Cuaron's Gravity

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: Cuaron's Gravity

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Amazing 3D. Probably the best of any film so far, really shows what can be done with the effect and how to use it in a way that truly enhances the film.

However, if I couldn't see it on a big screen in 3D I probably wouldn't bother. It's a theme park ride, with occasional forays into being something more that rarely hits any note of originality or imagination.

Supremely well constructed and performed by the leads, just nothing much there to interest beyond the beautiful shots of Earth, spectacular effects and SPAAAAAAAAACE.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Democritus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:46 am

I agree with Hobbituk's review, though as a space enthusiast that now works in the space arena, I certainly loved a film that reflected (literally sometimes), everything I love about space and the concept of being in space.

But yes... deep it is not...
Democritus
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:11 am

Sorry to say Hobbituk, but I am opposite to most of your review. :)

This review by IGN states exactly my thoughts and feelings on how the film is just not a space action adventure film:

www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/23/gravity-review-2

I am okay with no one agreeing with me though. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:00 am

I'm not sure whether Gravity is deep, but I found it tremendously affecting and very touching. 8)

Fantastic piece of film-making. :) Totally absorbing. I could tell what was going to happen next but I was still riveted.

And I love that score.

SPOILER

(I never thought I'd say this, but it was a relief when Clooney's character died.
Last edited by Diamond of Long Cleeve on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 am

ARGH! Spoilers! I still haven't seen it.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Diamond of Long Cleeve » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 am

Ack, sorry. :oops:
Diamond of Long Cleeve
Mariner

Postby Peremensoe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Gungnir wrote:ARGH! Spoilers! I still haven't seen it.

Have you avoided the previews?
Peremensoe
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gungnir » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:38 am

I know the general storyline and have seen a couple of trailers. Beyond that, nothing.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 am

:rofl:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 pm

:?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Uh um, perhaps I mistook you for someone else on TORC Gungnir, but I very distinctly remember you saying you loved it (probably on fb).
Now, I am not so sure of this though! Ugh, stupid brains.
I guess the joke is on me now. :P
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:09 pm

It is getting a lot of TV publicity, probably to remind Oscar Voters about it. Good Luck, I liked the movie a lot.
I understand both the life-choosing Ryan and the surrender to space Kowalski. As a space fan I have often felt sympathy for both attitudes.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 am

OTOH, no publicity over here. :( They haven't even re-released the film after the Oscar announcements. I would have liked to see it again. *siigh*

And Gravity just had a clean-sweep at the VES (Visual Effects Society), which can be a proper indication of Oscar-night.
Dos won one though - for the best animated creature Smaug.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Eucatastrophe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 am

I just re-watched Gravity after having bought the DVD. ( actually I saw it twice)
Brilliant, brilliant film. I was in doubt if it would hold outside of the cinema in a tiny screen and I was delighted to see it did.
The immerseiveness is lessened of course, without 3D. But after rewatching this, I still feel that the film is JUST shy of being a masterpiece.
One thing I would recommend, would be to have the sound as loud as you can. The sound is as big a factor in experiencing the film as were the visuals.
Also, for those who haven't seen it yet. Do not be turned off by the simplicity of the plot. It was certainly a deliberate choice for Cuaron to go with a very simple story, with simple dialogue. The film is very minimalist, both visually and narratively, and that's why it works so well, IMO. It knows what it is, and it sticks to it.

Okay, my thoughts, and as the DVD is out I don't think I need to give a SPOILER warning...wait, I just did. :P

I am left a bit perplexed by those who didn't feel moved by it for I was moved to tears multiple times during this. Mostly at the first disaster and the ending. Not just by the personal story of Bullock's loss (which strikes close to home), but also by the stark beauty (and terror) of the film. The silent awe of space, the surge of life you feel when she swims into the ocean, and out onto the shore. The emotional punch of feeling as if you are standing on Earth for the very first time, viewing everything with new eyes. It's as close as one might come to feeling like a newborn. Awed and terrified at the same time.

It reminds me of CS Lewis' comments on "lifting the veil of the familiar." Fantasy, by stripping events of real-world baggage, can make one see a mundane thing anew. Green suns, and all that. Cuaron, taking us into space for the bulk of the film, only to plunge us back at the end, made us see life, and Earth, with fresh eyes. The Earth, though not a fantastical place, actually felt fantastical to me. And it was beautiful and reaffirming.

I am also wondering what significance, there was to the progression of iconography across the three main locations. In the shuttle, we pointedly encounter a Marvin the Martian figurine floating around. At ISS, we see either Christ or a saint (couldn't quite tell; it went too fast and the text was Russian, I think). At the Chinese station, it's what I took for a smiling Buddha. I think it's a very clear progression of "re-embeddedness" with life. From the initially lifeless, cold, sterile and plastic Marvin the Martian, to the earthy, warm, fat, smiling Buddha (punctuated by the Chinese man on the radio, with his howling dog), and finally, into the frog-packed waters of Earth.

And I absolutely loved the symbolism regarding the evolution of man in the final scene. When she finally lands on earth only to be drowned in water. Followed by her struggle to stand up on her legs - a struggle against Gravity.

Cuaron himself sums up the last scene best:

She's in these murky waters almost like an amniotic fluid or a primordial soup. In which you see amphibians swimming. She crawls out of the water, not unlike early creatures in evolution. And then she goes on all fours. And after going on all fours she's a bit curved until she is completely erect. It was the evolution of life in one, quick shot.
Space already lends itself to all these metaphorical possibilities. I think rebirth in many ways is part of the journey for everybody, not only every human in Earth, but it's also the journey of great characters. Great characters in literature or in cinema they go through the stages of rebirth and of a new understanding.

<3

To end the review, the only negative factor I can think of is some of the dialogue. If there had been even fewer dialogues (from Clooney only) it would be just perfect. Which is why I say this film is just shy of a masterpiece.
The scene in the Shuttle with Bullock talking with the Inuit fisherman and a baby crying and a dog barking, was tragically moving, soul-crushing, poignant and perfect in every sense.
Eucatastrophe
Shield Bearer

Postby Peremensoe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:02 am

I'm glad some people felt it. ;)

To address a comment from heliona, way back--it doesn't really take place in the 'real' world. This is a mythological story. Not in the sense of fantasy, but in the sense of deep archetypes.

I agree that it could have been improved by having even less dialogue--and for that matter, even less conventional plot and character. Though that would likely have hurt it commercially, as many people engaged it only through those things, plus the action/spectacle parts.
Peremensoe
Citizen of Imladris

Previous

Return to Movies - Other