The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Postby Eriathwen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:01 am

I went to an early screening last night. This was the movie I‘ve been waiting for this year, even more than The Hobbit (I loved the first Hunger Games movie, while The Hobbit has been a major disappointment thus far).

It‘s a great movie. Beautiful. Emotional. Intense. Subtle, at the same time. I think the series have benefited from the change of director. The first movie had an intimacy and a certain indie vibe that I liked. Catching fire retains this to some degree, but it also feels grander and darker. This is still mostly Katniss's story, yet we get to see the greater scope of things. While watching the first movie I was constantly in fear for the characters, this one was not as frightening as it was maddening.

Jennifer Lawrence is, as always, amazing. I‘ve warmed up some to Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, though I still can‘t say I‘m happy with the choice. Finnick‘s as hot as they come, though I wish they‘d have given him more time to develop as a character. I felt a bit indifferent about Johanna, though, but maybe that's just me.

Things I didn‘t like were few. Too much exposition for my taste, for example, but that's a common problem in Hollywood. Also, the second part of the movie, once the Games started, felt a little rushed. As I remember, it was much the same in the book, them stumbling from one peril into another. Still, I think they didn‘t need to try and cram everything that happened in the book into the movie. I‘ve missed some of their quieter, lighter times in the Arena.

There were some other quibbles, but they were minor and didn't bother me much. Overall, I loved it. I‘ll certainly be going again, maybe more than once.
Eriathwen
Citizen of Imladris

Re: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Postby Melwa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I can't wait! I ALMOST went tonight, but decided against it. I'm definitely going on Sunday, though. :D
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:01 am

I actually had almost the opposite of your reaction. While I hoped to
like AUJ I ended up loving it.
The first Hunger Games movie however, though it was a great first watch
was simply not as good as the book. It lacked half of the tension and I
found that it didnt had that effect on rewatches . But it was still good and entertaining. :)

I would miss catching fire in the theatres due to schedules. But I hope you enjoy it Melwa! :D (you sure would). It has a great score of 89% on RT.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Melwa » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 pm

I saw it now - and it was great! A few problems, of course, but in general, it was what I expected.
I still miss seeing the prep team in the movies. I enjoyed seeing more of Haymitch's kind side. I mean, I know it's there, but still. I wish they would make the dresses the way Cinna designed them - I had pretty clear images in my head from the description, and theses don't fit. I think the wedding dress was ugly. I like seeing the action between Snow and Heavensbee. I got delicious shivers from seeing how Snow was already surrounding Katniss with white roses.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Eriathwen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:43 am

Melwa wrote:I wish they would make the dresses the way Cinna designed them - I had pretty clear images in my head from the description, and theses don't fit. I think the wedding dress was ugly. I like seeing the action between Snow and Heavensbee. I got delicious shivers from seeing how Snow was already surrounding Katniss with white roses.

I quite liked the wedding dress, it was very memorable. Not what I expected, but I wouldn't call it "ugly".

I thought Snow and Heavensbee's talks were too revealing. They probably wanted to be sure the part of the audience that has not read the book understood their motivations correctly, but I think most people could've figured it out without the commentary. It's not that complicated a story, after all, and there's no need to simplify it even more.

And the roses, yes! There were more of such little details that are important to the story yet easy to overlook, a nice nod to us book lovers.
Eriathwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Elmtree » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

I thought it was a good film, enjoyable, but Snow was too clueless in this. In the last film, Snow was superb. He looks like an easy target for the Rebellion in this one. I'd have preferred a little more subtlety. He wasn't nearly as scary a villain this time.

This one felt too much like 'any other movie,' hitting all the 'right beats', but it also lost something. Maybe it felt more formulaic? It still was a good film. It's been awhile since I read the book, and I forgot a few things, so I could get a little surprised. Though the surprises weren't really.

I quite like how we're seeing Katniss' spiralling downward. I didn't quite pick that up in the book (not until the third) but that's one problem with a first person narration.

Can I say I just love Haymitch? What perfect casting.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby siddharth » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:11 pm

Finally saw it. Given the hype and the fact that the second book was my favorite of the 3, I was largely underwhelmed. Bleh.
Well, as a film it's still good enough. :roll:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gadget2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:35 am

I saw it and enjoyed it. I will have to agree with others and say that it lacked some of the visceral immediacy of the first film, and the latter part, especially the ending, seemed somewhat abrupt. After seeing this film, I went and read the first book; it was okay but not great. I actually enjoyed the movie more. I haven't bothered reading the second book yet. I will say that the new Game Keeper guy had me fooled until the end: I thought he was odious bad guy number 2 throughout the film and kept scoffing at his evil plot suggestions to President Snow that never panned out. I mean here they were being all evil plotters, and it seemed that every time the plan to discredit Catniss backfired or didn't work out.
Gadget2
Shield Bearer

Postby Melwa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Gadget2 - :rofl: :rofl: That's great! I'd read the book, so I was noticing how the Gamemaker kept making obviously useless suggestions, because he didn't want them to succeed.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:49 am

Okay, just so you know, I admit I am

A.) a johnny-come-lately
B.) non book-reader

I've just seen these two movies. Is rebellion old news?

Perhaps I've stumbled into the wrong thread. I viewed the movies and what I saw was a call to arms.

But I wonder how many young people heard it? Rebellion, after all, is a young person's game.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby szczurolapka » Mon May 18, 2015 3:06 pm

nice movie but not as good as book
szczurolapka
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Movies - Other