The Avengers

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

The Avengers

Postby DeadRinger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, it's another 7 months away, but the first trailer to this superhero all-star movie has just arrived:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/avengers/
DeadRinger
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:51 am

I think it looks great and the fact that Joss Whedon is the man behind it is very exciting. If anyone can handle an ensemble cast like this, its him.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 am

Looking forward to it. I'm unabashedly a fan of these latest Marvel movies, and Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man really were quite good. Not just "good for a comic book move," but actually quite decent movies in their own right, though stipulation for Thor is that you need to know quite a bit about things in order to get some of what's going on.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:05 am

Like Hamlet, I'm a big fan of the Marvel shared-world movies. But I disagree about Thor - Mrs. Gungnir and the two Gungnirs-Junior know next to nothing about the comic series and enjoyed it immensely and didn't feel like they were missing out on anything - except they thought the cosmic cube at the end was the Frost-Giants' casket. (Mrs. G's favourite character in the films is Agent Son-of-Coul)

I still haven't seen Captain America though - eagerly awaiting the Blu-Ray in December.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:51 pm

I only bring it up because while watching it on DVD with my mother, had to stop the DVD every 5 minutes to explain something that wasn't obvious to somebody who either didn't know the comics (which I don't, but did a bit of research on) or Norse Mythology. Ironically, she thought that the whole 9-worlds concept was hokey comic book trash. She was shocked to learn that it's straight out of Norse Mythos, along with a LOT of the characterizations.

She also didn't like Odin's spear, until I explained to her that that was one of the things that they really got wholly right. And that it was named in myth. She also thought the hammer was silly, until I again explained to her about the myths.

Then, being a snarky person, she asked me if The Destroyer was part of the original myth. :P
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:58 am

hamlet wrote:I only bring it up because while watching it on DVD with my mother, had to stop the DVD every 5 minutes to explain something that wasn't obvious to somebody who either didn't know the comics (which I don't, but did a bit of research on) or Norse Mythology. Ironically, she thought that the whole 9-worlds concept was hokey comic book trash. She was shocked to learn that it's straight out of Norse Mythos, along with a LOT of the characterizations.

Ah, well maybe that explains it - Mrs Gungnir is not unacquainted with Norse mythology

hamlet wrote:She also didn't like Odin's spear

WHAAAAATTTTT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:10 am

Hidden Spoilers wrote:Hang about Hobbi - if you are referring to the cosmic cube that's not a spoiler as it has no bearing on the story of Thor - it only appears in the after-credit teaser and was never seen, mentioned or involved at all in the film up to that point.

I understand that it might appear in Captain America but I haven't seen that yet and have studiously avoided spoilers - so I can't spoil a film that I haven't seen or know the main storyline of, can I?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:42 am

Hmmm, where did my post go? How odd.

No, I wasn't referring to anything specific! Its just that I noticed discussion of Thor and mildly panicked :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:15 am

Anyway, I've now seen Thor and very much enjoyed it!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:07 am

It is rather good.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Fëalócë » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Having seen Thor, Iron Man (both) and the Hulk, I cannot wait for this movie. I really, really loved Iron Man and loved Thor entirely. I'm not that big of a fan of Hulk, but I can't wait to see him with the others in the film. Still haven't seen Captain America even though I want to.

The trailer makes me want to build a time machine. :(
Fëalócë
Citizen of Imladris

Postby erhanthemaster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:27 am

The premier of The Avengers was held last week and the first reactions are overwhelmingly positive. I've been waiting for this movie to come on big screen as much as The Hobbit and now that I watched the premier and saw those comments on twitter, I can't wait to see this movie. From this day on, I am at my utmost nerdness. I almost feel my front teeth protrude :) :) :)
erhanthemaster
Citizen of Imladris

Postby celebalqua » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:01 am

Fëalócë wrote:Still haven't seen Captain America even though I want to.

go see it, not as good as Iron Man and Thor but better than Hulk

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby celebalqua » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:03 am

erhanthemaster wrote:The premier of The Avengers was held last week and the first reactions are overwhelmingly positive. I've been waiting for this movie to come on big screen as much as The Hobbit and now that I watched the premier and saw those comments on twitter, I can't wait to see this movie. From this day on, I am at my utmost nerdness. I almost feel my front teeth protrude :) :) :)

So agree Erhan, it comes out here on April 25th in Oz, will report back....

Cel

btw, welcome to TORC!

celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby celebalqua » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Well what an absolute blast. this movie was a lot of fun. There are many signature Joss moments which for me made it very sweet indeed.

4.5/5

Cel

celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:44 am

Takes a while to get going.

But when it gets going.

Oh boy.

This is, without a doubt and by far, the best superhero film ever made. It's exciting and visually impressive, without ever losing sight of its story or characters. Every character is given depth and time to breathe, all are likeable... even the villain.

But when characters aren't punching each other or having sad moments (and even when they are), this film has more funny moments than many comedies can boast. It is pure Joss Whedon. He knows how to handle an ensemble cast and there is wit in almost every single line uttered.

Very, very impressed by this film... if you haven't guessed by now.

You can keep your "The Dark Knight" and your "Spiderman 2", this blows them out of the water. In style.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 pm

So you liked it?

We've got tickets for tomorrow night, Mrs G's birthday treat. Kids are vibrating with excitement and have been for weeks.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Meh, it was alright ;)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby celebalqua » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:31 am

Gungnir wrote:Kids are vibrating with excitement and have been for weeks.

Ha ha, any particular frequency??

I have my tickets for my second viewing, this time in 3D.

Cel

celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby oldtoby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I have my tickets for my second viewing, this time in 3D.

No... dont do that, you'll just encourage them to do more 3D movies.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:18 pm

I think Hobbituk took the words right out of my mouth.. eh fingers. :wink:

Best Marvel movie I have seen so far and it gave me hope for any sequels.

Characters that I never found interesting before on screen (like the Hulk, or Loki in Thor) got a lot more dept in this one.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Sun May 06, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm re-watching Thor in preparation for seeing Avengers with my brother on the weekend. Watched Capt America last week.

Hobbi, I value your opinion so I bet I'll enjoy it. Brother on the other hand is a comic purist so he may have issues.

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Telemachos » Mon May 07, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm not a Marvel guy at all (or even much of a comic guy), but I thought it was very enjoyable. A few quibbles here and there (pacing, overly techno-babbly comicy stuff occasionally, the bad guys and the threat to earth never felt particularly dangerous), but it's really entertaining -- Whedon manages to give each team member some moments to shine, there's great chemistry between them all, and it's a blast to watch.

The Hulk steals the show -- who'da thought?
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon May 07, 2012 6:37 pm

I'd like to see it, but I will have to wait. I will be heavily involved with the grandchildren, who are too young to see it.

But it looks like it will still be in theaters when I get back.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 am

Watched it last night with a good sized group. Lots of fun, actually, though it suffered in some quarters.

Too many damned one liners. Just too many of them.

Pacing was a little uneven. Too fast at times, too slow at others.

Special effects were . . . mindblowing, actually. Usually I couldn't care a fig for special effects, but these were so seemless that they were startling. And they never took the place of good storytelling, which is a major plus.

The Hulk had the best scene in the movie, or at least the funniest. But seriously, who didn't see that one coming?

Stinger #1: Strange sitting in a crowded theater and feeling like you're the only one who actually knew who the guy on the throne was is a strange experience. Having to explain the "to court death" line and why it was amusing and a dead giveaway kind of lessens the impact.

Stinger #2: . . . uhm . . . sure? Almost felt like a giant middle finger aimed at the audience who stuck it through all the credits.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Wed May 09, 2012 10:14 am

hamlet wrote:Stinger #2: . . . uhm . . . sure? Almost felt like a giant middle finger aimed at the audience who stuck it through all the credits.

More like a giant middle finger at the UK who didn't get that scene.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Wed May 09, 2012 10:34 am

Gungnir wrote:
hamlet wrote:Stinger #2: . . . uhm . . . sure? Almost felt like a giant middle finger aimed at the audience who stuck it through all the credits.

You didn't really miss anything. Not even a speck of dialogue.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Telemachos » Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 am

hamlet wrote:
Gungnir wrote:

I thought it was hilarious. Preferred to the mid-credit scene (which I understand is big if you know the comics, but to a non-comics person it's a total "???")
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby basil » Wed May 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Telemachos wrote:
hamlet wrote:
Gungnir wrote:

I thought it was hilarious. Preferred to the mid-credit scene (which I understand is big if you know the comics, but to a non-comics person it's a total "???")

Especially since at the end IM suggested going to a cafe down the street, yes, big snicker from me. And was anyone else reminded of Herman Cain's "smile" ad by the gloomy evil guy in the credits? So did a commenter at this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhm-22Q0PuM&feature=

I saw Avengers last night. Good entertainment and Whedon's take was fun to watch.

But not dvd-buyable.

I agree that Hulk had some fine moments in the story, but he was also the most jarring character in the movie, and I mean that in 2 ways.

1. Obviously.

2. Spoiler. I got that there was some history with Romanov and Banner previously, but aboard the giant flying aircraft carrier ( borrowed from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBa9jRgNOSs and, ah, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGspNH4vLVM ) he goes beserk and apparently wants to kill her but on the ground in NY he can be communicated with and directed? Kinda schizoid there, ya know.

There were some other "ya gotta be frikkin kiddin me" moments for me.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Wed May 09, 2012 2:14 pm

A lot of people seem to have a problem with Hulk becoming a hero. Which I assume means they missed all the bits of dialogue about why he becomes a hero. Which is a great shame, as those moments were superb.

The short version is: When Banner Hulks out, the target of his anger as The Hulk is the thing that made him Hulk out. Although, as Thor found out in one of the best bits, that isn't entirely foolproof.

Honestly, if you missed the building of The Hulk as a hero, you need to have a rewatch. Check out the scene where Stark gives Banner some perspective on how to go about it, later paid off when The Hulk snatches Iron Man out of the air when he's falling to his death.

There is a lot of SMASH SMASH BANG BANG BOOM in this film, but don't make the mistake of thinking it is all SMASH SMASH BANG BANG BOOM.

Although I am curious about this endcredits scene which apparently we missed out on in the UK. HOBBITUK SMASH!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Next

Return to Movies - Other