Academy Awards - 2014

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Academy Awards - 2014

Postby siddharth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Here's the list:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/1 ... 89577.html

I would love it if "Gravity" wins Best Picture, though I think it is an under-dog here.

"12 years.." may win it.

Gravity can win the best score as well, I loved it. ( how disappointing for HS not getting the nod even though the DoS score was genius)

3 nominations for DoS: VFX, Sound-mixing, Sound-editing.

Big-suprirse for DOS not getting nominated for costume-design or production-design.

Another surprise: Pacific Rim not making it to the VFX-nominees.

Predictions?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Academy Awards - 2014

Postby oldtoby » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Despite not being nominated for anything I will win everything.

:wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 am

Being a huge Dench and Meryl admirer, I firmly hope one of them will get a statue (sideing for a bit on Dame Dench's side). I am about to see Blue Jasmin and I have high expectations which Cate will, no doubt, reach. Gravity can easily snug in several categories, tho my heart is with 12Y and Fassbender. The man should've won everything during his Shame time.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Fabulous » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:27 pm

I still have to get around to seeing most of them. :|
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby Democritus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:50 am

Of the nominated Best Picture I have seen so far, I would like 12 Years a Slave to win, with Cuaron as a deserved recipient of the Best Director Prize (with McQueen as my favoured alternative). I have seen all the nominated films except Her and Dallas Buyers Club, and I am keen to see Her, when it finally arrives in the UK in mid-Feb.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 am

I am hoping for Gravity to win.
Though, given the Academy's inclination to period-drama over scifi-fantasy, I think it is less probable.
I think Cuaron is still ahead in the race for directors though.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby ILvEowyn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

For the Hobbit, I would be happy if it at least won Sound Mixing (for Smaug's voice).

Of the Best Picture nominees, iIve actually only seen American Hustle, and I did like that.
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:40 pm

ILvEowyn wrote:Of the Best Picture nominees, iIve actually only seen American Hustle, and I did like that.

American Hustle is also the only one I've seen, and although I enjoyed it, I don't think it's Best Picture material. I didn't have any connections to any of the characters - I felt the script was lacking in that department (although the acting was excellent).
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby siddharth » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Ah I see, that is one film I haven't seen heliona and probably won't. But I was thinking of it's chances.

My predictions:

Best film: 12 Years a Slave
Best director: Gravity
Best Actor: Chitewel Elijofer (12 years)
Best actress: Cate Blanchett
Supporting actress: Jeniffer Lawrence (incredible! two oscars in two years! :shock: )
VFX: Gravity (I wish DOS won! :P )
Animation: Frozen of course
Cinematography: Gravity
Soundtrack: Gravity
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:03 am

Am I the only one who thinks Jennifer is a bit over-estimated?
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby oldtoby » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:43 pm

yup. :P
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:26 am

That be sacrcasm, aye? Nevertheless, I frankly and openly say, the girl can act but the word around her is just a wee too much.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 am

Arlaug wrote:That be sacrcasm, aye? Nevertheless, I frankly and openly say, the girl can act but the word around her is just a wee too much.

I quite agree, though I think she did act very well in Catching Fire (okayish in the original Hunger games) and I haven't seen "Silver linings.." or "American Hustle".
Though I still give credit, fetching two oscar nominations this early in her career is commendable. But all the buzz can turn her head around, who knows.
I'd always thought Emma Watson was the best "young'un" in H till JL won the oscar.

(Never believe in oscars anyway! ;) :P )

[quote=""heliona]American Hustle is also the only one I've seen, and although I enjoyed it, I don't think it's Best Picture material. I didn't have any connections to any of the characters - I felt the script was lacking in that department (although the acting was excellent).[/quote]

Oh good to know. I was wondering what all the buzz was about. Haven't seen it, but I did feel from the plot that it isn't something that usually wins an oscar. Does it deserve for a "Best picture" nomination even, heliona?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:18 am

She did very well in SLP, much better than in HG but what I am personally bothered is the overall extravagance and oozing amazement produced 'round her. And then there's, say, Gary Oldman, who had been around in movie-business longer than she's alive without a statue. These are clearly subjective matter so I will state I have nothing against her, she's adorable and all. But the fuss I will not understand.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 am

Arlaug wrote:She did very well in SLP, much better than in HG but what I am personally bothered is the overall extravagance and oozing amazement produced 'round her. And then there's, say, Gary Oldman, who had been around in movie-business longer than she's alive without a statue. These are clearly subjective matter so I will state I have nothing against her, she's adorable and all. But the fuss I will not understand.

I see what you mean and I am in unison with that. But the Oscars (or any awards) have never really been reference point for good acting.
Plenty of deserved winners sitting out there.
But I think the publicity around JL started only after she was nominated, which is a very expected reaction.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby jotnar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 pm

I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but I find the Academy Awards close to meaningless as any real sort of qualitative judgement regarding cinema. It reminds me of the "World" Series in baseball; a national event dressed up as internationalist triumphalism. Grumble grumble grumble...

As you may guess, my favourite films rarely win Oscars. :D
jotnar
Shield Bearer

Postby earendil81 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:10 pm

I am sure you know that it is actually Jennifer Lawrence's third Oscar nomination her first being for Winter Bones, I believe the same year Hailey Seinfeld was nominated for her role in the remake of True Grit.
Granted the noise around her is becoming a little too much; to be honest I thought that Naomi Watts should have won last year for her amazing interpretation in Impossible (still can't get over the fact that Ewan McGregor and the young boy playing their son - can't recall his name - were not nominated for best actor and best in a supporting role).

As far as I am concerned I hope Gravity does not win. Sorry I am having more and more issues with movies that are actually entirely "fake". Can we see true places and will you stop with the CGI already; I get it sometimes it's necessary but an entire movie on a green background and then have the CGI team do the rest is not directing to me. But eh I don't know anything and it's only my opinion.

I haven't seen all the movies but I have enjoyed Blue Jasmin and did not enjoy Captain Phillips so much...
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:43 am

earendil81 wrote:As far as I am concerned I hope Gravity does not win. Sorry I am having more and more issues with movies that are actually entirely "fake". Can we see true places and will you stop with the CGI already; I get it sometimes it's necessary but an entire movie on a green background and then have the CGI team do the rest is not directing to me. But eh I don't know anything and it's only my opinion.

I'm not sure I share the opinion that it's not directing (although I'd go along with the opinion that I don't know anything) but I do think films with significant characterisations or settings provided entirely by CGI should be classed as animated films.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 am

Characterizations (as in actors) I agree should be classified as animated. But settings, as in sets, I do not agree. Many movies have "fake" sets (that was only a hillside in Universal City, not a hillside in Rome) and (that is Mexico or I ndonesia, not Viet Nam.) so settings are very often fake, brought in in pots, or CGI.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:19 am

portia wrote:Characterizations (as in actors) I agree should be classified as animated. But settings, as in sets, I do not agree. Many movies have "fake" sets (that was only a hillside in Universal City, not a hillside in Rome) and (that is Mexico or I ndonesia, not Viet Nam.) so settings are very often fake, brought in in pots, or CGI.

Fair enough. Those 'fake' sets are still real, though, even if they're not in the location in which the film is set. Building a convincing set and drawing one on a computer depend on different skill sets.

The question is, is a matte background 'real' or cartoon?
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:57 am

earendil81 wrote:As far as I am concerned I hope Gravity does not win. Sorry I am having more and more issues with movies that are actually entirely "fake". Can we see true places and will you stop with the CGI already; I get it sometimes it's necessary but an entire movie on a green background and then have the CGI team do the rest is not directing to me. But eh I don't know anything and it's only my opinion.

Aah, sorry Eari. I disagree on that. Most of the time, the director has to resort to "fake" settings because they simply cannot shoot in a real setting like that or perhaps the settings just do not exist. Gravity for instance. They could not shoot a film in actual space, could they?
By your account then, all space-films should be barred from any best picture race because there simply can't be a *real* film like that.
Actually, that will exclude all high-fantasies or horror-films and some historical films as well, because they are all "fake". Since real environments like those do not even exist. Which would be a shame.
Gladiator won the best picture, and one of the big reasons for that perhaps is that it had a distinct Roman-feel to it. Which would have been impossible if they had not used CGI to build the Roman capital and all it's buildings and the Colloseum. Building a real set like that would be ... well ... crazy!

Also, the definition of "fake" here, I feel is vague. As portia suggests, plenty of old (and some new) films took resort to artifical sets rather than actual locations. Creating an artifical forest rather than shooting in a real one (it could be a compulsion as the reasons are many. Life-risks, budget concerns blah blah...) And those films still won many awards - some of them even the best picture. The use of CGI instead of sets can be seen as just an attempt for perfection. A fake forest is far from perfect but CGI one may not be.
Imo, even a mostly CGI'd film could be awarded a best picture or director award, if you felt it was real despite you knowing that it isn't. I think that is a very high form of art if done right.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:58 pm

From actor's perspective also, CGI sets are far more demanding and require an incredible amount of strength at work than natural ones. If for example we're to analyse any LOTR movie, there are probably thousand examples for it. Just imagine standing infront of a blank curtain of black/green/white, with just some pipes here and there to create different platform levels, and there's a voice of a director going "Yeah. Right from the start, Thor, that one up there is Asgard". Sure, it is fake to the point we're never going to see 99% of it, but then, what is essentialy real? If we go by it, we're bound to re-create the stories vaguely and blankly which underestimates cinematography as art which, by at least one definition, requires and settles for the un-real, even rather than real.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Fabulous » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 pm

My predictions, though I still hope to see more of the Best Pictures:

Best Film: 12 Years a Slave
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Best Actor: Chitewel Elijofer
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto
Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Animation: Frozen
Cinematography: Gravity
Soundtrack: Gravity
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:06 am

With BAFTA awards behind, I don't expect any changes for the Statues http://awards.bafta.org/award/2014/film
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:07 am

Not sure if it belongs here but,

http://www.empireonline.com/awards2014/

Empire awards given by the public (via voting), And seems like DOS being in the lead with 7 nominations with 12 Years at 6 nominations. And Gravity at just 4. (In stark contrast to the Oscars)
I already voted Martin Freeman as the best actor because he's just so likeable!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 am

I think for the first time after 7-8 years or so I finally agree with most of the decisions by the Academy.

Here is the list:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/osc ... d=22740618

Not a surprise, but I am glad to see 12 years winning the best Picture. Deservedly so. ( a part of me was wishing that Steve McQueen had won the best director) I am also delighted for the young actress from 12 years winning the supporting actress award.

Very happy to see it win 7 Oscars!!! Gravity I mean, of course. It deserved the VFX and the sound categories. But I am also glad to see it win best editing and score as well. Both of which were phenomenal. And yes, I am happy for Cuaron too. If he hadn't won it, that'd be the snub of the decade.
The only major shock, I think, was American Hustle not winning a single award out of the 10 nominations. None for the acting.
And especially for the screenplay. That was a big shocker.

ETA:
And it was good to see a more family-oriented Oscar show after the sexual jokes from last year. Thanks to the host, who I thought did a very good job.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Fabulous » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 am

I agree with the Academy's decisions for the most part. I still have to get around to seeing some of the other films that were nominated.

What did you guys think of Ellen as the host?
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:20 am

I am also pleased with overall results, especially concerning Lead Actress :D
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Return to Movies - Other