Cloud Atlas

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Cloud Atlas

Postby orcslayr23 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 am

What did you think of this movie? It was very polarizing, but I thought it was the best movie i've seen in 10 years. A 3 hour movie with 6 story lines (not that any LOTR fan should have a problem with a long movie) flew by and I wasn't bored for a second. Plus there are a lot of subtle connections between all the story lines. This is probably my favorite film next to the LOTR series.

Anyone else watched this film? Discuss!
orcslayr23
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Cloud Atlas

Postby portia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:17 pm

I saw it. I hadn't read the book and I hadn't a clue for most of the movie. But, I agree with your conclusions, overall. The 6 stories held together and explained one another. It is definitely a movie that I should have had explained to me, before. even though I am glad I saw it.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:45 am

It's on my "To watch list", but I don't feel the urge atm.

I don't know the story, anyone can tell me the plot outline? 6 stories, increased my curiosity! :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby orcslayr23 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:40 am

siddharth wrote:It's on my "To watch list", but I don't feel the urge atm.

I don't know the story, anyone can tell me the plot outline? 6 stories, increased my curiosity! :D

If you've looked at any reviews, you've seen that they are very split. Between the six stories, there isn't a clear lesson or idea that you are supposed to be left with. The tagline is "everything is connected" and that best sums up the film. The six storylines take place in different time periods and many of the actors play characters in all storylines, which oftentimes depicts the evolution of that character's 'soul', as the major actors all have a birthmark (in the film, not in real life). One of the storylines is in a post-apocalyptic Hawaii. Another is in the 70s, where a simple act of kindness leads to the uncovering of a huge conspiracy. A book publisher has a run in with the wrong crowd after one of the authors he publishes commits murder, and the publisher's experiences lead to a rebellion in a Matrix-esque future South Korea. These and more storylines are all woven together seamlessly (the editor definitely had his hands full!) and there are many subtle and not-so-subtle connections between them.

I think why I love this movie so much is I think the topic of how people are connected, and even the average person can have an impact on others is extremely interesting.
orcslayr23
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Pericles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:42 am

I really enjoyed the film, but I urge everyone to read the book - without question my favourite modern novel.
Pericles
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies and Media: Other