The Marvel Studios' films, in general

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: The Marvel Studios' films, in general

Postby BagginsGirl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am

I know this thread is about marvel movies, but ( if you don't mind my asking), what do you all think about Thor being replaced by a women in the comic book series? Cause I kinda don't like it, but was wondering if I was the only one who felt like that.
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby portia » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:30 am

Strong women are a good thing, but this is an established character and not changeable to a woman. One more reason I do not read comics!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:35 am

I initially thought "But -but-but-Thor is a male!" but then I thought "Thor is a deity so probably doesn't have a particular alignment. So why not?" Thor could even be Thora. :P

It kinda helps that I didn't really like either of the two films. First one was plain dull. The second one I liked quite a bit on my first viewing but subsequently, found them empty as well except for the visuals and Loki. So here's hoping this Shieldmaiden would make it to a better set of films.

ETA:
Amazingly, DC Comics also have just recast Wonder Woman as a Man. :shock:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:02 am

http://9gag.com/gag/aWZVOo2?ref=fbp

:D

ETA:

Also, an accompanying song, for those of you who've seen Frozen. ;)

"Do you wanna build a stormcloud?
Come on lets go and play!
I am hardly fighting anymore
I am getting bored
Throwing lightning bolts your way!
I used to be so manly!
But now I'm not.
Where did I get these robes?
Do you wanna see a woman?
Disney decided I am a woman.
Not a ... guyyyyy."
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:57 pm

That for real? Huh.

I didn't care for the first Thor movie (except that Hiddleston is in it :oops: ) and haven't seen the second. I dunno, except for mythological roots, I don't see why Thor can't be a woman.

In other Marvelous news, Nathan Fillion tweeted an enthusiastic endorsement of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Which is encouraging.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:45 am

Frelga wrote:That for real? Huh.

I didn't care for the first Thor movie (except that Hiddleston is in it :oops: ) and haven't seen the second. I dunno, except for mythological roots, I don't see why Thor can't be a woman.

In the comics, Thor is basically any human worthy of being Thor and who holds Mjolnir (the hammer) so Thor being a woman doesn't violate any of the (rather loosely) established rules . Thor in the movies is a person and changing his gender would require a rather bigger change to the continuity.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 pm

I think the image of Thor as a Disney princess is pretty funny and wouldn't be at all surprised if Disney decided to make a musical cartoon version out of it.....and then promptly sued the Scandinavian countries for copyright infringement.

Disney tends to screw up everything that has any historical or cultural roots that they get their hands on, even if it's just a comic book. Just look what they did to fairy tails.

(and they own Star Wars!!!!)
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 am

GlassHouse wrote:Disney tends to screw up everything that has any historical or cultural roots that they get their hands on, even if it's just a comic book. Just look what they did to fairy tails.

They have done a superb job with Marvel so far.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Well my post was not entirely serious but generally speaking, anything that gets the Disney Princess treatment sucks - and that's what the joke was about. Mostly that's the stuff they target at kids, something like Pocahontas, a story with real historical roots that were pretty much ignored in favor of the pretty princess theme.
But I admit IRL ,they probably won't turn Thor into a princess.....probably.

Also, I wasn't really up on which films based on marvel comics were made by Disney and which weren't...so I looked it up. Looks to me like it's just the ones produce by Marvel Studios, which is owned by Disney. That's not that many out of all the films based on Marvel characters, IMO some were OK others not so much, mainly the Iron Man films (both) and Thor I didn't care for- but that's just personal opinion.

and since they hired JJ Abrams for Star Wars and after what he did to Star Trek I am really unhappy about Disney right now.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby BagginsGirl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:17 pm

At first I thought Thor was literally being turned into a female. Like the guy was being turned into a girl. But what I read later said Thor ( the man) would become unworthy and couldn't pick up the hammer, so he isn't Thor. Then a women who is worthy picks up the hammer and becomes Thor.So, guy Thor is still in the story but isn't called Thor,cause he doesn't have the powers of Thor.Did that make sense? I'm still not thrilled about it though....

:)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby portia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:25 pm

I think that post pretty well sums up why I do not read the comics.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 pm

GlassHouse wrote:Well my post was not entirely serious but generally speaking, anything that gets the Disney Princess treatment sucks - and that's what the joke was about.

Well, Frozen was fantastic. Beauty and the Beast is very good as well as Snow White. Not sure if Nala can be said to be a Disney Princess but Lion King was excellent as well. Oh, and Mulan of course.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Telemachos » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm not in love with any of the Marvel Studios movies, although AVENGERS was very entertaining. By and large, I think they're competently made but rarely rise to anything special -- then again, while several are mediocre, there aren't really any out-and-out horrific train wrecks.
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:12 am

Telemachos wrote:I'm not in love with
any of the Marvel Studios movies, although AVENGERS was very entertaining. By and large, I think they're competently made but rarely
rise to anything special -- then again, while several are mediocre, there aren't really any out-and-out horrific train wrecks.

Wheee. Finally someone who feels the same as me! :D
Was beginning to think I was alone there!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Will seeing Guardians of the Galaxy change your mind?

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby portia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Didn't do much for my mind. The Thor/Avengers group benefitted from a fairly clear and straightforward plot line. Captain America 2 was much less clear, and I think did not work as well. Guardians was darn near incoherent, in many spots. I must say, I loved Groot, and Starlord held up his end pretty well. But, whether I would ever want to see another episode of this group is unknown.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 pm

notlistening wrote:Will seeing Guardians of the Galaxy change your mind?

Well,folks are saying it is great SW style fun. And it doesn't take itself too seriously. (the biggest issue I have with Avengers)
So I might. :)
but will wait for TV. ;)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Heck. I did go and saw it in the theatres. (only because of some free coupons)

It was ... okay. (my reaction to most Marvel films.)

It was great fun with very witty dialogues and characters. I liked Lee Pace's character as well.
But everything was almost completely drowned whenever the loud-bang of visual effects and overblown action set-pieces, that make the Barrel-ride and Smaug-chase from DOS look subtle, came up.
It had some great potential though. Wasted.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Guardians Of The Galaxy is brilliant, happy, clever, funny JOY.

I have seen it twice.

The Avengers is still my favourite Marvel film, but Guardians now runs a close second.

Leave cynicism at the door, this is a film for the 7 year old inside every single person. Boring grown ups will not enjoy it, but that's OK, it's not for them. They can all watch pretentious guff like 'Gravity' and pretend 'Sci Fi' is serious business. I want to see a film where a laser gun wielding Raccoon rides a talking tree into battle.

EDIT - And Sidd, you thought The Avengers took itself seriously? Really? I mean, REALLY? I mean... well, that's just... REEEALLLY??
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:45 am

Hobbituk wrote:Guardians Of The Galaxy is brilliant, happy, clever, funny JOY.

I have seen it twice.

The Avengers is still my favourite Marvel film, but Guardians now runs a close second.

Leave cynicism at the door, this is a film for the 7 year old inside every single person. Boring grown ups will not enjoy it, but that's OK, it's not for them. They can all watch pretentious guff like 'Gravity' and pretend 'Sci Fi' is serious business. I want to see a film where a laser gun wielding Raccoon rides a talking tree into battle.

EDIT - And Sidd, you thought The Avengers took itself seriously? Really? I mean, REALLY? I mean... well, that's just... REEEALLLY??

I don't need to post about GOTG because this post sums up everything I thought about it, apart from only having seen it once. And also agree with Hobbi's question to Sid.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby siddharth » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:16 am

Well, yeah.
Atleast the final hour is. (I quite like the rest of the film)

EDIT: My reaction for GOG might seem harsher than I meant perhaps. But I do like it best in the Marvel series, being an unusual film.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:35 am

What Hobbi said. :D

And Sidd, I think you should give up on Marvel films if you thought The Avengers took itself seriously and you weren't too impressed with GotG. I don't think they're the films for you. :D
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby siddharth » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 am

GotG gives me hope, as a matter of fact.

I did just say it was an unusual and a more character-driven superhero film. If the CG had been reigned in somewhat it would be an excellent film.All that dazzling action leaves me too numb to enjoy the more good quality parts. I saw "Encounters of the third kind" today and cannot express enough how much I loved the minimal use of Animation. Sharply contrasting nearly all the Marvel films here.

And yes, Avengers, at least to my eyes suffers from what I said. I don't think it is meant as a spoof or something. But that ain't the main thing for me anyway. The whole Michael Bay style climax puts me off immensely everytime I try to watch and like the film. The first half was pretty good though.

But I'l restrain my tongue, anyway. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Saw GoTG. It was tremendous fun, with a twisty plot, witty dialog, fun visuals and interesting characters. Drax totally steals the show with a touching performance.

I am left undecided it it was a failure of acting or writing that kept the movie from reaching the emotional impact of Firefly/Serenity, to which it has been compared. As it was, I didn't quite buy the gelling of the team, possibly because of the self-conscious way the script tried to avoid pompous speeches and went with awkward pompous speeches. Compare to Whedon giving Mal four words, "I aim to misbehave," and letting the actor do the rest. (Ok, more than four words)

Had they hit that note, it would have been a Great Movie. As it is, it's excellent entertainment, and I'd like to see more of the team.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:47 pm

In fairness, 'Firefly' had had more than 12 hours to make the team gel before the 2 hours of 'Serenity', GOTG had to do much more, much quicker.

I agree that 'Serenity' is probably a superior film, and for the reasons you stated, but I'm not certain I'd feel the same if it weren't for having seen the series first.

But GOTG was (like most Marvel films now) pleasantly 'Whedon-y'
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Well, I did see Serenity first and felt the same. And at the start of that movie, Inara and Book are gone and Mal is about to send Simon and River away. So they are almost starting from scratch, team-wise.

On the other hand, I am not familiar with the GOTG comics, so I didn't see it as an adaptation. Don't know if that would make any difference.

But to be clear, I enjoyed the Guardians a great deal, and it is perhaps not fair to complain that a good movie was not Great.

Captain America 2 is still my favorite Marvel movie.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm not familiar with the graphic novels either. I've read maybe three Marvel comics ever, always preferred DC, but the Marvel films just keep beating the DC films on every level.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:00 pm

No argument on that point! 8)
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby notlistening » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Totally agree with Hobbituk. GOTG was super fun and as silly as I'd hoped. We need more silly out there in the world. Avengers is still my favourite Marvel film but GOTG and Cap 2 are running a very close second.

I didn't feel a Firefly vibe coming from the film but as Frelga pointed out, I don't know this team of accidental heroes. And didn't recognise Mr Fillion as Monstrous Inmate. Mr Lee on the other hand, is very easy to spot.

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby portia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Mr. Fillion as Monstrous Inmate!!?!
Oh, Heck. Now I will have to see it again.
portia
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other