Anybody a fan of Mr.Bean or Rowan Atkinson?

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Anybody a fan of Mr.Bean or Rowan Atkinson?

Postby siddharth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:43 pm

I didn't see any thread on this, so took the forward step. :D

So, anybody here LOVES the Mr. Bean series by Rowan Atkinson? The serials, movies or both?
Last edited by siddharth on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Anybody a fan of Mr.Bean?

Postby Melwa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Not heard of him. I've read of a Mr. Bean in the Freddy the Pig books, but that's something different, I'm guessing? Who is he?
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:49 pm

It's a pure comedy series.
Take a look at this.

here's one episode: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfn72TeUkA
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Loved Mr Bean when I was little, decided I was too clever and sophisticated for it when I got a bit older, then actually grew up and realised it was a subtle shade of brilliance.

Of course, Blackadder is Rowan Atkinson's masterwork, but Mr Bean really was good. It was television remembering how to make Silent Comedy again.

And I'm the odd person who thought the first Bean movie was really good, and Mr Bean's Holiday was a bit naff. The exact opposite of everyone else in the world, especially the makers.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Hola Hobbituk! :D :D

Glad you shared your thoughts!

Yes I do think, Atkinson is brilliant as Bean. Hey, I haven't watched Blackadder. What's it about?
I too think the first Bean movie was very good. But I love the second one as well. However, I think the two are a bit different in their styles.

Oh! And I loved Bean's appearance at the Olympics. Sadly according to Atkinson, 'twas Bean's last appearance on big or small screen. :(
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:31 am

What's Blackadder about? Good question! It's not easy to describe. Probably the best way is by breaking it up into its distinct 'seasons';

The Black Adder: This is set towards the end of The Middle Ages in an 'alternate history' where King Rickard III (Brian Blessed) won the Battle of Bosworth Fields and was succeeded by his son (one of the famous 'Princes In The Tower', who were not murdered in this timeline). It focuses on the hapless younger son of the new King, who adopts the name 'The Black Adder' (Rowan Atkinson) and his various attempts, schemes and plots to get his hands on the throne. With the help of his manservant, the 'cunning' Baldrick (Tony Robinson). It was very ambitious for a comedy series at the time, with a big cast and sets. It remains quite entertaining, but not all that funny.

Blackadder II: Set in the Court of Elizabeth I (Miranda Richardson), it focuses on the descendant of The Black Adder, called Edmund Blackadder (again, Rowan Atkinson). This is where the series comes into its own. Blackadder is now much cleverer and witty. Baldrick is now the thick one. The failure of the first series meant they had a reduced budget, so it became like a more traditional sitcom with every line a gag. It's very funny and very good.

Blackadder The Third: This one is set in the very late 19th Century and this descendant of the original Black Adder, E. Blackadder Esq., is Butler to the Prince Regent (Hugh Laurie). Again Blackadder is cleverer and wittier, and Baldrick is more stupid. Again, brilliant.

Blackadder Goes Forth: Set in the trenches of World War One, the latest in the Blackadder line is a Captain. This season has an underlying commentary about War and the lives of ordinary soldiers and the stupidity of Command. The final episode is, in my opinion, the best final episode of anything ever.

In each season, Blackadder becomes more intelligent and his servant Baldrick becomes less intelligent. Also each season, his social status decreases (Prince to Courtier to Royal Butler to Army Captain) and his ambitions lessen (To Become King... To Marry The Queen... To Make Money... To Survive).

Anyway, it's so well made and so funny it's one of my all-time favourite series.

But this isn't about Mr Bean, really :D
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 am

Thank'ee!
I know it's not Bean. But I love almost anything Atkinson.

Gotta check Blackadder now! :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby frodolives668 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Well, early on in Blackadder you can see a lot of Mr. Bean in the characture. You might have to look for it at times, but when it's obvious, it's pretty darn obvious. I'm not saying anything else about the series except that i loved it.

I love Mr Bean too! Not so much for the animated series, but the live action one was almost like a comedy from the forties. It was genuinely funny, it was clean, it had me out of my seat, and I really had an empathy for the characture. You can see the wheels in his head turn as he triesw to figure out what to do next. The thing about the series i love so much is that it didn't seem like it was trying to make you laugh. More like you're just watching a guy trying to get on with his life and for some reason, it's funny. It's very natural, and you don't really see that in a lot of comedies now.
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Postby orcslayr23 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:52 pm

I enjoy Mr. Bean, and generally Rowan Atkinson's work. Blackadder is brilliant as well.
orcslayr23
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:47 am

frodolives668 wrote:Well, early on in Blackadder you can see a lot of Mr. Bean in the characture. You might have to look for it at times, but when it's obvious, it's pretty darn obvious. I'm not saying anything else about the series except that i loved it.

I love Mr Bean too! Not so much for the animated series, but the live action one was almost like a comedy from the forties. It was genuinely funny, it was clean, it had me out of my seat, and I really had an empathy for the characture. You can see the wheels in his head turn as he triesw to figure out what to do next. The thing about the series i love so much is that it didn't seem like it was trying to make you laugh. More like you're just watching a guy trying to get on with his life and for some reason, it's funny. It's very natural, and you don't really see that in a lot of comedies now.

Exactly my sentiments Frodolives! :D The subtle and especially clean humor. The 'clean' factor is absent from all comedy shows at the present I think.
That makes the series enjoyable for all groups. And though I don't like the animated series much, but I love the serial and the movies (especially the second one!!!)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Melwa wrote:Not heard of him. ... Who is he?

:o :o :o

Yes, I liked watching Mr Bean when I was a child in the '90s. It's not shown much on TV now (though they love showing that Christmas episode). However I did catch it once last year, a swimming pool episode where afterwards he'd got stuck in a carpark because he's been there too long or he's lost his ticket or something, and I just had the adult thinking of: 'how could he just drive straight through the car parking barrier like that?! That's not right!'. :P I think the humour has its appeal and fun, but it's a bit too comic at times for my comedy tastes. Quite different to Blackadder! That's certainly worth a watch as well. :D
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:24 am

siddharth wrote:I didn't see any thread on this, so took the forward step. :D

So, anybody here LOVES the Mr. Bean series by Rowan Atkinson? The serials, movies or both?

Love Rowan Atkinson, loved Mr. Bean. (Although I think Blackadder was way better. :p)
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby Arlaug » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:28 am

Blackadder is the epitome of british humor, I love both him and also Hugh Laurie in it. Such a duo to see.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Luthriel_Greenleaf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:18 pm

My husband is essentially Mr. Bean. He loves Mr. Bean.

Blackadder started going down hill the further into you go. Went from hilarious to 'whoa, this dark.'
Luthriel_Greenleaf
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 am

Luthriel_Greenleaf wrote:Blackadder started going down hill the further into you go. Went from hilarious to 'whoa, this dark.'

I have to disagree - the first Blackadder series was far and away the weakest (excluding some of the later specials, e.g. The Cavalier years).
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Luthriel_Greenleaf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 am

Oh, it looks like there a lot more Blackadder than what I was able to see.

Anyone see'The Thin Blue Line'?
Luthriel_Greenleaf
Ranger of the North

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:59 am

Luthriel_Greenleaf wrote:Oh, it looks like there a lot more Blackadder than what I was able to see.

Anyone see'The Thin Blue Line'?

Yeah. I don't think it was very good. Tired and hackneyed. Blackadder was truly exceptional for a sitcom. I rate it up there with Fawlty Towers, Yes, Minister and Porridge.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 am

Gungnir wrote:
Luthriel_Greenleaf wrote:Blackadder started going down hill the further into you go. Went from hilarious to 'whoa, this dark.'

I have to disagree - the first Blackadder series was far and away the weakest (excluding some of the later specials, e.g. The Cavalier years).

I'm in the minority in this one, but I actually loved the first series (though I will agree that the following ones were better). I don't know - perhaps I'm the only one that really liked the intelligent Baldrick. :D
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:42 am

It's been so long since I've seen wither of these shows. Both are in my top 10. I'd love t see them again.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Fabulous » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:00 pm

I was a huge fan of his little shows, still get a laugh when I go back to watch them. :)
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:50 am

Gorthaur the Cruel wrote:Yeah. I don't think it was very good. Tired and hackneyed. Blackadder was truly exceptional for a sitcom. I rate it up there with Fawlty Towers, Yes, Minister and Porridge.

I liked Thin Blue Line at the time but tried watching it again recently and, yes, it is pretty poor stuff.

And, whilst I like Fawlty Towers, Yes, Minister and Porridge, not a one of them comes close to the beacon of comedy light that is Father Ted.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:58 am

Luthriel_Greenleaf wrote:Oh, it looks like there a lot more Blackadder than what I was able to see.

Which of the Blackadder series did you see? There was the original series, set during the reign of Richard IV, Blackadder II set during the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I, Blackadder the Third, which happened during the regency period and Blackadder Goes Forth, which was set during the first world war.

There was also a very good Christmas special which showed the kindest man in Victorian Britain, Ebeneezer Blackadder and Blackadder the Cavalier Years, which was a one-off. And the 'Blackadder back and forth' film which was made for the Millennium Dome exhibition in London. I have them all on DVD but haven't got round to watching the last two.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby pat457 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:14 am

Gungnir wrote:Which of the Blackadder series did you see? There was the original series, set during the reign of Richard IV,

Richard IV being Richard, Duke of York. :P The Black Adder was centered around the premise that Henry Tudor's victory in Bosworth Field (1485) is actually a lie fabricated by Henry himself. King Richard III (not an evil hunchback here) actually won the battle but was accidentally murdered. By Edmund. Richard III, the series purports, did not actually kill the Princes in the Tower, which explains why Richard, Duke of York could ascend into the throne as 'Richard IV'.

History has known many great liars. Copernicus. Goebbels. St. Ralph the Liar. [he is shown holding a sign which reads "St. Benedict the Liar"] But there have been none quite so vile as the Tudor King Henry VII. It was he who rewrote history to portray his predecessor, Richard III, as a deformed maniac who killed his nephews in the Tower. But the real truth is that Richard was a kind and thoughtful man who cherished his young wards, in particular Richard, Duke of York, who grew into a big, strong boy. Henry also claimed he won the Battle of Bosworth Field and killed Richard III. Again, the truth is very different; for it was Richard, Duke of York, who became king after Bosworth Field, and reigned for thirteen glorious years. As for who really killed Richard III and how the defeated Henry Tudor escaped with his life, all is revealed in this, the first chapter of a history never before told: the history of... the Black Adder!
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby MeadowForest » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 am

I watched The Thin Blue Line again recently and I found them amusing still. :D I think just one series more would've been nice.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:55 pm

I love Mr. Bean, both the movies and tv show. I remember watching it when I was a kid. Don't think the show is aired on TV here anymore though.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 am

Just out of interest, did anyone ever see the Mr. Bean animated series? From what I remember it was pretty good.

Youtube
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Gungnir wrote:Just out of interest, did anyone ever see the Mr. Bean animated series? From what I remember it was pretty good.

Youtube

I never saw it. I didn't even know there was an animated series for Mr. Bean.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby pat457 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm

Gungnir wrote:Just out of interest, did anyone ever see the Mr. Bean animated series? From what I remember it was pretty good.

Youtube

I did. Thought it was pretty nice for an animated series. Although at the same time I think nothing beats the actual real-life man himself doing all the physical gags.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Gungnir wrote:Just out of interest,
did anyone ever see the Mr. Bean animated series? From what I remember
it was pretty good.

Youtube

yep I did. :D IIRC some episodes were really good while some mediocre to bad. But I did like it.
But as has been said. Not even close to the original series.

Gungnir - have ya seen the two films? What do you think about them?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Anybody a fan of Mr.Bean or Rowan Atkinson?

Postby Gungnir » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 am

Siddharth - The 'Disaster' movie was OK but Mr. Bean's holiday was very good.
Gungnir
Mariner

Next

Return to Movies - Other