Thor 2

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: Thor 2

Postby Arlaug » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 am

I agree with that one.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 am

Last chance to see Tom Hiddleston "live" on Thurs in "Coriolanus." I will be repeated on march 6.

Edit: January 30.

Gungnir: how did your daghter like "Coriolanus?"

I was impressed by it all. The transmission was perfect, and the production very good. My friend was unhappy about the total lack of scenery, but I am not bothered by it. I thought it was a bit more violent than stage productions normally are. But I was glad the fight scene with C and Aufidious was well done, as in stage productions it is fairly rare to see fight scenes that really look like the actors are trying to kill each other. The fakey scenes pull me out of the story, fast.
I had forgotten that Mark Gatiss was in it too. He did well, with a part that was more prominent than in most productions.
If you didn't see it, I suggest you reserve a seat for the March 6, re-broadcast.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 am

I've just managed to see Thor: The Dark World and I much preferred it to Thor - which I wasn't that keen on (apart from the bits with Loki). I wish there'd been more Loki in it, but I guess you can't have everything, particularly in a film called "Thor"!

Whilst watching it, I wasn't convinced by Loki's betrayal at all - it was too obvious, and when he said all he wanted was a seat to watch, that was a big clue; Loki is too ambitious to just ask for that! I was gutted when Loki "died" (although I suspected that he wasn't dead, since he's an excellent villain) but I liked the way it was done. I do now wonder whether his remorse was genuine. I'd like to think it was, because it makes him a more complicated character. I certainly hope there's some explanation as to what happened to Loki and how he wasn't dead! It clearly wasn't a hologram, because you can't touch them without them disappearing, so it clearly was Loki that got stabbed. Perhaps Odin got his body brought back and then brought him back to life (I recall a scene in S.H.I.E.L.D. about something regarding Asgards bringing people back to life, and of course there's Coulson who was clearly dead and brought back by mysterious means.). I find it difficult to believe that Odin happily gave the throne to Loki, though. Does that mean Odin is also dead, Loki is pretending to be Odin whilst Odin is still wandering about, or Loki has done something to Odin and hidden him away? I agree that for Loki to remain a good antagonist, he's better off not on the throne.

Everyone who didn't wait until the very end credits did miss out on quite a funny little scene. :) Hopefully you can find it online.

portia, I don't think Tom Hiddleston will have to worry about being typecast as Loki. :D He's already shown his acting talent by appearing in The Hollow Crown, War Horse, Midnight in Paris and The Deep Blue Sea. :)

By the way, just for clarification, I am a Loki fangirl, but I have been since I read the Norse mythologies several years ago. He always seemed to be the most interesting of the Norse gods. :) Of course, the Loki in the Avengers is not the same, but he's still an interesting character and of course Tom Hiddleston is a great actor. :)

I wish we could see the livecast of Coriolanus but it doesn't appear to be on particularly close to us, and I've just checked the ticket price! Wow! Considering I'm not working at the moment, I'll pass, I think. (I don't mind paying that much money (or a bit more) for a theatre ticket, but not for a cinema ticket.) (Also, it's on a work night, and we'd be very late home.) Hopefully it'll come out on DVD and then I'll get a copy. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Arlaug » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Is Tom staying after the play for meets? I just saw this very low q pic of him with Helena Bonham Carter, right after Coriolanus http://31.media.tumblr.com/1e9272546d7d ... o1_500.jpg
I think I'll always weep for the scene of Thor/Loki ("I did not do it for him)"
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Apparently so. There are a number of pictures from cell phones on youtube showing him talking to fans after the play.
He was in a Jaguar commercial that was shown at the Superbowl. It was something about the quality of British actors as villains in movies and some reltionship to the cars. Didn't make a lot of sense.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby darthgandalf99 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 am

Counting down the days until Thor 2 comes out on blu ray. It was my favourite blockbuster of last year, probably even more so than DOS. :D

I also pretty much agree with what Portia said about the ambiguous scene with Loki at the end.
darthgandalf99
Shield Bearer

Postby oldtoby » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:15 am

portia wrote: Didn't make a lot of sense.

most commercials don't. though i'll take that over schmaltzy sweet commercials any day.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:56 pm

If any of you guys has a Vudu account you can watch Thor 2 early. I watched Thor 2 last night with my family :) last year we watched AUJ 2 weeks before it came out. :)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby portia » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:59 am

Thor 1 was on last night. There were as many commercials as movie.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am

4 days until it is out on DVD!!!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Thor 2 is out today :)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gungnir » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 am

Got the blu-ray yesterday. Watching it tonight, which is appropriate as today is Thursday.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:31 pm

I got it Tues. I had to go back, as it wasn't set up at first.
Wed.was the second cataract operation, so I was not able to watch it but, ironically, Capt. America was on TV. I listened more than watched. This is realy strange. Now I can see distances without glasses as I haven't been able to since I was about 13. But I cannot read my medications bottles without reading glasses. I will have to wait about 6 weeks for my new lenses to settle in, then I can get new glasses.

I watched Thor 2 to get a clear idea of some things that I wasn't understanding at first.This is not unusual when the movie moves fast and is not very concerned about plot holes, but who cares about plot holes in a superhero movie?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Got the Blu-Ray and watched it with my family tonight. It went down very well.

The other week we watched 'About Time', the Richard Curtis time travel rom-com. Whilst it was by no means as awful as reviews and internet buzz would have you believe (there was some genuinely lovely stuff... and a wonderful turn from Bill Nighy), it was nowhere near as British as Thor 2. Despite being made by actual Brits. But that's Richard Curtis movies for you!

All of which is another way of complimenting how nice it is to see a big Hollywood film like Thor 2 that is set in another country but doesn't feel the need to treat it like a caricature.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:14 am

Yes, I agree that Thor 2 treated London as a real place, with traffic, people, etc. I almost expected to see damage in on the "Hop-on-Hop-off tour". London was a good deal more real than Asguard.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 am

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the absolutely fantastic 'All Hail The King' one-shot on the Thor DVD. Thor 2 was good but this is one of the best things to come out of the MCU so far.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Fabulous » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 am

I just watched this over the weekend, and I prefer the first one. Maybe because I was a bit sleepy when watching this I wasn't able to fully appreciate it.
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to Movies - Other