Downton Abbey

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Downton Abbey

Postby Arlaug » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Are there any watchers on this board?

EDIT-PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Unaware as I was of existence of the same topic, I employ you to discuss and post in the original section you can find on the following link viewtopic.php?f=43&t=104213
Last edited by Arlaug on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Re: Downton Abbey

Postby Wildwood » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Yep! Me! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I haven't seen any of the current season, so far. I am on Directv, and because of where my house is situated, we can't get PBS. So I have to get it through Amazon Prime, or similar service. And if I am going to do that, I am going to wait to the end, and binge it out in a day or so! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I do love the show, though. So good! Hated the way Matthew suddenly died, but since the actor had decided not to continue, they had to do something. It was just such a shock! Poor Mary - seems she is doomed to unhappiness! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:28 pm

I am also a fan. I was a fan of Upstairs Downstairs, too, years ago.
I wonder why the actor who played Matthew decoded not to go on. Is episodic TV that mind-numbing. Is there so much work lined up for him that he needs to take it?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Arlaug » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am

Oh, Wildwood, there's plenty much up for Mary to handle, believe me.
As far as I've gathered, Matthew aka Dan Stevens was either fed-up with his role, in a way/too busy to keep up going with a hecticness that was produced by international broadcasting/some papers in UK reported he was asking for a raise he didn't get but it's an ugly story. Personally I think it's the first reason; he was playing a role of Matthew for three years. One can assume it gets tiring. Perhaps the whole deal became too much of a stress that he decided to take a break.
Yet again I think Lady G. said it far better https://31.media.tumblr.com/aca57c36498 ... o3_250.gif

To be quite honest, it was a shock to see it done so abruptly and, for the most part, seeing Mary grieving though most of S4 was particulary sad. Michelle did a splendid job on it. But I found a sight for sore eyes right about the middle of S4 so I cannot wait for the next turn.
I wish they give Cora something to do. But I expect some tumbling in S5 for her and Robert, they seem to have a bumpy roads every two years or so.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby portia » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 am

Do the writers give the Dowager Duchess of Grantham the best lines, or is Maggie Smith able to turn "Good Morning" into a memorable line? She really is something!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:29 am

Excuse me for being a pain: there is already a Downton Abbey thread around here...in fact, I thought this was the same thread until I saw how few posts there were. :) Several of us have been commenting (except me because I am SOOOOOOO far behind!)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Arlaug » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

Oh that is my fault, I am a newbie so I didn't look around properly. Do we switch to that older one then?

@ portia, I think it's both. She is a one-liner, famously because of her attitude and stylish performance, but screenplays did make a hell of it.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:20 pm

It's okay, I'm just reminding everyone. :) It might be a good idea to either switch to the other one or maybe change the name slightly (something like Downton Abbey Central! or something. ;) )

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby heliona » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Perhaps copy the relevant posts in the other thread: Downton Abbey (started by Wildwood) so that the conversation can be continued, and also post the link to it in your first post so anyone who clicks on this thread knows where to go? :)

I suspect that a Mod will be along shortly and would do something similar and lock this thread, anyway. :D

(I only watch Downton Abbey at Christmas when I'm visiting my parents - which makes it interesting, trying to work out who's who! :D)
Image<-- Merry Christmas!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:39 am

Good idea.

Rob is going away the 7-8th and I plan on watching season two then, then hunt for season 3. Anyone have season 3 disks they'd loan me?

IrisBrandybuck

Return to Movies - Other