The Marvel Studios' films, in general

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: The Marvel Studios' films, in general

Postby Frelga » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:33 pm

I actually didn't recognize Lee. :oops: But he did a great job.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:32 am

I am not necessarily a fan of silliness in science Fiction (or any other genre). It can get overwhelming, so that you can't follow the "plot."
"The Avengers" group was not silly, nor meant to be. That was in spite of plot holes you could drive a myunir (?) through.
I do love invention in Science Fiction, and I think that Groot qualifies.(It will never happen, but I just flashed on a meeting between Agent Coulson and Groot. (!))
I was very disappointed in The Collector. After a big Buildup in Thor 2, he falls apart as a person who can control his collection. I hope he redeems himself.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 am

portia wrote:"The Avengers" group was not silly, nor meant to be. That was in spite of plot holes you could drive a myunir (?) through.

Mjolnir.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:14 am

siddharth wrote:GotG gives me hope, as a matter of fact.

I did just say it was an unusual and a more character-driven superhero film. If the CG had been reigned in somewhat it would be an excellent film.All that dazzling action leaves me too numb to enjoy the more good quality parts. I saw "Encounters of the third kind" today and cannot express enough how much I loved the minimal use of Animation. Sharply contrasting nearly all the Marvel films here.

And yes, Avengers, at least to my eyes suffers from what I said. I don't think it is meant as a spoof or something. But that ain't the main thing for me anyway. The whole Michael Bay style climax puts me off immensely everytime I try to watch and like the film. The first half was pretty good though.

But I'l restrain my tongue, anyway. :)

(my bold)

Yeah, this is a problem I had with GotG too. It's the old duffer in me coming out. I just can't understand why they spend all that $ on flashy effects that are only on the screen for a tenth of a second before they cut to the next flashy effect. (this is not unique to GotG of course) Otherwise it was great fun...except that Karen Gillian needed more time and fewer cliches. But I really liked it except for that.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:37 am

GlassHouse wrote:except that Karen Gillian needed more time and fewer cliches.

More Karen Gillan is always good :love:
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:58 am

Hobbituk wrote:I've read maybe three Marvel comics ever, always preferred DC, but the Marvel films just keep beating the DC films
on every level.

Except the Dark Knight trilogy, imo. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Not about movies, but is there really a Marvel comic in which Loki goes speed dating? I must see it. :!:
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Gungnir » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:39 am

So, Benedict Cumberbatch is (almost certainly) playing the Sorceror Supreme, Doctor Strange.

Opinions?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:50 am

I just heard about it yesterday. Apparently, many fans wanted Oded Fehr for the role. Personally, I'd much rather see Fehr. Much as I like Cumberbatch, he's in EVERYTHING these days, and meanwhile Sherlock is not getting filmed. Besides Fehr is h0tt, even if he has aged since the Mummy.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Gungnir » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Oded Meh.

I think Cumberbatch will be great. And it will make a change to see him not playing a villain for once.

And now we know about a whole raft of Marvel films over the next five years - e.g. here on IO9

• Captain America 3: Civil War on May 6th, 2016
• Doctor Strange on November 4th, 2016
• Thor 3: Ragnarok on July 28th, 2017
• Black Panther on November 3rd, 2017
• Captain Marvel on July 6th, 2018
• Inhumans on November 2nd, 2018
• Avengers: Infinity War Part One in May 2018
• Avengers: Infinity War Part Two in May 2019

Safe to say I'm fairly excited. And good news that, with Captain Marvel, there will finally be a female lead
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 pm

That is exciting!

And brilliant news about Benedict Cumberbatch, such a brilliant actor, will be great seeing him as part of the Marvel Universe.

The Avengers stuff (and cross-overs) is very exciting. I hope it all continues to link into 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D' too.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Don't forget Hobbi that Marvel/Netflix are also making TV shows set in the same universe, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, with a big crossover- The Defenders. Oh and Agent Carter.

I think this will be looked on as the golden age of comic adaptations in years to come.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Almost forgot Ant-Man coming up as well.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:24 pm

I looked at IMDB to see what Marvel comics has coming out, and there are quite a few, even if we only count the ones that Hiddelston is in.

I think they need to consider the dangers of over-exposure. Of course, I haven't been a comics fan, so for someone who is, this may be Heaven. But, a lot of people are not fans of the comics. . . .
portia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 pm

I'm not a fan of the comics - I've never read a single one - but I love the films. So loving the comics and loving the films is not at all synonymous, portia.

I will say that perhaps over-exposure might be a problem. However, the quality of the films as action films (whether or not you are into the source material) means that people who like action films will like them.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby portia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:44 pm

I agree, Marvel isn't "going cheap."
Good actors, good writing (considering the sources), good directors, and good CGI--even though I think there is too much of it.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 pm

I was surprised to discover that the US doesn't have the earliest release of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Not that I'm complaining, we rarely get movies before the US.

(also have to agree with dearest Frelga on Oded Fehr. :) )

Coffee with Vader...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Frelga » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:02 pm

The new Ultron trailer is up, and it looks epic. Can't wait!

I got sucked into the fandom a bit, six months after seeing the Winter Soldier. So now I know enough about the comics plot line and the contract situation of certain actors that I expect the MCU will take a distressing turn in the future.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby notlistening » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:04 pm

For those going to see Avengers: Age of Ultron, there are no extra scenes at the end of the credits. There is one a little way into the credits but no need to wait til the end...unless you want to. 8)

Coffee with Vader...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Frelga » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:36 am

And now the Civil War trailer is out. I'm not sure how I feel about it.It looks down to a personal conflict, rather than the epic, civic struggle.

And they never said who Martin Freeman will be playing.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby siddharth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:22 pm

So, I managed to see all Capt Americas, Iron-mans, Thors and Avengers (plus GoG) and I'm still not really clear about the massive craze following the MCU. I liked GoG and the first Iron-Man a lot. But all the others are just full of cookie-cutter tropes, cliches, bland bad-guys (Loki seems to be the only memorable villain from MCU so far...) a just too self-satisfied in general.
Gonna watch Ant man today, and I expect to like it.It looks a bit different. Let's see.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:17 am

Siddharth, What did you think of Ant Man? I think I enjoyed that more than most of the recent MCU movies. I'm also 5 episodes into Daredevil season 2. Possibly even better than Season 1
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:01 am

Actually I loved Ant Man. It so openly embraces the ridiculousness of it's hero, that I couldn't help but smile through the film.
Oh, and Paul Rudd is a really likeable hero. (So was his latino sidekick)
The plot was standard fare but overall I liked it a lot. :D
(So I'm excited for civil war now. For him, and the Black Panther guy)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:57 am

I just recently realized that Paul Rudd was in Clueless. He aged well. :)

My complaint about the Ant-Man was that it was not sufficiently madcap and over the top action. They jammed a family drama in the middle of a ridiculous superhero movie, and that just drags.

Civil War is getting great reviews from the early screening, and unlike the BvS, those are general audiences, not studio insiders.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Ladykat » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Going to see Civil War next Friday.

I haven't seen all of the Marvel movies, and I've read none of the comic books. I've been on websites that talk about the comics though, enough to know the movies don't strictly follow the storylines.

I do think I will see Dr. Strange, but only because I like Benedict Cumberbatch. :)

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

And now we have a civil war...

Postby prmiller » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:13 pm

In all honesty, the Civil War story in the Marvel universe of stories,
deeply saddens me...and disappoints me. One begins to wonder:
"Why superheroes?"
The gift of rain for the glory of green. Ah, May!

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Arlaug » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:36 am

Ladykat wrote:Going to see Civil War next Friday.

I haven't seen all of the Marvel movies, and I've read none of the comic books. I've been on websites that talk about the comics though, enough to know the movies don't strictly follow the storylines.

I do think I will see Dr. Strange, but only because I like Benedict Cumberbatch. :)

LK

+ Tilda Swinton for me; accurate and under the belt or not but hers was a casting that totally blew my mind. I can't wait to see her.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Billobob » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:14 am

I thought that the civil war movie (Captain America 3) was pretty cool. But if you haven't at least watched captain America 2 and the two avengers movies then civil war will not make sense to you. In this sense civil war is kind of the first MCU (Marvel cinematic universe) movie that can't really be nearly as good as a stand alone movie. That being said the movie did tie up a lot of threads from previous movies, had two epIc fights (maybe more), introduced two new characters to the MCU, and did a good job of showing character growth. Out of a score of 1-10 1 being absolutely awful and 10 being a classic I'd say civil war was an 8.
Billobob
Rider of the Mark

Postby The Nameless Thing » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:25 am

Saw Dr. Strange Saturday. Wifey and I were supposed to doing a date night, but she had to work late so I went alone.

Good flick. The plot was clever and the movie was FULL of action. Not as good as the Avenger's movies (but that is a high standard).

BTW, don't leave when the credits roll, wait. There is a tie-in to the rest of the Marvel universe at the end of the credits.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:19 am

A 90 second "sneak peek"/trailer and the first teaser trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2:

Sneak peek: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-galaxy-2-trailer-debuts-918138

Teaser trailer: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/watch-baby-groot-steal-the-show-in-new-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-teaser-trailer-051513884.html

Baby Groot is brilliant! :love:

This is the Marvel film that I've been anticipating the most. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other