Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Postby siddharth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 am

Trailer

I thought the previous film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, was very good (and much underrated), so I am looking forward to this!

Plus, I consider Caesar to be Andy Serkis' best achievement in mo-cap. (I said best achievement, best performance would be Gollum).

They also have Gary Oldman in the human-cast, which is also great.

It comes out in July 2014.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Postby siddharth » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Standing a 92% at Rotten tomatoes. and 81% on Meta.
Folks are staying it ought to be nominated for Best Picture.

Not sure about that, but I may go to this anyway! The trailers are amazing! ( I wish WB took lessons from this marketing for The Hobbit)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby BagginsGirl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:48 am

I haven't seen the new one,but watched the first one a few days ago and really liked it. It was a good movie, though it did leave me feeling really bad for Ceaser.
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:41 am

I thought the first one was genius-ly crafted and acted.

It was a good movie, though it did leave me feeling really bad for Ceaser.

Then you should stop right there in this series. All the "apes" movies are quite depressing in that way, as they all have sad endings, including the original film from '68. Which is a classic.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Saw "Dawn planet apes".
Simply superb.
Probably the best "Apes" after the 1968 original, and at some rare moments betters even that.

Pros:

-All the apes form the heart of the story. Serkis is even better here than in "Rise". But it was Kebbel's Koba who seemed to be the main attraction. One of the best blockbuster villains in the recent times - and even then, I won't classify him as a pure villain. I do sympathize with his motivations and a lot he did was more logical and practical than what Caesar did.
-As expected, the CG was breathtaking. The same goes for cinematography, which was just top-notch.In those aspects, it is this year's Gravity.
-It was a deep film, the effect of a degraded society on a civilization which is only at it's infancy and it's loss of innocence. A commentary on war and peace. (the sharp contrast this film so frequently uses between peaceful and violent scenes)
-Anyway, if you're just in for an action-thriller, this won't be disappointing as well.

Cons:

-The humans were flat. I thought the film spent more time fleshing out the humans than they should have, in the end, having not much effect on the film after all.
-I expected more from Gary Oldman's character. He isn't there that much, sadly.
-The score was a bit of a downer as well. At times it was brilliant, but not throughout.
-The ending may feel a bit cliched with collapsing towers and all.

But, it's a definite go-go!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to Movies - Other