Thor 2

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Thor 2

Postby portia » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 pm

I found the beginning confusing, as to who was whom and where did they come from. However, it was interesting enough that I kept watching. I am planning to see it again, as I am sure I missed things. The trailer will only confuse you.
Pretty good use of characters who were given short shrift, before.
And, be sure to stay to the end, the END of the credits.
portia
Ringbearer

Re: Thor 2

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:35 am

I saw it and loved it. Surprisingly authentic feeling scenes in London, not the usual Hollywood London you get in most American (and Richard Curtis) productions. The Asgard stuff was great too... very High Fantasy feel with Sci-Fi trimmings. Good story, brilliant turn from Tom Hiddleston as Loki... Christopher Eccleston didn't have very much to do though.

Thought it was a massive improvement from the first Thor film (which I did like) and followed on nicely from The Avengers.

Only criticism is I would have liked to see more of the Warriors Three and Sif.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:48 am

Christopher Eccleston. . . OH, Lord. I looked him up on IMDB and whaddaya know, my second favorite modern Dr. Who. I agree he hadn't much to do.
I certainly will have to see it again, as I have a lot of questions, which it is too early and too "spoilerish," to ask here. Many of my questions concern Loki.
One I can ask is why is Eric running around Stonehenge naked? He is in pretty good shape, but not that good!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Portia, Eric is a bit unbalanced in this film due to "having a God in his head" (to paraphrase his words) for most of The Avengers.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Portia do you mean the very very end of the credits? I just stayed till the post main cast credits teaser scene, didn't think they'd have another one.

One I can ask is why is Eric running around Stonehenge naked?

Im not sure we really needed two separate scenes of this, the second one seemed redundant.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:18 am

OldToby - there are TWO extra scenes in the credits - one after the main cast and one at the very end of the credits.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:28 pm

I saw it again, today. A second viewing cleared up most of
my questions.
A person in my aisle was getting up to go so I told her that I had been told to wait for the VERY end of the credits. She did.
I picked up on the "God in my head" comment from Eric, but I do not feel it was a good enough reason.
That "Collector" is a very. . .erm. . . "unattractive". . . person.

I think it is still too early to make spoilerish comments, so I will wait. I guess that I can say that the scene where Thor gets on the tube at Charing Cross and asks for directions to Greenwich got a big laugh.
I read somewhere that Hiddleston was the origin of the idea to let the brothers work together in this movie. Good story idea, and good career move.

A bit later. I think I can add some comments on the designs of things. My favorite is the Rainbow Bridge (I loved it before, too). Next are the bad guys smaller ships. Next is Loki's ship, especially the steering apparatus. I also liked the dungeons.
Last edited by portia on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Melwa » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I just watched it. Sadly, I only saw the first of the after-credit scenes. Oh well, it'll appear on Youtube soon enough. I'm actually more worried about that Collector than about the problems in the final scene of the movie.

I enjoyed it very much! I kept laughing at Loki and Thor. The main problem, though, was of course serious enough to sober me most of the time.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Melwa wrote:I just watched it. Sadly, I only saw the first of the after-credit scenes. Oh well, it'll appear on Youtube soon enough. I'm actually more worried about that Collector than about the problems in the final scene of the movie.

I enjoyed it very much! I kept laughing at Loki and Thor. The main problem, though, was of course serious enough to sober me most of the time.

Getting the right tone is important. Comic relief doesn't work if it is not "relief." The comedy works because the situation is serious, and the characters are taking it seriously.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Hm, people liked this.

I rented Thor last week expecting to be entertained, but that movie was so dull. Except for Loki, of whom there was not enough, and the parts with Thor without a shirt. So when I read the reviews that said that the second movie "lacked the sparkle of the original," I just wrote it off.

But it's got Loki...

Hm. Maybe I'll give it a chance.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:09 pm

It certainly has Loki, and better than before.
On second viewing, I even liked the villain, played by Chris Eccleston.

There was a too long thing on the internet about why females like Loki. Most of it was dumb, but since it was done by a man, we should not be surprised. I liked his humor, and his ability to laugh at himself. Also there are certain changes in his personality that make him more likeable. See "Thor 2."
I watched Thor again and picked up on things that become more important later.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:43 pm

I think Loki is a brilliant character. Especially as the villain in The Avengers, and then as the Anti-Hero in Thor 2. He's a villain who you like. That's so important and so difficult to get right. Tom Hiddleston is superb.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:23 am

Frelga wrote:Hm, people liked this.

I rented Thor last week expecting to be entertained, but that movie was so dull. Except for Loki, of whom there was not enough, and the parts with Thor without a shirt. So when I read the reviews that said that the second movie "lacked the sparkle of the original," I just wrote it off.

But it's got Loki...

Hm. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

TBH, if you didn't like the first film (a situation I find almost impossible to comprehend, but anyway..) I don't think there is much point watching Thor2 as it is fairly similar in tone etc.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:24 am

Hobbituk wrote:Tom Hiddleston is superb.

Yes, Erin reminds us all on a daily basis.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 am

I agree. I am really fairly close to being a fan-girl about him. The fact that he is less than 1/2 my age is no barrier, is it? :lol: :roll: :blush:
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 am

Yes, I do fangirl Hiddleston just a tiny bit. =:)
I think I'll wait till video, so I can ff through parts without Loki.

Gungnir, I gather you liked the first Thor? I am curious, were you a fan of the comic books before watching the movie. I am not into comics, but I enjoyed Iron Man and the Avengers, and even Iron Man 2. The tone I don't mind. Thor was just boring. except for Loki's parts, which felt too rushed.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby siddharth » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:49 am

Frelga wrote:Gungnir, I gather you liked the first Thor? I am curious, were you a fan of the comic books before watching the movie. I am not into comics, but I enjoyed Iron Man and the Avengers, and even Iron Man 2. The tone I don't mind. Thor was just boring. except for Loki's parts, which felt too rushed.

Have not seen Thor 2, but I sort of had similar feelings.
I am not a big fan of any of the Avengers movies anyway (not even THE Avengers :roll:) but as films they are still entertaining.
Thor, however, I felt was boring. I think that's perhaps because I find Thor quite dull. Too one-dimensional for my tastes.

In unison with all, Loki I liked. :D And Natalie Portman too. ;)
Last edited by siddharth on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:52 am

Thor 2 is indeed similar in tone to Thor, but then it does also have a little more of the fun from The Avengers carried over into it too. It helps that they got Joss Whedon in to rewrite one or two scenes.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Frelga wrote:
Gungnir, I gather you liked the first Thor? I am curious, were you a fan of the comic books before watching the movie. I am not into comics, but I enjoyed Iron Man and the Avengers, and even Iron Man 2. The tone I don't mind. Thor was just boring. except for Loki's parts, which felt too rushed.

The last time I read a Thor comic was probably in the mid 70s, although I have read other Marvel comics that he appeared in, e.g. Daredevil: Born Again, Civil War (ok, that wasn't really Thor...). I was never a big fan of his and had severe doubts that a film of Thor would work or be made to feel like part of the Marvel movie universe. But I loved the film and Thor2 was even better.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby basil » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I liked both Thor flicks, more so than the "Avengers", which I thought was more than a bit silly.

Thor's German theme/culture can be criticized much like the German Wagner's music, overblown, self-obsessed and turgid, maybe even so far as cartoonish. I was a bit surprised at Hopkin's Odin as he was that, but Russo's Frigga was not.

And Russo died ( or did she? :) )

I think that's why Loki's so popular, besides Hiddleston's great performance, in that he pokes the pretense.

But the Hero is still the Hero, no matter how grandiose.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:41 am

I think that there needs to be at least one more movie with Loki as his issues are not sorted out, yet.

But, If I were Hiddleston, I would beware of too much association with Loki as he has a lot of other work ahead of him that does not rely on Loki.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Saw it last night. Tom Hiddleston proved that he was the best thing in the movie. Just fantastic.

My favorite laugh moment was when Loki was just first being himself around Thor. I can't explain more without spoiling . . . lots . . . but everybody who knows the mid-movie cameo scene knows the exact moment I'm talking about.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:10 pm

What is the cut off date, after which we can do reveal spoilers????
portia
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:20 pm

June 24th 2023, 5:23 AM and not a minute before. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Melwa » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:42 pm

How about Thanksgiving? Another reason to be thankful! :wink:
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:47 am

I will vote for Thanksgiving. Enough warning for those who do not want to be "spoiled."
Good Lord; A waltz through the fangirlish videos on YouTube is amazing.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am

Honestly, I've no idea why anyone would be reading a Thor 2 thread even a day after the release date if they were bothered about Spoilers :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:52 pm

I say spoilers are ok but.....

they have to be said in a sexeh River Song voice. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:24 am

How can you tell?

On Thor 2, I think that Thor's personality is expanded, and he is not so dull and goody goody as he was, earlier, as he is the one who thinks up the solution to the threat, and it is devious enough to impress Loki. I was interested in how they showed just the bare minimum of planning for the solution, and left the audience to be as surprised as the bad guys. That worked.

I had never seen a Thor comic, ever. So it took me two, and on one point, three viewings to get what was gong on. But I think it all became clear, except for one item that I am sure was left deliberately ambiguous.

Later:
I have been viewing videos by Hiddleston and others talking about Loki and Loki/Thor relationships, and Henry IV/Henry V. I like to listen to actors who really think through what they are doing and can explain it. He is very well able to do that. At one point in a ComicCon interview the interviewer asks about the "betrayal scene," and Hiddleston gently warns him not to make to many assumption about it.

I agree that the dialog in that scene in the throne room doesn't lend itself to Thor knowing who he is really talking to. And, you have to wonder whether that one episode would have been enough for Thor to hand over Asgard to Loki. It is also possible that if Loki is just playing around being King, one time, he can go off on adventures more easily than if he has committed himself to it. It is certainly ambiguous.
Last edited by portia on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:56 pm

A Thor 2 thread! Yay! :) I liked the movie, I really liked it. I was slightly confused, but after a little research it made a ton more sense! Loki was absolutely awesome, he's probably the best actor in the movie. And I really enjoyed Thor, and not just because he's hot, I thought he had more 'personality, if I can use that word, then the first movie. And I actually enjoyed the first movie, even though it felt a bit rushed. But it definitely left itself open to a third movie, especially with the 'first' ending.
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Movies - Other