More TV shows

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: More TV shows

Postby portia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Swordsman:
I will not watch "Mad Men" as I was in the job market toward the end of that era and I cannot see any reason to watch them on TV. The more accurate, the more I would avoid them.
But, if you want to watch them and be thankful that is gone, be my guest.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:59 am

Bates Motel on A&E. It's actually quite good, all things considered. Makes me want to hunt down a copy of the original film just for giggles, though it's a long way to Halloween.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 am

I like a lot of quotes from iCarly. This one is really funny:

Sam: Yes, can I help you?
Guy: Yeah, I said I wanted hot sauce and there was no hot sauce on my tray.
Sam: Sorry. [slams a bottle of hot sauce on the counter] Here's some hot sauce!
Guy: You should have put it on my tray in the first place!
Sam: You know where I want to put it right now?!
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MeadowForest » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:26 am

I am also watching Once Upon A Time. I watched all of the first series, so I thought I should continue it on! I kind of think it's quite a ridiculous programme, really, yet still enjoyable in its way! :) I like their choice of Mad Hatter. :D :D
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:11 am

Did anyone watch the PBS "Live from Linclon Center" production of "Carousel?" The whole orchestra was on stage, and the actors performed ahead of the orchestra. No sets, just props.

That show is difficult because the story is so sad, and unnecessary. But the music is so very good. I liked it a lot, tho' it was a surprise to hear a lyric baritone singing as Curly, because I am used to tenors. I am sure they will repeat it, if you missed it.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Rachel_musicfan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am

More iCarly quotes:

Freddie: Ok, but I think the loser should get some penalty
Sam: Hasn't life already penalized you enough?
*Carly sprays Sam with water* That's for being mean
Sam *shrugs*: It was worth it

Sam (to Freddie): Aw, look who's all grumpy 'cause he didn't get paired up with Carly for his little science project!
Freddie: Untrue!
Sam: True!
Freddie: So?

Freddie: It says that baby chicks need to be kept at 90 degrees [F].
Carly: What's the temperature in here?
Spencer: 72.
Carly: Turn the heat up to 90!
Spencer: 90 degrees?
Sam: (sarcastically) No, 90 pickles. Yes, 90 degrees!
Spencer: (hurt) No need to be hurtful...

Sam (to Carly and Freddie): I decided to share this with you guys
Freddie: You already finished it
Sam: Yeah, I decided too late

Spencer: I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandfather
Trudy: Thanks. I used to rub his feet with mayonnaise
Spencer: Um... okay....
Rachel_musicfan
Citizen of Imladris

Postby portia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:41 am

Every year, some TV shows feel they have to have "cliff hangers" to keep interest for the new season.

Two of my favorite shows have such cliff hangers with which I am distinctly disappointed.
1. Castle:
Becket has been offered a job in DC and would like to take it, but simulataneously Castle has proposed. For some reason, they both seem to think that moving to DC is not compatible with their marriage. WHY?? DC is a short flight from NY, and Castle can write anywhere. His daughter is in college, and his mother can do without him, if he supports her. The only drawback is that it is unlikely the feds would allow him to be involved in her cases, at least obviously. Well, we will see.

2. NCIS:
Some ambitious inspector is apparently trying to prove that Gibbs has committed many crimes in his career, and wants to hang him out to dry. Committing the crimes is probably not true (the shoting in Mexico was before he joined NCIS) and the other things are stretching the rules a bit, defense of others and tricking people into doing themselves in. Not really a basis. After all, the various directors already know that he follows his own rules.

There have been better cliff hangers in the past.

Later: well, they dispsed on the cliffhanging aspects of these episodes pretty fast, and went on to other things. That is just as well.
Last edited by portia on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 am

I saw the first episode of Sleepy Hollow today (on On Demand) Looks like good cheesy fun...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2647544/
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GoodSam » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:10 pm

I follow very few TV series. right now, the programs I have programmed into my DVR are Person of Interest, Suits, Hell On Wheels and Longmire. I watch Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother on reruns since I didn't start watching them when they were introduced. I may have to watch both on Netflix from the beginning.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:39 pm

I watched about 1/2 of "The Dome." It seemed to me that the last program stoped about 15-20 minutes short. We saw what looked like the dome disintegrating, but it wasn't that clear and we weren't told what happened to the characters. Were we supposed to guess?
I have not read any Stephen King. Does he stop short this way, and leave readers to guess what happens to the characters?? If so, it seems lazy to me.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:15 pm

do you mean the season finale? It was a normal 60 minute episode with a typical season ending cliffhanger type finish.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:30 am

Do you mean there will be more, sometime? Oh, if that is the case, then it wasn't so egregious. But I am not sure I care.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah there will be. Apparently it got good ratings so it was renewed for a second season.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:49 pm

The way the Dome was publicized, I got the impression that it was a one-off limited series. OK.

I have been watching "Henry IV" on PBS, staring Tom Hiddleston as Prince Hal. After having seen him as Loki in "The Avengers" it s a distinct metal jump to see him as Prince Hal. It is a good production, with Jeremy Irons as Henry IV. So, I suggest seeing it.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby MeadowForest » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 am

I've started recording BBC's Atlantis. Watched one episode so far and seems fair enough.

I'm also starting to record Homeland series 3.

And might start watching or recording a new Dracula series, that, surprise surprise, is set in the modern day, starting on Sky. (Better check when that actually is...)
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:33 pm

portia wrote:Every year, some TV shows feel they have to have "cliff hangers" to keep interest for the new season.

Two of my favorite shows have such cliff hangers with which I am distinctly disappointed.
1. Castle:
Becket has been offered a job in DC and would like to take it, but simulataneously Castle has proposed. For some reason, they both seem to think that moving to DC is not compatible with their marriage. WHY?? DC is a short flight from NY, and Castle can write anywhere. His daughter is in college, and his mother can do without him, if he supports her. The only drawback is that it is unlikely the feds would allow him to be involved in her cases, at least obviously. Well, we will see.

Yes, I thought that "cliffhanger" was a bit silly.

Committing the crimes is probably not true (the shoting in Mexico was before he joined NCIS) and the other things are stretching the rules a bit, defense of others and tricking people into doing themselves in.

I thought he had shot someone whilst he was with NCIS. And I think the original shooting (of the bloke who killed his wife and daughter) was whilst he worked for the predecessor of NCIS. It was a few seasons ago, but I'm pretty sure he went from the Marines to some form of NCIS.

Anyway, it was resolved in a rather weird way. I've not been particularly impressed with the first couple of episodes of the new season of NCIS. The cliffhanger of NCIS: LA was very good, though. Again, though, the resolution was a bit lacklustre.

I have been watching "Henry IV" on PBS, staring Tom Hiddleston as Prince Hal. After having seen him as Loki in "The Avengers" it s a distinct metal jump to see him as Prince Hal. It is a good production, with Jeremy Irons as Henry IV. So, I suggest seeing it.

I presume you are referring to the Henry IV that was part of The Hollow Crown series on the BBC. I've seen the first one (Richard II) which was very good, and have the others waiting to be watched. As it's a BBC Shakespeare production, I would expect high quality, and of course a quality cast, and the first episode didn't disappoint. I'm glad it made it across the Pond. :)

MeadowForest, I've been enjoying Atlantis - it's very British. :D The new Dracula has Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Dracula, which for me is a good thing, but from the trailers I've not been convinced to watch it. Let us know what you think!

Glasshouse, the first episode of Sleepy Hollow aired tonight in the UK. I really enjoyed it. I liked the way they changed the camera angles to be through the eyes of the bodyless head, or looking through a peephole. And I appreciated the Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil". :D
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby basil » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:52 pm

GlassHouse wrote:I saw the first episode of Sleepy Hollow today (on On Demand) Looks like good cheesy fun...

Me too, I'm a sucker for "Night Stalker"-ish stuff. SH is that with bits of National Treasure thrown in as well.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby portia » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:23 pm

PBS has had on "The Hollow Crown" a 4-part set with Richard II, Henry iv part 1 and and Henry v. I didn't see RII, but I rather liked HIV parts 1 and 2. Jeremy Irons was Henry IV and appropriately dark and haunted, also worried about his eldest son.
Henry V was played all the way through by Tom Hiddleston, aka Loki in the Avengers/Thor group. That was a stretch! His is very good and I managed to forget the one role while watching the other.

One remarkable thing about Henry V was that it was just about bombast free. Considering there are two wonderful bombast-worthy speeches in it, I was surprised.
Both "Once more into the breach. . ." and "St. Crispin's Day. . . " were spoken to smaller groups, not the whole army. That was strange, but it also allowed the words and emotions out.

I very much hope that they re-broadcast these shows, soon.
Hiddleston is a very good actor as he proves in the "Henrys." If they are re-broadcast, do yourself a favor and watch.

Just in case, I bought them.
Excellent shows. PBS is not charging a lot for them. All Shakespeare fans should take a look.
Last edited by portia on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:47 am

More on Thor 2. Thor was a much more interesting character in Thor 2. More humor and he thought up the devious way to solve the problem of the Movie. Even Loki was impressed. They also showed only a minimum of the planning for the solution so even the audience was surprised.

I have never read any Thor Comics, so it took me two showings before things began to make sense. Three to be really clear. One thing was left ambiguous on purpose. Maybe something will come of it later.

The PBS series Shakspeare Uncovered was very good, overall. Some sections were weaker, but the Jacobi, Tennant and Irons sections were good. A nice lot of good scenes inside the new Globe in the Irons (Henry V) section.

Another PBS show I though I'd never see, again, was "Oklahoma" with Hugh Jackman. His voice is fine for this part, though it isn't as good as Gordon MacRae's or some others, but his acting is better. Also in the cast was Shuler Hensley as Judd. He was better than any Judd have seen, and his voice is great.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 am

basil wrote:
GlassHouse wrote:I saw the first episode of Sleepy Hollow today (on On Demand) Looks like good cheesy fun...

Me too, I'm a sucker for "Night Stalker"-ish stuff. SH is that with bits of National Treasure thrown in as well.

b

Yeah, I've caught a few eps since. It looks like it's taking a really strange course. I'll have t try to catch up with it.

This weird new little liberal TV network called PIVOT has been showing my favorite science fiction show of all time.

Farscape. Nothing like it has been done before or since. Great, character driven stories of course but amazing visual effects, quite a few of which were practical effects, sets, costumes and of course Brian Henson's incredible creatures - as opposed to CGI. I convinced that that's why it looks so much better than anything that has been done for TV since. I'm being blown away by the artistry of some of these scenes all over again.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Wildwood » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:08 pm

With this new tv season, I have picked up new shows to watch! :D :D :D :D I am loving Sleepy Hollow, and Almost Human! Blacklist is MUST SEE for me now. Loving that one! And I got sucked into Castle and The Mentalist over the summer. Caught the early seasons up and had to wait for the new seasons. And I love Warehouse 13 as well. It will have one more short season before ending. And I am addicted to Orphan Black as well!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

One thing I have discovered: binge watching a series is so much fun!!! Like watching a 30 hour movie!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:26 pm

With a nod to@HardSciFiMovies on Twitter:

Electronic records of a dangerous criminal are erased from NYPD archive. IT quickly restores them from the nightly backup.

Looking at you, Castle. :lightening:
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:29 pm

If you are in the LA area or can get KCET on the internet, you may want to watch a week of Huel Howser episodes coming up starting on Jan 6.
He was a feature reporter for KCET, and other stations and was able to get many interesting stories about California. It has been a year since he died and we miss him.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 am

The 25th anniversary broadcast of "Phantom" was on PBS the last couple of nights.

They did a good job with it, with one or two exceptions: The chandelier. It just vibrated, and didn't mimic a fall. I understand why, but it is just not he same as when I saw it in London about 6 months after it opened. That short fall of the chandelier was shocking.
I do not understand why most of the scene in "Don Juan Triumphant" was played with the Phantom covered in a black cloth. It really interfered with the dynamic of the scene.

Any way, it is still very good, and if yu have a chance to see it, do.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:21 am

I've struggled to get into TV drama since Breaking Badended. I tried Boardwalk Empire but found the development of its main characters limited and some of the setups self-contradictory, although it did have some very engaging secondary characters. I need to get back into that. I thought House of Lies was good - slick and funny. Perversely, I mostly watch sitcoms at the moment. Parks and Rec and Community are favourites, along with Sunny in Philadelphia, Big Bang Theory and Modern Family.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Fabulous » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 am

Right now my two TV shows that have me hooked are The Walking Dead and Criminal Minds.
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:03 pm

I discovered "Chuck" on Netflicks. Many of you probably know "Chuck." I can't figure out why I never saw it before.

Anyway, I am going through it in order, and it is very enjoyable. Wikipedia says it lasted 5 years. Actually that is a pretty good run
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:43 am

I am about to watch Black Sails, haven't seen Toby Stephens on-screen in a real while :D
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Wildwood » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 pm

I watched the first episode of Black Sails, but bailed before it was finished. Way too much gratuitous crap in it for my taste! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I am not prude, but I prefer there to be reasons for more explicit scenes in a show!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D If the only message is "boy, them pirates sure was a raunchy bunch!", then I'll pass! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D The story did not catch my interest nearly enough to make me put up with all the rest! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Anybody else watch it? Like it? Just wondering! My sister loves it!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:06 pm

^Oh but Toby Stephens <3 I am much too much a fangirl of that actor not to follow nonsense but I agree it is far from perfect.
Even if it's done already, I have enjoyed Luther, starring Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson. Has anyone seen it? Also, I am about to watch True Detectives.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other