BBC's Sherlock

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: BBC's Sherlock

Postby heliona » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Gorthaur the Cruel wrote:Given the final post-credits scene in the last episodes, are we to believe that Mozza was never actually on the roof with Sherlie? That that entire interaction took place in Sherl's head?

Who knows?! :D
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Wildwood » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Di, I am with you 100% on all points!!! I was laughing and crying all the way through. Once again, Martin Freeman shows why he is my absolute favorite actor. I love Benedict, too, of course. But Martin!!! His face says so much!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

He completely destroyed me in The Reichenbach Fall, with that speech at the tombstone. I was bawling!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D and then - to see his face, once he realized it is Sherlock in front of him - it spoke volumes before ever a word was uttered! LOVED IT!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

How I missed them. And now - they are practically gone again! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I hope series 4 comes along quicker than series 3 did! :D :D :D:D :D :D :D In the meantime, I have Elementary to hold me over. It's very very good. Not as good. But very very good. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I really was so hesitant to watch it at all, but I was also intrigued about JLM and how he would do as Sherlock. I find I really like it very much! I would prefer not to have a female Watson. I am not against Lucy Liu. She does a fine job. But it just feels....not very Watson. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D But as a fix - it definitely scratch the itch, as it were, until MY Sherlock comes back around again! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby jotnar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 am

Apologies if this has been linked to before, but I found this cleverly done and quite good fun.

Wholock - Sherlock meets the Doctor
jotnar
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 am

Well, I just found out that in the last episode Sherlock's parents were Benedict's real parents.
And that the actress playing Mary is Freeman's RL partner too.
How cool.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:14 am

^ Yes, the real parents thing was fun to learn. :D

Okay, so I'm here to clear up what I meant...

I was referring to series one and two of Sherlock rather than another Sherlock Holmes or other detective series. I haven't properly watched any older adaptations of Sherlock Holmes to do comparing like that, yet. I also refer to episode sets as series rather than seasons, whichever country the show is coming from. :)

And yes, I am female and English. ;)

Siddharth - I know Sherlock wasn't seriously with the woman in the end, but the idea he was with a girl like that at all still bothered me! :D
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 am

I recorded both parts of the "Reichenbach Falls" and finally sat down to watch them. Although BC does well as Sherlock, the real standout is Freeman.
The episode was clever, and took a while to sort out--quite proper for Sherlock.
My only real complaint is mostly my fault. My Tv is of a size that text messages, etc. are too small to read from where I sit! So I have to reverse the scene and read them, then catch up! It wouldn't hurt anythng to have the text be bigger! :)
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:44 am

MeadowForest wrote:Siddharth - I know Sherlock wasn't seriously with the woman in the end, but the idea he was with a girl like that at all still bothered me! :D

I think someone's jealous! ;)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby MeadowForest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:14 am

^ Gasp! :o

While I'd admit I could easily give him a hug ;), I honestly had that opinion about it because I like the idea of Sherlock retaining that rather unique asexuality to his character.

~
It's a shame that Doctor Who meets Sherlock link isn't working - I'll have to seek it out somewhere; sounds intriguing! :D
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby Wildwood » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Did anyone else watch Benedict Cumberbatch's Sesame Street clip?? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D It was beyond adorable!!!!! I love this guy!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Does he even have kids? If not, when he does, he definitely will do the job right! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:00 pm

I know I was jealous of Molly. Just saw S3 and I am all over it. Knew he's probably safe and sound but couldn't keep my excitement.
Q. for anybody who is up to date-is 4thS happening and is it with Watson?
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Apparently, both actors signed up for the 4th, but there is no official date. Christmas of this year has been mentioned, followed by an evil laugh from Moffat.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Arlaug » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:58 pm

That'd be perfect as we will probably have to wait far longer for S4
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Arlaug » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:56 pm

A very neat Q&A with Gatiss in Sao Paolo for both Whovians here and us Sherlocked folks;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4WOOxe2dE
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Sun May 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Well, last I posted here I hadn't seen seasons 1 and 2 by then.
I have seen them all now.

They are absolutely fantastic. :D Even more than season 3.

(and the only episode I have mixed feelings about is " A scandalf in Belgravia")
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Mon May 05, 2014 3:21 am

Why that one?
I've had a love-hate relationship with Baskervilles' ep. but Scandal is probably my top notch.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon May 05, 2014 3:50 am

Baskervilles was brilliant! Everything is superb in it; direction, acting, script and the modernisation. And it actually felt nice to see a more recognisable Holmes story updated for today.

Scandal was good, but probably the least good among the first 2 seasons.Quite a few plotholes (big ones), and the provocative nature of Adler's clothing at the beginning, plus when she and Sherlock are implied to be in the nude.
Yes, I know it isn't a show for kids but it wasn't necessary in anyway either.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Minardil » Mon May 05, 2014 7:00 am

siddharth wrote:Baskervilles was brilliant! Everything is superb in it; direction, acting, script and the modernisation. And it actually felt nice to see a more recognisable Holmes story updated for today.

Scandal was good, but probably the least good among the first 2 seasons.Quite a few plotholes (big ones), and the provocative nature of Adler's clothing at the beginning, plus when she and Sherlock are implied to be in the nude.
Yes, I know it isn't a show for kids but it wasn't necessary in anyway either.

Oh, I LOVED "Scandal in Belgravia", and thought is was an excellent modern update of the original "Scandal in Bohemia". Indeed, I thought it was very true to the original story. And I didn't mind the nude Irene Adler one bit hahaha.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Mon May 05, 2014 7:22 am

I feel like I need to rewatch it. I have seen it only twice.
But still, some big logical fallacies there!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 pm

From what I gather from Gatiss/Moffat's answering through interviews, it is not their intention to make an adaptation of works but rather a version of SH which will have its similarity with original plotlines and firmly rooted in ACD's canon. Also, as I've come to middle of my Holmes stories, the sensation of atmosphere is, by my judgement, superb, and flawless acting brings it up on a whole another level.

What I "disliked" about Hounds was merely a representation of my personal tastes. So, as for acting/directing/script I have nothing to say, but the somatic and psychological Gaming, the sensation of fear was more than I was willing to bear with during 90 minutes. As for Scandal, it must be one of my absolute faves because of Sherlock's nature (extravagance might be a strong word but alas, at least queerness would do), and the nudity was a bit of an obvious choice and could be explained as an additional element which Sherlock isn't so comfortable with. And needless to say how jealous khm I was (not) for Irene/Sherl scenes.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon May 05, 2014 7:02 pm

Arlaug wrote:From what I gather from Gatiss/Moffat's answering through interviews, it is not their intention to make an adaptation of works but rather a version of SH which will have its similarity with original plotlines and firmly rooted in ACD's canon. Also, as I've come to middle of my Holmes stories, the sensation of atmosphere is, by my judgement, superb, and flawless acting brings it up on a whole another level.

I didn't say they were trying anything else. Just that when they followed one of the best recognised Holmes stories and yet changed it drastically, it still gave me lots of pleasure.

As for Scandal, it must be one of my absolute faves because of Sherlock's nature (extravagance might be a strong word but alas, at least queerness would do), and the nudity was a bit of an obvious choice and could be explained as an additional element which Sherlock isn't so comfortable with. And needless to say how jealous khm I was (not) for Irene/Sherl scenes.

There were a few things in Scandal bordering on unbelievability. Like storing the entire info in one microchip and nowhere else, really? And in the last scene, why on earth would they allow her to use her phone *there*?
As for the implied nudity, I can see why some would like it ( :D ). I watched the show with my family, so it was rather uncomfortable for me. ;)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun May 11, 2014 1:09 pm

I thought the nude scene was the best in all Sherlock. Usually, a nude woman is portrayed as vulnerable and submissive. Irene was the exact opposite, she had all the power and imitative in the situation simply by displaying a bit of skin. The bit with the phone, however, just made no sense. Why would anyone concentrate all the information that literally means life or death to them in one device, protected only with a 4-character password, and then give it to the one person who is a) most likely to break the password and b) most likely to share it with the one person who should not have access to it? And, security 101, don't use any part of a personal name as your password.

The password in the Hounds was even worse. How does a top-secret government facility not have elementary password policies in place? >-O :angry: >-O
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Arlaug » Mon May 12, 2014 11:57 am

Well she would have to keep the informations somewhere, perhaps she took herself far too loosely on that one.
Last edited by Arlaug on Tue May 13, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Um, no.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 am

How would you have made it? :)
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Tue May 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Arlaug wrote:How
would you have made it? :)

Would have to think of course. I am no Moffat.

It's the consistently high quality of writing throughout the series which leads to me getting bugged at the few and far in between logical fallacies which could have been still avoided.
I cannot ignore the paths of the dead and admire Amon Din at the same time while watching RotK!
The same reason S3 suffers from a little excess of fan service.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Tue May 13, 2014 11:43 pm

Arlaug wrote:Well she would have to keep the informations somewhere, perhaps she took herself far too loosely on that one.

Well, I don't remember her logic in putting all her eggs in one basket, but heck, make backups, disguised as, I dunno, an angelfire page, and encrypted - I can't emphasize this enough - with a really, really long key that does not include personal names, and combines letters, numbers, and special characters. 4-character code, mutttermutter. >-O

Oh, and don't give it to Sherlock. :nono:
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby siddharth » Wed May 14, 2014 1:08 am

Yes. the 4-character key is the most annoying bit for me. On a matter of life and death, no one fits a 4 digit password.
The same flaw in Hounds. But I can still bear that one as it is not really a core part of the plot.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Harvestar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:29 am

I've been totally fan girl over this adaptation. My husband is somewhat like Sherlock and it's fabulous to see such a great show where "brainy is the new sexy". The cinematography is so brilliant at showing the mind of a genius and the acting is so superb. And the attention to detail reminds me of the LOTR movies. Everything is so well crafted. :)
Harvestar
Mariner

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Anyone else tuning in for this tonight? We almost never watch live TV but Sherlock seems to be worth all the effort, to quote a certain Icelandic songstress.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:22 pm

I watched it, and was a bit put off with the time changes. I recorded it, however, and can give it another chance.
portia
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other