Game of Thrones

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:30 am

Pretty good episode.

Loved the way they made Margaery the Princess Diana of Westeros. Pretty, and prettily dressed, oozing sympathy for the underclass, graciously accepting public applause - hilarious! Her brother slipstreamed in her wake: "Margaery does so much work among the poor" (something similar). Cersei looked vicious.

All Tywin and Tyrion scenes rock and here they were together.

I missed Arya - the most sympathetic Stark since Ned's execution - but doubtless she will turn up next episode.
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 am

Another new episode yesterday. One thing I noted is how much the actor who is playing Geoffrey has grown. He is about as tall as the mother and the same height of Margeory.

I am not going to post much for those who haven't seen it yet, but a few interesting things develop on this episode 2.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby MeadowForest » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:12 am

Did anyone in the UK watch the short interview with George? It was interesting how he said about being able to describe the killing of someone really graphically, yet as soon as a sex scene happens, the US is up in arms!

There isn't even that much sex in the (currently) last few books. I've read other books that have had the same amount or far more sex scenes, so though I'm not 100% comfortable reading the scenes, it doesn't bother me all too much.

They also brought up Tolkien and George was like, 'You can't imagine hobbits having sex, but they have to come from somewhere' etc., in comments still regarding 'real' topics as relationships and all that. People like to compare them and it makes me think about the two authors and what they were aiming for in their books, also the times in which they were written impact. In any case, the deeper relationships of characters in LOTR was not important for the plot at all. For things like going to the toilet, you just have to fill in in your mind that at some point the characters would be doing so on their journey without the need to write it in! They are a lot different, and I respect each for how they are!

Anyway, after missing the entire second series (it's okay, I've read that book anyway), I've been able to catch this one in time to watch it. So much is put into these episodes though I do have to say I prefer the books. Some of the script seems a bit... I don't know... stunted? e.g. Lots of things have been changed from the book so how the characters flow to adjust to those things sits a bit off with me. Still, it's a well rounded show and the next episode is on tonight - woo. :D

Pssst: It's Joffrey, not Geoffrey. :P
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 am

Enjoyed the last two episodes immensely,

Episode 3 had the 'chairs' scene, which is one of the best scenes they've done from any season. Without a single line of dialogue it tells you so much about every single character.

The 'handicapping' of Jaime was very well done, and I almost wished I didn't know what was coming, can't imagine how shocking that would have been for the non-book reader.

But, most of all, the end of Episode 4 really raised the bar in terms of the series' ambitions and capabilities. It was a scene I've been looking forward to for a long time and it was note perfect. Simply Epic.

My only real criticism (apart from still not really liking what little we've seen of Tormund) is the Theon storyline. As someone who has read the books, watching his padded-out plotline (he doesn't appear after 'Clash Of Kings' until 'A Dance With Dragons') is a bit of a chore. We know what is going on and where it will end, and there's just something deeply unpleasant about seeing it. I think there was a reason GRRM chose to skip over those bits and it doesn't serve the ongoing story well - the only purpose is to keep one of the main cast members IN the show, it seems. I'd be interested in knowing what a non-reader makes of it though.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Pericles » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 am

Yeah, 3 and 4 have both been superb. I was also looking forward to Dany's Astapor scene and it didn't disappoint - the reveal that she spoke the language in particular was a beautiful pay-off. The Craster's Keep scene was great also and by the sounds of it, that was a much bigger shock moment for non-book readers. Every moment with Varys and Olenna (independently or even better together) is one to be treasured.

I don't mind the Theon stuff - I do understand the complaint, but I think the introduction to his 'helper /tormentor' is vital, and some of the words of regret spoken by Theon were very moving. The question is what they do from here - but as they seem to be separating it from the source material, I am as intrigued as a non-book reader on this one!
Pericles
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Alright. You all have convinced me to try it out, so I got the first two episodes from Netflix.
Meh.
Too many characters--do they need so many?
How in the name of perdition did Robert ever become King? He was too busy chasing girls.

I sincerely hope that someone thinks up the Missionary Position, sometime soon, tho' I probably will not be around to see it.

And Sean Bean looked older than the hills.
Later:
I just was notified that another two episodes are coming from Netflix. I forgot about them. Well, we will see if they make any differnce.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:53 pm

portia wrote:How in the name of perdition did Robert ever become King? He was too busy chasing girls.

Traditionally, being a sex-obsessed womaniser has not exactly been a bar to high office.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 am

Hobbituk wrote:
portia wrote:How in the name of perdition did Robert ever become King? He was too busy chasing girls.

Traditionally, being a sex-obsessed womaniser has not exactly been a bar to high office.

It's also one of those key details that tells you a great deal about the way things are in the world, at least in the novels. Robert, despite the fact that he was not an ax-crazy lunatic like his predecessor, is a horrible king in terms of politics and governance. That much is fairly obvious given the first couple episodes. As things go on, and especially again in the novels, you begin to learn lots of ways that, though Robert is more genial and less unstable, he is not half the king that Aerys was.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Queen_Beruthiel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am

It's getting better! The last episode was terrific. What an ending.
Queen_Beruthiel
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am

Enjoyable. :D It's interesting to see how it progresses as some particular events happen before too long. :D

I too was confused about the inclusion of Theon. At the point I watched the second? episode, I had only just got to the stage in the book where it was his POV again so I was a bit throne... sorry, thrown. Oh well, if they insist - I can live with it! :D

Even though I've only seen Jon's direwolf this series I am pleased to see that it actually does look like a wolf and not just a dog now. Guess they got enough money to CGI them this time around. Or were they like that in series two as well? Really need to watch that.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:54 am

I think the idea with the Direwolves is to show them growing and maturing, so they started off looking like domestic dogs, become wolves, then properly beasty. But yes, they've clearly got a bit more CGI budget this year! The dragons look great.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Wed May 01, 2013 7:37 am

Saw the next two episodes of GoT yesterday. I am still not that interested.
Enjoy it!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Pericles » Wed May 01, 2013 8:53 am

portia wrote:Saw the next two episodes of GoT yesterday. I am still not that interested.
Enjoy it!

If you've invested four hours into it, I would say stick another couple of hours in and see what you think. In my personal opinion, season one picks up from episode 5 onwards.

Latest episode of season 3 (Kissed by Fire) was really superb, possibly my favourite so far.
Pericles
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 am

I thought it was more of a 'business as usual' episode after the spectacularness that was episode 4, but there were a lot of great moments. Especially the Hound/Beric duel, and Jaime's account of his Kingslaying.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Pericles » Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 am

Hobbituk wrote:I thought it was more of a 'business as usual' episode after the spectacularness that was episode 4, but there were a lot of great moments. Especially the Hound/Beric duel, and Jaime's account of his Kingslaying.

I just loved the episode - thought it was really tightly paced and written, and hung together very well (most episodes inevitably feel a bit 'bitty'). Ep 4 had the two 'wow' moments but I thought this one was stronger overall. The Jaime scene you mention was wonderfully written and acted. In fact the episode had lots of 'history' which makes the world they have created much more rich and believable.
Pericles
Shield Bearer

Postby Maethoriel » Thu May 02, 2013 6:08 am

Hello!

I think GOt is awesome! My favorite serie atm really. And as a real dutchie It's also cool Carice van Houten is in it!
Still got the watch ep. 3 of the new season..I can't seem to find the time!
Thyrion is one of my favorite characters of the series..xD
Maethoriel
Petitioner to the Council

Postby hamlet » Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 am

Just watched the fourth and fifth episodes of season 3 yesterday. I think that they've redeemed the show in my eyes. The second season was, except for a few highlights, truly terrible IMO. This season is doing much better.

The scene where Jamie relates what actually happened when he decided to kill Aerys was just fatastic, and Gwendoline Christie is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. And not just cause she's hot.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 am

Glad you're enjoying it more Hamlet, I'd be interested to know what you made of episode six! Some significant departures from the books there.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Hobbituk wrote:Glad you're enjoying it more Hamlet, I'd be interested to know what you made of episode six! Some significant departures from the books there.

Won't see it until, at the earliest, Saturday when I can hijack my parents' cable and watch it on demand. I still won't pay cash to get HBO to watch one show.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Pericles » Tue May 07, 2013 3:15 am

hamlet wrote:Just watched the fourth and fifth episodes of season 3 yesterday. I think that they've redeemed the show in my eyes.

Glad to hear it! I agree it is the strongest season so far - not sure why, but everything has really come together. I think it helps it is the strongest source material, but it's also just obvious that the programme is in its prime and is being made with confidence and surety.

Despite the ever increasing cast and locations, it feels far less fragmented than before - they've done a great job of weaving episodes together. I think that was the biggest flaw with season 2 - which I'll agree was the weakest but I still thoroughly enjoyed.

Episode 6 was strong again but a bit of a pause for breath before the final four episodes I think.
Pericles
Shield Bearer

Postby rwhen » Wed May 15, 2013 8:35 am

Still quite a lot happened in episode 6.

I gotta say, I am really tired of the Theon torture. I hope that is finished for now. It was really cool to see Joffrey and his grandfather in scenes together. The "you don't know anything Jon Snow" is getting tired too. But still I can't wait to see what happens next there.

Arya "captured" by The Hound? He didn't get very far did he? I suppose he was following them? I would like to see more of the Bran storyline soon...it is too brief to get a sense of what is happening there. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the Tyrion/Sansa thing, but from what I gather, I better get used to it.

For some reason, I think we should be hearing "White Rabbit" when we watch the show...a lot of it seems to fit.

Can't wait for Sunday. (also I am reading the books now.)

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Dunthule » Thu May 16, 2013 1:26 pm

I agree, the torture scenes need to end and that story line needs to go forward. I am unsure if it will follow the books or not though.

If the last few episodes follow the book, then hang on. :)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Thu May 16, 2013 2:34 pm

rwhen wrote:Can't wait for Sunday. (also I am reading the books now.)

Can't leave us hanging like that. How are the books in your opinion compared to the show?
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Fri May 17, 2013 8:55 am

hamlet wrote:
rwhen wrote:Can't wait for Sunday. (also I am reading the books now.)

Can't leave us hanging like that. How are the books in your opinion compared to the show?

Actually I am liking them very much. Book one was almost word for word. Book two veered here and there from the show, but seemed to still capture the essence of what was written. I am in book three and trying not to read ahead of the series. There are people in the book that are not in the show, and the other way around. But again, there still seems to have the continuity that the show needs to get the feel or same vibe as the books give.

Both are pretty sensational. Meaning both make you delighted or sick.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:11 am

OH EM GEE

I am still in shock!!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:54 am

rwhen wrote:OH EM GEE

I am still in shock!!!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh?

I presume last night's episode involved a wedding?
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:58 am

Yes, indeed. For those who have read the books - I would imagine that it was shocking, but to SEE it on the screen. Pffffft. Pretty hard to take. I am still traumatized.

That King is a lunatic....there are many in GoT's though.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 am

I can see why 'The Red Wedding' has been a target of the makers for some time, they approached it with just the right amount of manic relish. From musicians changing from playing the 'Bear And The Maiden Fair' to 'The Rains Of Castamere', to Catelyn's last plead to Walder... it was great.

There was one major change from the books which was quite distracting even to a non-purist like me. Not sure how I feel about that one!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:11 pm

SPOILERS.....beyond this point there be dragons...just sayin'.

SPOILERS........

I SAID THERE WERE SPOILERS...WHAT ARE YOU STILL READING FOR?????

ONE LAST CHANCE..........

SPOILERS....

What's that, Hobbi? The fact that in the books Robb's wife was hardly mentioned and stayed back at Riverrun? Seeing her get killed the way that she did was probably the most horrifying thing I have seen in a long time on a show that is not intended to be a horror movie. It made giving her the screen time more sense now....it played much heavier on the emotions than it would have. Robb just standing there in total stunned shock was more real to me than most movies I have seen. Usually the brave hero see's what is happening and LEAPS into action...most of us would have been just like Robb. Stunned into immobility. I thought the look on Catelyn's face when she zips the wife of Frey is just Emmy worthy.

I thought that the whole story arc leading to this, fits better ...LOOKING BACK .... now I see Tywin - (thanks Hobbi) making the "kids" wait while he *wrote some letters*. Walder saying "the wine will flow red"....Catelyn told Robb back in Season one that to mess with Frey would be a big mistake...if they made an agreement, he would have to live with it.

What was really sad was the poor Starks...they come SO close. Arya ALMOST gets reunited again (that wouldn't have been a good thing) and Jon and Brann almost get united again.

I have some thoughts about Bolton . At one point didn't I see him carrying the banner for the Starks? I wonder if it was just enough money that made him betray them for the Lannisters? Or was there another reason that he does this. It now makes sense why he let Jamie go too....but there is something that is bothering me about the whole thing.

Last for me is the WAY too shortened "taking of the city" by three people for Danys. Her new Fabio of the desert, well I don't trust him and she seems starry eyed. But the scene was too short for the sacking of a city. *shrugs* Hard to fit all of that into a one hour show I suspect.
Last edited by rwhen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:25 pm

(I think you said Stannis when you meant Tywin, there, rwhen :) So many names though!)

Yes, it was the death of Robb's wife that jarred for me. I had no problem with her being at the Wedding, it was a good way of giving closure to their relationship and the scene where they discussed the name of the child was gorgeous. However, I was expecting her to escape with the Blackfish. Not wanting to give anything away about future books, her non-survival makes me wonder about how they will handle future events involving those two characters.

Also, the way in which she died was far more horrible than anything in the books. Maybe too horrible? It certainly threatened to overshadow the already horrible book-events.

Yes, Bolton was a Stark Bannerman and pledged to fight for the King In The North. Some oathbreaking going on there, to add to Frey's violation of the Guest Right.

I quite liked the Yunkai sequence, and liked Daario far more this week. He was just a greasy pretty-boy in his first appearance. The fight scene was great too.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other