Thor 2

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: Thor 2

Postby MeadowForest » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 am

I'm a little surprised by the general verdict here. I thought it was rather dull; it brought nothing new to the table for me. In fairness I hadn't seen the first film and we only went to see this because the other thing we intended to see was full up (boo!), but I really was willing to give it a go. It just wasn't a good film overall.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby Gungnir » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 pm

'De gustibus non est disputandum'
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby MeadowForest » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:15 am

Pardon? Is that directed at me?

Whatever you said, I am just stating my opinion! :)
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 am

The usual translation is "With taste there is no argument." I agree. I think that seeing the earlier movies would have helped you understand what was going on, but movie makers cannot rely on people seeing the earlier stories in series, so if it fell flat for you, the movie maker failed, at least with you.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:16 am

Gungnir wrote:'De gustibus non est disputandum'

= There is no disputing of tastes.

So chill! :D (LOL, reminded me of Elrond inviting the dwarves to dinner, this one. ;) )

The positive reactions here have prompted me to take a look into Thor 2. If I get off my schedules by the 5th ( I may), I'd try to get into one of it's last shows.

The first film was really flat and dull for me to be honest and I was actually surprised to know they're planning a sequel. But I will try to get in with a positive mind for this one. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:59 am

'Suum cuique'
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 am

Well, I have to admit that "Thor" was not that interesting, as it relied too much on formula. But Marvel has awakened to the possibilities of its franchise, so I expect the movies to continue to improve from now on.
Of course, Tom Hiddleston is a tremendous asset to Thor 2.
I have seen the trailers and listened to one interview about Captain America --The Winter Soldier and I think they may have a winner, there, too.

G: you will have to translate that one; you have exceeded my ration of Latin.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 am

Portia - 'To each their own'
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:22 pm

I believe it is Nov. 28, GMT.

I am intereted to know which people think Thor knew he was talking to Loki in that scene in the throne room and why. That is the thing I think was left intentionally ambiguous.
I think he knew, as that way everyone gets what he wanted. Thor gets to go live with Jane, with no regrets; Loki gets the throne, even tho' he had to hide behind an illusion of Odin, and Odin gets to retire, what he seems to have been wanting to do all movie.

But, it was ambiguous enough that if they want to go in a different direction, they can.

Any comments lf whether getting the throne will put Loki on a different path?

I must say, tho' it was a shock when Loki pretended to turn on Thor on Swartalfheim.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, I liked the way the plan was laid out, alternating with Thor and the others discussing it and the scenes of it being carried out. The audience was just shown enough to let them in on it a bit, but without giving it all away.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Portia, that's an interesting theory! One I hadn't thought off. I was thinking, based on the way the conversation went down, that Thor didn't know it was Loki. Which, ( in my theory) means Thor still thinks Loki is dead, Odin doesn't know Thor is on Earth, and Odin is either out looking for Thor, or Loki killed him, or simply wasn't there at the time Thor came to talk to him and Loki took advantage of that. But I could be wrong. I based this theory on how I thought the conversation went down and on things I read, or my sister read about that conversation on the internet. So its purely my own opinion and for debate:)

I was also shocked when Loki pretented to turn on Thor!

With the throne, I think, Loki will be an excellent ruller. Even Thor said Loki understood how to rule. Asgard, I think, would be safe and strong under Loki. But the other realms, will probably not be so safe. I see Loki attempting to expand his kingdom and wanting more. So, I'm not certain a throne will put him on another path.Though, I would like to see Loki turn and remain good:) But he is awesome at being bad, he does it so well. As much as I want him to be good, I think they'll keep him bad. But that's all my own opinions. I'd enjoy seeing what everyone else thinks:)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby portia » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:53 am

I also think that Loki will be a good ruler. There is a thread of ruthlessness in him that is necessary, but his recent experiences may have had a good effect.

The conversation with Thor didn't give away anything, one way or the other, so Marvel can go either way. but, making him the ruler of Asgard put limits on what the character can do in future movies.

I have been trying to pin down what the makeup department did to change Hiddleston's look so much (as compared with "The Hollow Crown"). Obviously, hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, and that makeup that evens out the planes in his face. Was the rest of the change acting? Just looking at him, in his normal face, one would not think he would have a mobile enough face, to change expression so much, but he does.

I hope everyone eventually got he word about BOTH scenes in the credits.

B. del Toro will have an unusual amount of makeup to deal with as "the Collector" and I, personally, find the character creepy.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Your right about his face! I finally saw pictures of Hiddleston just as himself and he doesn't look like he could change expressions like he does. It must be he's acting, like you said. Which again I gotta say, he is an awesome actor. Very talented, in my opinion.

Okay again you're totally right, the Collector freaks me out! He's creepy, I found that whole scene creepy. And I read on the internet, he's goal is to collect all the Avengers. Which, again, I find creepy.

And I'm really wondering what Thor 3 is going to be about. Because the only thing we're left knowing for certain is Thor is on Earth.
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby siddharth » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:21 am

Saw this yesterday.

And actually this is the first Marvel movie that I did like. :) (Avenger's I thought was okayish and overrated) but I like Thor 2 better than that. It is loads better than the first, agreed. I liked the SFX and action. I liked the partnership of Thor and Loki very much. :D
And though the characters have more depth than the original, they still feel quite shallow and not so interesting. I mostly got the plot though there are small bits and pieces I am still figuring out.
Loki was great! Best (and perhaps the only fully-developed) character by far. And he remains the best thing about the film.

As funny as the script was, I found the script in the Asgard-sections pretty weak and cheesy actually.

"You must think I am a piece of bread that needs to be buttered so heavily," was one of the dialogues where I laughed out straight, though I am quite sure the writers didn't mean it for laughs. ;)

Anyway, this is the first Marvel-film which I can say is pretty good. So that's a compliment I guess. :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:29 am

At the risk of sounding fan-girlish, you might be interested in checking out a few of the interviews that are up on YouTube of Hiddleston alone or with other actors. I liked especially the NT Times interview-Madrid, and the RADA (Royal Acedemy of Dramaic Art) interview. Also, the full bit he did at ComicCon in character.

I think the "butter" comment might have meant it partly for laughs, but also shows a little of Odin's personality.
Last edited by portia on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Melwa » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Sid - well, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Portia - that is a very different theory! I was thinking that Loki had just slipped into the throne room without Odin's knowledge. However, considering the gist of the conversation, I don't think of that scene as forshadowing as many bad things as the scene with "the collector" does.

I am quite happy to say that I had a hunch that Loki and Thor were faking his betrayal. :D Mainly, I had heard enough of Loki's motivations for helping Thor to believe him. I also could not quite comprehend that he would happy assist in his own destruction, as would be the case if all he wanted was "a front seat to watch Earth burn." Then of course, there is the obvious stupidity of standing up on a ridge and giving Loki back his dagger.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:59 pm

portia wrote:At the risk of sounding
fan-girlish, you might be interested in checking out a few of the
interviews that are up on YouTube of Hiddleston alone or with other
actors. I liked especially the NT Times interview-Madrid, and the RADA
(Royal Acedemy of Dramaic Art) interview. Also, the full bit he did at
ComicCon in character.

I think the "butter" comment might have meant it partly for laughs, but
also shows a little of Odin's personality.

Um, sorry but who is Hiddlestone? Yeah, you can laugh at my ignorance ! :D

And you mean Odin likes to think of himself as a piece of bread? ;) :P

ETA: I googled him. So he played Loki? I'll check the interview you mentioned. :)
btw, is it only me or does Hiddlestone looks like the perfect person to play Annatar -Sauron's fairer form?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:05 am

siddharth wrote:btw, is it only me or does Hiddlestone looks like the perfect person to play Annatar -Sauron's fairer form?

Or how about Fëanor?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:04 am

Either one, and there is no "e" on the end of hs name.

He, as compared with some other actors, is actually articulate!
He is either doing, or about to do, "Coriolanus" in London. I would think he is not well cast as Coriolanus, but he will probably manage it.* We can check on January 30, as it will be telecast.

*(He is too young for what I think of as Coriolanus, and not "soldier-ish enough)

Edit: The reviews posted on the Donmar Theater site are very good. Apparently he has taken the approach that Coriolanus is snobbish; looks down--seriously--on the "lower orders", etc.
I have bought tickets for the Jan 30 showing, along with a Shakespeare-loving friend, so I can report, if anyone is interested.
Last edited by portia on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby MeadowForest » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:00 am

portia wrote:The usual translation is "With taste there is no argument." I agree. I think that seeing the earlier movies would have helped you understand what was going on, but movie makers cannot rely on people seeing the earlier stories in series, so if it fell flat for you, the movie maker failed, at least with you.

Thanks for clearing that up. Had to be sure! :D
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:41 pm

He'd be great in both roles though I don't think he looks "Elvish" enough to play Feanor. But certainly has the intensity.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:22 pm

If anyone wants to see "Thor 1" for free, it is on FX tonite, starting 7:30 PST.
I wonder what they will cut.

Edit:
The problem with living in a mt. resort community is that everything is far away. Hiddleston's Coriolanus broadcast is about 35 miles away, or more. Of course, to be fair, that is one of the advantages, too.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Is anyone else planning to watch the "National Theater live" production of Coriolanus on Jan. 30 or the re-broadcast on March 6?
Tom Hiddleston is Coriolanus and the reviews are very good.

Please do not be afraid of Shakespeare!! Coriolanus is not a difficult play. It is about a man who is a great general, but totally out of his element in politics. That lack of understanding puts him in an impossible position. Different productions emphasize different elements of the reasons why he cannot "get" politics, but the point is still the same.
This would be a good chance to have a little Shakespeare, who is NOT MEANT TO BE READ, but to be seen on stage..
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 am

My daughter is a MASSIVE fan of Hiddleston. Her 18th birthday is on 30th January. Rather than have a massive birthday party etc. we have tickets for the live broadcast of Coriolanus which is being shown in the theatre of a local high school and she is over the moon about it.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:34 am

Very good for her! Is she already a Shakespeare fan, or is she being tempted into it because it is Hiddleston?
(I will have to go about 90 miles to see it. Lucky her)
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:46 am

portia wrote:Is anyone else planning to watch the "National Theater live" production of Coriolanus on Jan. 30 or the re-broadcast on March 6?

We (family) tried one of these a few months ago - Ken Branagh in Macbeth. It was a complete disaster. There was no audio for the whole of the introductory videos and when the play started we had audio only intermittently for around 10% of the time. Obviously we got a refund plus free tickets for future use but our first experience was garbage.

Has anyone been to any others? Are they usually reliable? Is it a good experience?
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:58 pm

We get different dates here, but yes, I'm planning to. It also has Mark Gatiss, Sherlock's Mycroft.

And they will also have Frankenstein with Cumberbatch.

Are there, like, a total of four actors in the UK? :twisted:
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Yes, sometimes it does seem like there are HOT! actors in the UK. Simon Russell Beale, who was Falstaff in "The Hollow Crown" is set to do, I think, King Lear.

I have to say that I think that it is great that Shakespeare is still one of the hottest playwrights around. I fell in love with him at 10 years pld, and have dragged friends--reluctantly or otherwise-- to see his plays ever since.

Back to the actual topic.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Luthriel_Greenleaf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:37 pm

I just really love Loki.
Luthriel_Greenleaf
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:47 am

Frelga wrote:Are there, like, a total of four actors in the UK? :twisted:

We go for quality, not quantity.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Gungnir wrote:
Frelga wrote:Are there, like, a total of four actors in the UK? :twisted:

We go for quality, not quantity.

Can't argue with that. :D
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other