More TV shows

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

More TV shows

Postby portia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:24 pm

There are a whole bunch of new TV shows since we discussed them, last, and more are coming.

One of them is "Leverage" on--I think--TNT. This is a "caper" show where a group of mostly reformed criminals correct wrongs that the law can't deal with.

I think the characters are interesting and the dialog is often so, but the plots have holes large enough to drive a semi through. All sorts of unlikely things have to be taken on faith. It verges on fantasy.

Any more?
portia
Ringbearer

Re: More TV shows

Postby Ladykat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 am

I haven't looked through all the threads, but I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned
'Grimm", Fridays on NBC.

I love that show, it's one of my favorites.

I've seen "Leverage" , I like it., although you're right it does require some suspension of belief. I once heard someone describe it as "an upgraded A-Team." Pretty good description, that. :)

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby heodoregrzaa » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:16 am

I often Watch shows on laptop as have no time to see them on Television. I Hardly know of new shows coming up. After reading these I'll try these two.

Exterminator Brooklyn nyc
heodoregrzaa
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Ashke Verasca » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 am

Oh, I love "Grimm" too! It's awesome show I love the main wolf man ^^
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:24 am

The only shows I find worth watching are

Breaking Bad
Sherlock
Mad Men
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Swordy---I'm afraid my taste in TV shows is more pedestrian than yours. :)

I would probably like "Sherlock" I've always like the Sherlock Holmes stories. I'm guessing this IS based on the character from the books, yes?

"Mad Men" I can't abide. I KNOW it's criticalit0y acclaimed, and I KNOW it's been praised for it's authenticity, but...all that sexist sixties stuff just makes me want to throw things at my TV. With my luck, I'd probably hit it, and then where would I be? :D

(Wouldn't be able to watch "Fringe.") :Q

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ashke Verasca » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 am

I would say that Holmes from Sherlock is more holmes-y that most Holmes movies ;) But the stories aren't based on actual stories in books.
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:45 pm

I found Leverage just too unbelievable to keep watching. But I like White Collar - it doesn't seem to take itself so seriously. :)

I really like Once Upon A Time - the different take on fairy stories is quite interesting. I didn't get into Grimm but perhaps I never gave it a good enough chance.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Ladykat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:01 am

Ashke Verasca wrote:I would say that Holmes from Sherlock is more holmes-y that most Holmes movies ;) But the stories aren't based on actual stories in books.

I said the characters not the stories.

heliona---Never watched Once Upon A Time myself. I meant to, but it just never seemed to happen. I think what is was, is I forgot to record the first couple of episodes, then I recorded one, then I missed it again...anyway, I thought I'd just be totally lost coming in "in the middle" so to speak, so I just didn't bother to watch.

I'm sure I could find the early episodes on the internet though. That, or see if anyone I know is a fan and borrow their DVD's. :D

LK
Ladykat

Postby Wildwood » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 am

Appointment tv for me, currently, is Once Upon A Time, Revenge, Person Of Interes, Elementary, and Copper, plus Sherlock if it ever comes on again!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I watched Elementary as a complete skeptic, and because I didn't have anymore Sherlock to look forward to for the foreseeable future. But you know what? I ended up liking it against my will! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D At first it was too much about the reasons why Sherlock came to NY, and I still am not crazy about a female Watson. I am on the lookout, constantly, for a romantic angle, which I am deeply suspicious of and do not want to see! :D :D :D :D :D But as the shows went by, they finally got into the deduction part of it! They still delve too much into the angsty part of it all. But Johnny Lee Miller has won me over as "a" Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch will forever be "THE" Sherlock, as far as I am concerned! Even over and above any other incarnation I have ever seen! Love him in the role, and he set the bar high!! Martin Freeman, of course, is my favorite actor today, period, so he wins as Watson!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I am salivating impatiently for another episode of Sherlock!! In the meantime, Elementary is doing a good job of supplying the addiction! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Once Upon A Time got me immediately! I love the play on the fairy tales, and the switching back and forth between the fairtytale world and our world, etc. And the characters are just wonderful!! Love to hate Regina, and Robert Carlysle as Rumplestiltskin is perfection!!! I have loved him since The Full Monty, but this is such a great job of acting from him. He really should get an emmy in my opinion!! :D :D :D :D :D :D I tried to watch Grimm. I gave it a good shot, about the first half of the first season, I would say. But it lost me. The gore factor (yes, I am a wimp!! :D :D :D :D ) was just too high. I love that werewolf, whose name I cannot remember right off hand, and the idea is intriguing. But it ticks a little too close to horror and gore for me. The story would have had to develop faster than it did to make it worth it to me to slog through all that stuff, just to see what the ultimate plot was about. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Person of Interest is great! I can't believe more people have not found it. I love the actors and the premise and just all of it, and when Reese gets all bad-ass on people, it is soooooo coooool! :D :D :D :D :D :D And Revenge is soapy fun! I am still fully engaged with it, and waiting with baited breath to see what happens next! :D :D :D Guilty pleasure?? Yeah - so what? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D There is a knock-off version coming, on NBC soon, and I am wondering whether I will give it a look or not. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I am so hilariously territorial about my tv! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D But Elementary surprised me, so maybe this one could too???

Anyhow - I am ever so thankful for DVRs!! I can have appointment television on my own schedule now! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (Which is often 3 or 4 in the morning, after work and before work, simultaneously, which ain't no easy thing to pull off! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D )

Did I talk too much?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:12 pm

I watch Person of Interest too. Love it. That's one show that I WANT to get the DVD's. I don't want the DVD's for every show I watch---Criminal Minds for instance---but Person of Interest yes, those I want.

As I said, I never saw Once Upon A Time but I do love Grimm. The "werewolf" as you call him is named Monroe, and the part is played to perfection by actor Silas Weir Mitchell. One thing I didn't like about the second season was making Monroe more the comic relief. I liked it better when he was in the thick of things helping Nick (the Grimm/detective) solve the crime.

A question about the Sherlock series. If I understood you correctly, Dr. Watson is played by Martin Freeman? I hope Watson isn't portrayed as such a blethering idiot like the Watson in the old Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies. OK, maybe Watson's powers of deduction aren't as sharp as Holmes' but the man is a DOCTOR. He can't be totally inept. I hope. :Q

LK
Ladykat

Postby Wildwood » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Oh no!!! It is played to perfection. You would love it...i promise!! It is on netflix online. So worth the watch. More like a mini series than a regular show. Three eps for season one and three for season two. And martin had me bawling like a baby in the last epi!!!! Happy watching!
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Wildwood » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:05 am

Oops! Smart phone smarter than me. ;) ;) ;)
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Ashke Verasca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 am

Watson in Sherlock is completely different than any Watson portrayal in any Holmes movie. I was at first unsure what to think about him because he was so different than David Burke and Edward Hardwicke ( <3 ) but now I love him and thinks that he is good and intelligent companion for Holmes. BUt he isn't stupid at all, just to say.
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:42 pm

I've also been meaning to watch Dr. Who and Star Trek TOS.

Just so much time required :)
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:Just so much time required :)

You got that right. Even if I DVR something, I still have to find time to WATCH it.

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ladykat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Hey Wildwood! Guess what?

I am now the proud owner of the first season of Sherlock on DVD! :D :D

My nephew gave me a gift card for Christmas, and I just happened to come across it at Best Buy. It was the only one they had, so I grabbed it.

Now to be on the lookout for season two..... :wink:

LK
Ladykat

Postby Frelga » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 pm

My son and I are hooked on Castle. Nathan Fillion is a favorite from Firefly, of course, and he really lights up the screen. The plots are twisty, the dialog funny, and the characters human. And this is the only on-screen "romantic tension" plot I've seen that actually works, mostly because Fillion is charming and confident without being slimy, and the main characters are respectful of each other. Frelga likes. :)
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Old_Begonia » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Castle! Love love love that show!! That show, with ALL those plot twists! It's kind of spoiled some other shows which kind of seem to plod now.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Calma » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 pm

I usually don't watch much series tv, I'm more a sports watcher.
But NCIS has my vote. :D

My Favorite Star Wars Character....

Mr. Cool Himself. :D

May Is Star Wars Month in the TVM!!!

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD Image :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 15 :D

LOSSES: 17 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan Image

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image ROCK ON!!!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:18 pm

My favorite shows are iCarly, (I like Sam. So technically I like two characters named Sam, Sam from iCarly and Sam from LOTR) Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, and sometimes, Saved by the Bell.
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Melwa » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:33 pm

We don't get TV coverage for the currently playing ones, but we watch old series. :D All Creatures Great and Small, Hogan's Heroes, MacGyver, Star Trek (of course), the BBC Robin Hood, Hercules, etc.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby frodolives668 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:22 pm

WARNING: Possible Lost spoiler!

~I've been watching a show from a few years ago called Warehouse 13. Don't know if its still on.
~Sherlock. LOOOOOOVE Sherlock. Been raving about it on the other thread.
~Grimm as was mentioned before:) I do love the old bloody fairy tales. Much more interesting. Though reading them they get SO repetitive, but still worth my time.
~Lost. Yes, I know it's been off the air for years, but I really loved that show. Why did Charlie ever have to gooo....??? :cry:
~And I like the earlier episodes of House. (you getting the mystery theme going on yet?)
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 pm

frodolives668 wrote:WARNING: Possible Lost spoiler!

~I've been watching a show from a few years ago called Warehouse 13. Don't know if its still on.
~Sherlock. LOOOOOOVE Sherlock. Been raving about it on the other thread.
~Grimm as was mentioned before:) I do love the old bloody fairy tales. Much more interesting. Though reading them they get SO repetitive, but still worth my time.
~Lost. Yes, I know it's been off the air for years, but I really loved that show. Why did Charlie ever have to gooo....??? :cry:
~And I like the earlier episodes of House. (you getting the mystery theme going on yet?)

Again, more lost spoilers.

Charlie left because he wasn't happy with the diminished role of his character IIRC.

I liked him, but my favorite was Eko (talk about leaving too early!) And I suppose Sawyer :)

Great show.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:59 am

I also like Castle, and NCIS and I've decided I like Elementary and Blue Bloods.

Leverage is off the air, as of the end of Dec. It fell through one of its plot holes, but to give the cast credit, they played it straight.

DVR'ing is a great benefit, especially with the shows on at 10PM, as I often do not stay up that late.

I think I have seen ads for Warehouse 13 returning in April.
Last edited by portia on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Does anyone else watch Firefly? That's also a great show.
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 am

Rachel_musicfan wrote:Does anyone else watch Firefly? That's also a great show.

Yes!

Mad Men starts this week. Woohoo! Finally something to watch except Big Bang

Breaking Bad is gonna end not long after :(
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:

Yes!

Cool. My favorite in Firefly is Kaylee, who's yours?
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Rachel_musicfan wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:

Yes!

Cool. My favorite in Firefly is Kaylee, who's yours?

Mal. :D

I also liked River in the Serenity film.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm in college and don't watch that many tween shows anymore, but iCarly (from Nickeoldeon) is an exception. I find the humor and acting to be really spot on for a tween show. I own four of the DVDs, ordered from Barnes and Noble. I was sad to see it leave Nickelodeon, it's pretty much the only show I love on there. Seasons one and two are the funniest IMO.
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Next

Return to Movies - Other