Ben Affleck as the new Batman...

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Ben Affleck as the new Batman...

Postby Walkerd1602 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:28 am

Good choice :lol:

Or wrong choice :nono:

Personally, I like him as an actor, so I'll be interested to see what he can bring to the role.

Also, lets be honest, a number of people aren't keen on Christian Bale, and yet he's become accepted as one of the best portrayers of The Dark Knight.

Thoughts :?
Walkerd1602
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Ben Affleck as the new Batman...

Postby Pericles » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 pm

I thought Christian bale was a good Bruce Wayne but a pretty terrible Batman. That voice...

I can imagine affleck as a much better Batman but perhaps not as good Bruce Wayne. He hasn't got the natural smarminess of bale. Anyway, I'm not sure how excited I can get about a batman / superman film. A superhero with really OTT superpowers and one with none whatsoever - to me they are incompatible in the same universe (surely Batman will come across as ridiculous). I haven't read the comics so maybe there's a way of making it work.
Pericles
Shield Bearer

Postby Walkerd1602 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 am

It does seem ridiculous given for Batmans lack of any real superpowers. Maybe he'll use batarangs coated in Kryptonite.
Walkerd1602
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:53 am

Pericles, I always think it works really well in the comics.

Bear in mind that Superman's usual arch-enemy is a billionaire businessman with no super-powers.

I think Affleck is a fine choice, and the hysteria around it is akin to Heath Ledger's casting as the Joker. People seem to forget it isn't 2003, Affleck isn't 'that guy from Gigli', he's 'that guy who won an Oscar'.

I'm far more worried about the fact that the film is being made by the same people who made 'Man Of Steel', which was horrible.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:10 am

Hobbi and other friends on Facebook have probably already seen this comment but I think it's appropriate here too.

We re-watched Daredevil - which I didn't hate when I first watched it - the night before last purely because of the Batfleck controversy and it is actually worse than I remember. Horrifically cheesy in parts - we are talking Michael Bay levels here - and looks like it was directed by someone who directed music videos for a living. Horrendous soundtrack and also very slow to get going.
BUT, Affleck was not the problem with this film really. I think that, with a good director, he could play an acceptable Batman. I'm not sure that Snyder is that director though.

And Walkerd1602, there are precedents in the comics for Batman fighting Superman and winning - which is why the quote from the end of Frank Miller's 'Dark Knight Returns' was used in the SDCC press conference - Here be spoilers! (but not exactly the same as the original comic)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:33 am

Hobbituk wrote:I'm far more worried about the fact that the film is being made by the same people who made 'Man Of Steel', which was horrible.

I liked Man of Steel. :P
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 am

Many did :) I find it as baffling as I'm sure you do of many of my film preferences, hamlet!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Walkerd1602 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:12 am

I never got round to seeing Man Of Steel at the cinema. Really wanted to, just ran out of time :(

I know they faced each other in comics, but only from hearing about it. Don't manage to keep up with comics as much as I would like to.

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to the match up. Anything with superheroes facing off is a good thing in my books, as long as its done well.

I did see now that Affleck may also be directing the film. Will this not become a bit too much for him? I know it's been done by people before, acting and directing, but the weight of expectation for both his Batman role AND the production of a film which fans find acceptable, will surely be a lot to handle!!!
Walkerd1602
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 am

Walkerd1602 wrote:I know they faced each other in comics, but only from hearing about it. Don't manage to keep up with comics as much as I would like to.

The Dark Knight Returns was written in 1986. :D
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:15 pm

I should say, I really disliked 'The Dark Knight Returns'. Apart from that one scene that they quoted at the Comic Con panel. That bit was good.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:36 am

Just out of interest Hobbi, why didn't you like it. Was it too dark?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 am

No, not at all, believe it or not I like Batman to be dark!

No my problem with The Dark Knight Returns was mainly that I got really fed-up of the endless exposition being delivered by Newsreaders. Comic Books are a visual medium, I could not understand why so much of the story (and it certainly felt like a lot) was being told to me by emotionless figures sitting at desks with huge speech bubbles. Just seemed like bad writing to me. I don't particularly rate Frank Miller.

One of my favourite Batman 'arcs' is the 'No Man's Land' series. That is (at it's best) very dark and really cool.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 pm

As far as I know, the newsreaders, vox pops and chat shows were a deliberate stylistic choice by Miller to show the polarising effects of Batman on the people of Gotham. He certainly doesn't need them to tell a story - I think you said that you've read his "Batman:Year One" and he doesn't use that narrative device in that (or in anything else of his that I've read, like his very good Daredevil stuff).

A very similar thing, with the newsreaders etc, was done in the original Robocop film, almost certainly 'inspired' (ahem) by TDKR.

I think Miller did some great stuff early in his career but the last decent thing he did was Year One. His stuff after that which I've read, e.g. 300, Elektra:Assassin, was just silly rubbish. And the man himself is a grade-A arse nowadays.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Walkerd1602 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Having never read the comics, can I ask a fairly obvious question about Superman VS Batman.

Who wins?
Walkerd1602
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Whenever I've seen it, it's mostly ambiguous (i.e something interrupts, or they band together to face whatever common enemy was behind it all along), but Batman tends to get the best of it because... well... what writer wouldn't favour the underdog?

There is a particularly good 'Justice League Of America' story where Ra's Al Ghul discovers that Batman has secretly concocted plans to take down every member of the JLA should they ever turn evil. Ra's then steals the plans and uses them to take down the JLA one by one, ending with Superman. It's a great demonstration of how Batman can be believably in the same 'league' as all the super-powered heroes. If he wanted to, he could beat any of them!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 pm

And Walker, in Dark Knight Returns, Batman has Superman beaten and is poised to kill him but then fakes his own death by heart attack, after making sure Superman knows that he is beaten.

Bit of a spoiler, I know, but as the book is the best part of 30 years old (which makes me feel like a fossil as I read it the year it was published!) I'm guessing it's not going to inconvenience too many people :)
Gungnir
Mariner

Return to Movies and Media: Other