" Cloud Atlas"

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

" Cloud Atlas"

Postby portia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 pm

This is a very strange movie. It has great actors and performances, but I haven't yet figured out what the performances are in aid of.
It is long, probably too long. If at least two of the different story lines were cut, I think it would be a better movie.
portia
Ringbearer

Re: " Cloud Atlas"

Postby Pericles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 am

It's probably my favourtie novel of recent years, but I'm cautious about seeing the film. It is one of the few books I would genuinely class as 'unfilmable' so I am intrigued / concerned by the interpretation. So much of the pleasure dervied from the book is simply in the way the novel is structured, which is impossible to convey on film.

Portia if you haven't read it I toroughly recommend that you do, it is absolutely a work of genius.
Pericles
Shield Bearer

Postby Telemachos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:13 pm

I really enjoyed it, despite the inevitable occasional pacing issue and a certain amount of mess. Reading various reviews, there's no set agreement on which storyline is best and which is worst (and, in fact, some people's favorite are other peoples' worst). I think there's plenty to quibble about on the micro level, but on a macro level it's very satisfying and a cool theme and message, IMO.

It very much feels like a personal manifesto for the Wachowskis, and I mean that in a good way. (No offense to Tom Tykwer, I just don't know his personal life as much as theirs).
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby earendil81 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:51 am

I am reading the book and saw the movie last week... the book has been a difficult read for me English not being my native language and one part of it is written in a mix of phonetics and extremed texting language :P :P...
I have to say that so far the film seems to have respected some of the essentials although there are some changes that I don't know how I feel about... particularly in the Somni part.
In itself the film is good... as an adaptation of the book, I am not 100% convinced.

I have enjoyed the movie; it probably was my very last movie at the theatre (maybe Les Mis but that will be it for me) and I found it beautifully filmed and interesting. Without comparing it to the book, it stood as a good story on its own. I enjoyed the performance and unlike a lot of people (and critics that I have read since I saw the movie) I did not spend much time trying to figure out how each actor fitted in every storyline although most of them were obvious.
It was enjoyable and still asked some interesting questions about society, the choices we make and how our actions may have more impact than what we foresee.
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby finarfin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 am

Thoroughly enjoyed both the book and movie! I would call the film a companion piece to the book. The book is one of the most thought provoking and challenging books I've read in a long time. The film was a herculean task taking the six stories and trying to make a compelling film work at just under three hours, but by and large I'd say the Wachowski's and Twyker did an impressive job. I was hoping for it being Oscar quality, but it is a slight mess for that idea. Now, I would have made a mini-series out of it myself. I think that would have been a better medium for a visual telling. Still, I think this will become a bit of a cult classic over time.
finarfin
Ranger of the North

Postby Middle Girth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 am

The movie was great but the use of Yellowface was extremely painful for me.

An article by Racialicious about it:
http://www.racialicious.com/2012/11/19/ ... ientalism/

A short documentary about the history of yellowface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgcksOQwjDk

-MG
Middle Girth
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Telemachos » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 am

Doesn't that miss the point, though? All actors crossed racial and gender lines.
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Return to Movies and Media: Other