have seen them all, you will be as happy with them as I am! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Wow.
It was brilliant.
The plot was brilliant.
Magnussen was brilliant.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:53 am

siddharth wrote:Wow.
It was brilliant.
The plot was brilliant.
Magnussen was brilliant.

Yes but what a wind-up at the end! All that sending him away on the six-month missions that he wouldn't be coming back from, all the sad goodbyes, and then...
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Wildwood » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:32 pm

GTC, you have a point there! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I am such a squealy fangirl for this show that I will tolerate practically anything, though, so I don't mind it. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Overall, I think it was a very strong series. I liked the direction they took. And that villain!!!! He was just deliciously evil. I wanted to poke him right in the eye, when he was demeaning Watson!!! Grrrr! I wish they would make more than 3 at a time. But then - maybe they wouldn't be so awesome if they did? And I sincerely hope it won't be 2 years before we get another series!!!! Love it! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:23 pm

I quite agree. For a moment I thought they were ending Sherlock. (more so because "His last bow" was the final story written. )

I also thought the Sherlock getting shot and falling with all those mental images was slightly overdone.
I was furious that they were planning to give Holmes a gf! But it sorted out good. :D

Magnussen truly was wonderfully acted. The finger-flicking was perhaps my favorite scene of the episode.
Funny though, how Sherl (;) ) mentions earlier that Magnussen is careless, and he refuses. And then in the end he truly was careless as
Sherlock could shoot him down so easily.

Also good to see that Mycroft does have some brotherly affection. Like in the books.

And hey. This will be interesting. I have not scene any episode with Moriarty so far. (he looks completely wrong though, imo ):D
I hope to see him outdo Magnussen.

ETA: Loved BC saying "I am a dragon-slayer." was that intentionally included by Moffat?
Last edited by siddharth on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Wildwood » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Sid, once you see him be Moriarty, I think you will feel differently! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I thought he was perfect! And there is one scene, towards the end of The Reichenback Fall, between him and Sherlock, that absolutely rivets your attention!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I actually liked the falling scene, when Sherlock got shot. I love all the scenes where they try to show his thought processes in action! I think you will appreciate that scene a bit more once you are familiar with the entire character of Moriarty, as they have drawn him! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Great television!!
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Moriarty shouldn't be crazy like they showed him in that flashback. And he looks too young for it.
Actually Magnussen looks perfect as the Moriarty I imagined.

I liked Sherlock's fall, really. Just thought all the mental images could have been condensed a bit better. But overall I liked it.

And I am going to predict [BOOK SPOILERS] that Mary will die due to some plot-villain (Moriarty? ) since she dies in the book as well. Though naturally. [/SPOILERS]
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:16 am

sidd, I wasn't sure about Moriarty when I first saw him, but honestly, he does grow on you. :) The fact that you're watching it in the wrong order doesn't help, of course (not that it's your fault :) ). And that wasn't a flashback, that was Sherlock's mind palace, where Moriarty is in a straight-jacket. :)

heliona

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:32 am

Yes, Moriarty's a good choice. A good way to go, I would say. They're very tricksy with him, too, but I'll say no more.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:02 am

Ah. Yes. Flashback is not the right word.

I would just ask if Moriarty is shown similar to the book? Calm, composed, intellectual but cruel. And terrifying.
In a way, Sherlock on the evil side.
Is this Moriarty anyway like that? I am just asking.

(I don't doubt he would be a great villain. Just not sure Moriarty or not)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:11 am

siddharth wrote:I would just ask if Moriarty is shown similar to the book? Calm, composed, intellectual but cruel. And terrifying.
In a way, Sherlock on the evil side.
Is this Moriarty anyway like that? I am just asking.

I'm not going to tell you that! :P You'll just have to find out for yourself. ;) :D

heliona

Postby MeadowForest » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 am

Those episodes, or at least the last one, were more complex than ever. I'm not sure if I liked them as much as the the first two series. I think after waiting so long one builds up a higher likely-to-be-disappointed-if-not-excellent mindset, and so I couldn't feel like I was loving them. I'm sure I'll get into them more with second watches, though I'm not sure if I could prefer them to the other series. :)

In the last episode I was very unimpressed about Sherlock having a girlfriend! So not the character.

Please say we only have to wait until next year for the next series? It's pretty darn mean to make us wait for so long, only have three episodes, then leave again for so long!
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:01 am

But Meadow, Sherlock didn't have a girlfriend. He was just using her to get to Magnussen.
(though I am pretty sure he likes her more than most girls. )

And what "other series" are speaking of? :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

siddharth wrote:And what "other series" are speaking of? :D

Britain has been making series about Sherlock Holmes for forever (as has the US). :D

Adaptations of Sherlock Holmes

heliona

Postby siddharth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:42 pm

No, I thought he (or she? :D ) was comparing it with any other contemporary detective show.

I have only liked the Jeremy Brett adaptation of all so far but I don't think Brett's Holmes was better than BC's. And Watson most certainly not!
Though I can see why some would prefer that. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:46 pm

siddharth wrote:No, I thought he (or she? :D ) was comparing it with any other contemporary detective show.

Oh, I see. No, I'm pretty sure, rereading the post, that she (I'm fairly certain Meadowforest is female :)) meant other series of Sherlock.

heliona

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:46 pm

heliona wrote:
siddharth wrote:No, I thought he (or she? :D ) was comparing it with any other contemporary detective show.

Oh, I see. No, I'm pretty sure, rereading the post, that she (I'm fairly certain Meadowforest is female :)) meant other series of Sherlock.

Yeah I think she means she doesn't know if she could prefer series three to series one and two (i.e. season 3 to seasons 1 and 2). Do Americans use 'series' to mean the entire run of a show?
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Gorthaur the Cruel wrote:Yeah I think she means she doesn't know if she could prefer series three to series one and two (i.e. season 3 to seasons 1 and 2). Do Americans use 'series' to mean the entire run of a show?

Yes, she could have meant that too. I'm sure she'll come back and clarify and clear our confusion. :) Gorthaur, Americans do use "series" to the entire run, whereas "season" is the individual annual groupings (so Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a series, with seven seasons).

However, I'm also sure that Meadowforest is English. :D

heliona

Postby Wildwood » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 pm

In America, when we say series, we mean show, and when we use season to indicate what run its on! As in, there's this series called "Elementary", and its in season 3 right now! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D When I talk about Sherlock or Doctor Who, or any other British tv show, I try to say series instead of season! Just being polite! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 am

I love this show. 8) I've got friends who are really into the canon who are much more critical of Series 3 than I am. But I am not embarrassed to say that I watch Sherlock purely for the actors, the fabulous entertainment, and the feels. :angel:

I LOL'd my head off when John punched Sherlock three times and each time they got downgraded so from being in a posh restaurant they ended up what we call in the UK a 'greasy spoon cafe'. :rofl:

But oh, the emotion! The shock, betrayal and anger in John's face! Martin was just <3

Sherlock SO deserved it. :D But you can see, also, how he has developed a bit, emotionally.

Mary is great. :)

Mrs Hudson just gets more awesome. :D

Mycroft working out! :rofl:

The Sherlolly kiss! :clap:

The Sherlock/Moriarty almost-kiss! :rofl:
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 am

Given the final post-credits scene in the last episodes, are we to believe that Mozza was never actually on the roof with Sherlie? That that entire interaction took place in Sherl's head?
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other