More TV shows

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: More TV shows

Postby portia » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:13 am

I have seen one episode of "Luther." I think i was well done, but it suffers (IMO) in its tone, which is depressing and seems dark to me. This is common to all of the British TV about police that I have seen. I have seen no smiles, no humor, nothing but "another slogging murder" to investigate.

I continue to watch interviews of various people in Thor 2, and to re-watch Hiddleston's appearance in character as Loki at Comic-Con. Well, mostly in character. There are a couple of smiles that seem to me to be Hiddleston having fun and not Loki. I can't blame him, as it must have been a real treat to do that.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:20 am

WAREHOUSE 13

I saw an ad on the SYFY channel for a short (new??) series of Warehouse 13 beginning on Mon, April 14.
I have been working my way through Warehouse 13 in Netflicks, so I am interested in it. Hooray for DVRs.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 am

Anyone else watching the History Channels dramatic series Vikings?
The HISTORY® original series Vikings transports us to the brutal and mysterious world of Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), a Viking warrior and farmer who yearns to explore—and raid—the distant shores across the ocean. His ambition puts him at odds with local chieftain Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne), who insists on sending his raiders to the impoverished east rather than the uncharted west. When Ragnar teams up with his boat builder friend Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) to craft a new generation of intrepid ships capable of conquering the rough northern seas, the stage is set for conflict.

But for all its warfare and bloodshed, Vikings is also a story of family and brotherhood, capturing the love and affection between Ragnar and his wife, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), a respected warrior in her own right. It is the tale of Ragnar’s brother Rollo (Clive Standen), a fierce fighter who simmers with jealously; of Earl Haraldson’s wife Siggy (Jessalyn Gilsig), a dutiful beauty who may be less than loyal; and of the monk Athelstan (George Blagden), whose Christian morals clash with the Vikings’ pagan society. As ambition and innovation rattle a civilization, these characters will be put to the test—and their way of life will never be the same again.

Vikings was created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors).

It's pretty good. Well worth watching IMO. Set in the time of the Vikings first raids in England, it's a story of politics, intrigue and war and alliances. Good acting, if not quite outstanding- but I think that's because they're going for realism and believability over "epic"-ness. Sets and trappings look, to my untrained eye, to be fairly accurate which you'd hope for on the History Channel. Can be somewhat brutal (see the recent episode "blood eagle").
But I'm wondering if any of the people on this board who are truly informed medievalists, think that it's culturally accurate. I think it generally is, or at the very least, about as good as TV gets in this regard.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Arlaug » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:23 am

I've seen the first season and, although I am a greatly interested in nordic mythology and its history in general, I disliked it. It is worth watching even if there are some mistakes and mild scripting (Tudors were better executed IMHO), it seems to me that History was really keen on earning some extra. Thus, Rollo is a sight for sore eyes.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Arlaug » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:51 am

Just remembered-anybody watching Hannibal?
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:06 am

Actually, I think I like Vikings. I just learned that it's based on one of the sagas.
I think the only thing that had me hesitating is that the main characters don't always act as we're used to having our "good guys" act.
[spoiler]As in when Ragnar takes Athlestan the gathering and offers him as a sacrifice[/spoiler]

IMO the acting, sets and locations are good and the story is interesting. It has enough action and intrigue and it does a good job of showing that the Viking culture is significantly different from that of the Christians in England. (how accurate the show is, is for someone more knowledgeable to tell).
But there are several stories and character arcs that I think are pretty good. Without too many spoilers, I'll just say that the journey of Athelstan the monk has been the most interesting to me from the start. He's been through a lot of changes

[spoiler]]From Christan to pagan and back. From simple monk to warrior and back - to being employed by Ecbert.[/spoiler]

Ragnar's ex-wife Lagertha (now there's a name for anyone looking to name their newborn daughter) is a great character too. She's Ragnar's equal in many ways and I can hardly wait to see where that goes.
Those are the characters that interest me most at the moment but there are others that have potential to come forward later too.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Arlaug » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

She is brilliant. Made me remember my younger self acting swordfighting through streets of Paris. She is a very fierce female but, in her own way, she is aware of moral divisions of right and wrong. It holds a respectful glance for such society where women could've engaged themselves in a fight along their husbands.

Somehow I like Floki. He is beyond manners and all, but I was so struck with his response to Laghertha SPOILER when Ragnar was wounded.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:42 pm

I am still watching a lot of "Time Team." Today, I watched a dig on Mull, of a chapel from St. Columba's time, and also used later. I really need to thank the person who posted these programs and also the Channel 4(?) people who decided not to object.

And, Happy Easter, all.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Fri May 02, 2014 12:14 am

Well tonight was the season finale of Vikings and it did not disappoint.

But I am bummed a little that at the end of tonight's show there was an announcement that The History channel had listened to the fans and was bringing Vikings back for another season....but not until 2015...that's just too long a break.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Arlaug » Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 am

I am just swooning all over Rollo. :roll:
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby GlassHouse » Sat May 03, 2014 11:29 am

LOL is your post meant to be ironic or did you use the wrong emoticon?

and I've seen pics of the actresses that play both Lagertha and Aslaug , that Ragnar was a lucky guy.

found this while skimming wikipedia for info on the original sagas
Ragnar Lothbrok's shipwreck, capture, and execution, as well as his sons' revenge, are portrayed in Harry Harrison's alternative history novel The Hammer and the Cross, the first of a trilogy.

The Hammer and the Cross is the first part in a trilogy written by Harry Harrison and John Holm, a pseudonym for the Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey. The book chronicles the rise of the protagonist Shef, bunnyslipper son of a Viking and an English lady. The book is set in the 9th century England where Viking raids are common and presents an alternate history to the one we know.

Within this tale, the authors explore what might have happened if the Vikings had waged more of a fight against the rather harsh, at that point in time, rule of the Catholic Church. Central to this story is the protagonist Shef. In the story an ambivalence concerning Shef's birth is introduced: Is Shef the son of the Norse god Ríg, or a Viking named Sigvarth? And are the gods real or just dreams? These ambiguities develop through the trilogy.

Might be interesting.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Sun May 04, 2014 1:46 am

The Hammer and the Cross is an absolutely fantastic book, one of my favourites. The two sequels are good but not quite as good as the first. Highly recommended.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Arlaug » Sun May 04, 2014 3:02 am

Skipped the :twisted: by one click I did. :D

Seems like a long year before a very important series. One of the best movies so far done is Valhalla Rising; impressive cinematic experience, for me at least.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby GlassHouse » Mon May 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Valhalla Rising was very dark. I prefer the Kirk Douglas version of this same story Vikings!

Apparently Kirk Douglas's father in the movie (played by Ernest Borgnine) is the same Ragnar as the Ragnar Lothbrok in the TV show.

Borgie! what an actor!

GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Tue May 06, 2014 2:28 am

He's also the same Ragnar Lothbrok* who is captured at the beginning of 'The Hammer And The Cross'

(* Lothbrok = 'hairy trousers', for all you non-Norse speakers)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue May 06, 2014 3:47 pm

GlassHouse wrote:Valhalla Rising was very dark. I prefer the Kirk Douglas version of this same story Vikings!

Apparently Kirk Douglas's father in the movie (played by Ernest Borgnine) is the same Ragnar as the Ragnar Lothbrok in the TV show.

Borgie! what an actor!

Well, I do not agree what you on "the Vikings." Guess that makes horse races possibl;e.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Ninui » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Just got my copy of the last season of Fringe. Love the show. Wish it was still on the air.
Has any one else seen the show ?
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ilyda » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:35 pm

LOVE Fringe. Walter's lab was always gross, but the plotlines made me go :Q Their first season was a bit all over the place, but they got their stuff together early in season 2. The relationship between Peter and Walter was fantastic. It was what kept me watching that first year. The science could get a bit crazy, and the plot had a few holes, but the emotional resonance sold it for me. I'm trying to get my friends to watch the show, and I keep raving about the one in season 2 with the white tulip.
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Loved Fringe too! I have since addicted both brother and my mum is currently watching season 5. Shame they had to rush through the final season, but I'm glad they got to wrap it up properly.

Sad they had to rush Warehouse 13's final series. :( 6 episodes weren't enough.

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Fabulous » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:05 am

I've always admired The Office from afar but never actually bothered to watch it consistently. That has changed, probably one of the funniest shows to me. The American one, not English.
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Arlaug wrote:Just remembered-anybody watching Hannibal?

I watched for a short time and found it lacking. I know they had to tone a few things down for network tv but for me it was watered down too much.
I don't have hdtv hook ups either so some of it came across a bit to dark to see what was going on.
Didn't care for their choice in who plays Will Graham. Norton must have been too busy.
Was it renewed for the fall ? Maybe I'll give it another try 'cause it did show some potential.
Loved the movies too much to have been totally hooked right away I guess.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:08 am

I heard Neil Gaiman interviewed on NPR this weekend and the news is that his great novel (probably his best IMO) American Gods is in the works to become a tv series. This is a better plan than trying to condense it into a movie but IMO that true for most book adaptations. Gaiman said that he got a call from one famous director or another at least once a year who wanted to make it into a movie but that none of them knew how to make it work.

I hope it's well done and that it doesn't end up on some pay channel that I can't get.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Ilyda » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:30 pm

GlassHouse wrote:I heard Neil Gaiman interviewed on NPR this weekend and the news is that his great novel (probably his best IMO) American Gods is in the works to become a tv series. This is a better plan than trying to condense it into a movie but IMO that true for most book adaptations. Gaiman said that he got a call from one famous director or another at least once a year who wanted to make it into a movie but that none of them knew how to make it work.

I hope it's well done and that it doesn't end up on some pay channel that I can't get.

This has been in discussion for years. I read this book in 2004, and I think they were talking about it all the way back then. If it ever actually happens, I will be surprised. If it happens, though, it's probably going to end up on a pay channel. (I know HBO was in talks for ages about making a mini series or something.)
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 am

Well as I said I heard NG himself say the series is being made. That's a pretty good source. He mentioned the production company that's doing it but I don't recall the name. But you are correct in that there has been talk about some kind of adaptation for years. In the interview, NG talks about how there has been interest in doing the book as a movie for years but that no one could figure out how to condense it into a reasonable length.

A quick google turn up this entry from his journal in which he explains what happened to the HBO deal and how it's been picked up by another production company.
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2014/02/a ... -more.html

Personally, I'm not usually a big fan of adaptations of books that I really like but if this does happen, I'd certainly give it a chance.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Ilyda » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Thanks for the link! I guess that post above was a bit of my pessimism coming through. Sorry! If this show happens, I will definitely watch it. American Gods is still on my list of favorite books, and I would love to see it on the TV.
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:44 pm

NP :) I can't blame you for being skeptical, so many rumors fly around the internet about how this or that movie or tv show is in production. It's always possible that this latest effort will not work out but since it was Neil himself saying it, I thought it was worth posting.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby notlistening » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Have you all seen the trailer for the next Dr Who series??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Awesome!!!

notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Frelga » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Has anyone seen BBC's Musketeers? I'm wondering if it's objectively boring or if I find it unwatcheable compared to the Dumas story. I only saw the 1st episode and I think it's quite enough.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby notlistening » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:47 pm

FRELGA!!!! I have the Musketeers dvd as I love Dumas story. The first episode is reasonably close to the book but from there it branches out a bit, some stuff with the Cardinal, the Royals and the individual lives of the Musketeers. I really enjoyed it.

notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Ninui » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Anyone out there still a Walking Dead fan ?
Got caught up with the fourth season over the 4th of July weekend marathon showing.
now I have to wait till October to see the 5th season. Hope it's a spectacular season,(like the producer implicated).
Can't wait to see how they get out of their predicament. I like cliffhangers but I don't like cliffhangers.
Hope Darryl and Carol never get written out of the show. :)
Ninui
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other