2014 TV shows

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

2014 TV shows

Postby portia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:10 am

Anyone want to comment on new TV shows, or new seasons of old shows??
portia
Ringbearer

Re: 2014 TV shows

Postby portia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:49 pm

OK, well, after seeing a few:

Scorpion has possibilities. They need to use the different characters better.
NCIS: New Orleans is good, but then I am a fan of Scott Bakula.
Madame Secretary. Love it!
Constantine is too "over the top" for me.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:09 pm

I haven't even heard of Scorpion and Madame Secretary. I don't own a TV, so unless I specifically go looking for a show I've heard about, they don't tend to cross my path.

Right now the only new show I'm watching is Star Wars Rebels, which I LOVE. Also watching Doctor Who (done for the season) and Legend of Korra (so good this season!). I was watching Agents of SHIELD but am really behind -- at least this way I'll have some episodes to marathon! :D
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't own a TV

And just how long have you been a member of Al Quaida then? =:)
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 pm

GwenElf wrote:I haven't even heard of Scorpion and Madame Secretary. I don't own a TV, so unless I specifically go looking for a show I've heard about, they don't tend to cross my path.

Right now the only new show I'm watching is Star Wars Rebels, which I LOVE. Also watching Doctor Who (done for the season) and Legend of Korra (so good this season!). I was watching Agents of SHIELD but am really behind -- at least this way I'll have some episodes to marathon! :D

"Scorpion" is about a group of geniuses who try to resolve problems.I do not think they are using the team's unusual talents very well.
"Madame Secretary" is about a Secretary of State who spent (I can't recall how long they said) as a CIA agent, and solves her diplomatic issues sometimes by trickery. But, if it isn't war, its diplomacy, right?
Since I do not believe in "Constantine's" premise, The rest seems over the top, to me.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Fabulous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:24 pm

The usual for me. Just keeping up with The Walking Dead heading into the mid season finale. I'm more of a movie guy. 8)
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:27 am

I've heard that Scorpion is a load of rubbish. The computing behind it is nonsense, it seems. I've not seen any of the episodes (although I've seen the trailers) but I've read the plot of the pilot and it does seem like nonsense. I'm not a great fan of how "geeks" and scientists are portrayed on television, as though they're all obnoxious and have no social skills. As a geek myself - with many, many friends who are, too - it's insulting. (I love The Big Bang Theory, but even there, the stereotypes are a bit insulting.)

I'm watching my usual "mediocre American drama" is it's been called in this house. ;)

The three NCIS shows (I do like the new New Orleans one in particular), Bones, Arrow, The Flash, Nashville, Hawaii Five-0, stuff like that. Oh, The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Haven, Sleepy Hollow and my favourite, Supernatural. And of course, S.H.I.E.L.D, which I do love. I've not started watching Constantine yet.

Edited to add: I've just seen the pilot episode of Dominion - I was a bit unsure about it initially (just for info, I've not seen the film, Legion, upon which the television show is based) but it grew on me, once the action started. I have to say, I think I'll continue to watch it, if only for the Archangel Michael. :D (It does remind me of the angel storyline in Supernatural, though.)
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Ninui » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:59 pm

Fabulous wrote:The usual for me. Just keeping up with The Walking Dead heading into the mid season finale. I'm more of a movie guy. 8)

Me Too !!!! TV hasn't been that entertaining for me for the last few years. Starts out good then turns so predictable.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Don't think I'd like Constantine -- it sounds rather like Supernatural, which I tried to watch and disliked. It looked like a good show, but it was just too dark for me. I understand that (in general) bad things have to happen in order for there to be conflict, but when I got to the episode about the shapeshifter torturing and murdering women while disguised as their husbands/boyfriends, I had to stop.

Heliona, bogus science and computing doesn't tend to bother me, but I know what you mean about the stereotyped portrayal of geeks on TV.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:56 am

I work nights so I have a hard time keeping up with new TV shows but I do watch The Walking Dead and am trying to catch all of the last episodes of Colbert before he leaves for the vast wasteland of network teevee. I stopped watching Sleepy Hollow b/c after a year break btween seasons 1 and 2 I lost interest.

What I'm wondering is has anyone been watching Gotham and is it worth trying to catch up on?

I've also seen a lot of hype about Arrow....any good?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:34 am

I've been following Castle for a while, but lost interest this season. Other than that, I usually do my time wasting on the internet instead of the TV. :D
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby notlistening » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:25 pm

NCIS: New Orleans is good, but then I am a fan of Scott Bakula.
Madame Secretary. Love it!

Same for me. I'd add Haven, Person of Interest and the Newsroom to that list plus most of Heliona's list of shows. Trying out The Flash, but it doesn't seem as good as Arrow. I'm going to try out the Librarians as it seems a good cross between Warehouse 13 and Indiana Jones.

Funnily enough, I do watch the Walking Dead, but FFWD through the most gory bits.

Castle has its ups and downs. I still watch it and Bones, though they have now been relegated to the non ratings part of the year. I don't mind. Gives us something besides sport to watch over summer.

I tried watching Gotham but hated it. Why is there such a need to make almost every show MA15+ these days? You don't really need strong violence, sex and nudity to make an enjoyable show.

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby heliona » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Ooh, yes, did I forget Haven? I really enjoy that show.

Now I'm working full-time, I don't get to watch as much. The train's so busy that I tend to read instead of watching something on my tablet (and I'm enjoying what I'm reading) so things are backing up. :D

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby notlistening » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Heliona, Working for a TV company has its advantages...though I probably watch too many shows. ;)

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby heliona » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:40 pm

notlistening wrote:Heliona, Working for a TV company has its advantages...though I probably watch too many shows. ;)

I watch too many. But I like them all - I do have my favourites (Supernatural I think is the top of the list.

I've just started watching the new Constantine and I rather love it. :)

heliona

Postby portia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:34 pm

I watched Arrow for a season or so, but then it got lost in its storyline and I stopped.
Although I like Castle and Bones, I can see why they have paled for some. After a program is on a while, it can run out of ideas.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Fabulous » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:42 pm

For any Walking Dead fans, what are you looking forward to in the second half of Season 5?
Fabulous
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:57 am

I would like to see Carol have more closure to Sophia's death and for the two whom she killed in the prison,(sorry. their names escape me right now). It looks like she may because of the books she took when she and Darryl were leaving the clinic. She's got to stop self doubting herself have more confidence in what she's chosen to do. Why do I have to wait till February ?????
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 am

So it's not 2014 anymore. :D

I saw only one Agent Carter episode so far, but I really liked it. She and Jarvis make a good team, and I like that they did not shy away from the reality of the post-war rather abrupt relegation of women from the roles they took while the men were fighting, no matter how good they were at them.

Forever, following Carter, was also very watchable, given how much I like Ioan Gruffudd. I'm not actually sure that his character being immortal adds much to the show, except making it less like Sherlock with the cheekbones and deductions, and, thank goodness, without the endless sass. I like the warmth they gave him.

I'm quite pleased with ABC, all and all.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby basil » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:42 am

Justified starts ts final season tonight. The writing & actors in it are so very good, IMO. I watched Sleepy Hollow nearly religiously b/c the culture shock of time travel still interests, and it had Denethor in it. Wondering if we've seen the last of him. I've seen bits and pieces of the other shows mentioned above, but nothing to inspire true devotion.

Still a Simpsons fan after all this time.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Was given season 2 of "Person of Interest" as a Christmas gift. Just finished watching it Friday evening. I do enjoy that show and will get season 3 when it comes available on dvd.
14 more days till "Walking Dead" comes back on. 8)
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:41 pm

9 more days till "The Walking Dead" comes back on . .. :hair: :hair:
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:30 pm

23 1/2 hours before "Walking Dead" returns :D :D :hair:
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby andurilwest » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:42 am

"The Musketeers" is pretty good. Started 2014, continuing this year. Fake Wormtongue from the Hobbit flicks is King Louis.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:29 am

Catching up on this last season of Vikings, which we discussed earlier. It's on the History Channel. I think this is a pretty good show. it satifies my need for medieval adventure/fantasy. Kind of a poor man's Game of Thrones (no dragons). I mean a poor man as in one who already pays too much for cable and doesn't want to shell out for HBO - not that the show is inferior in any way, it' s not.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 am

So, the season finally of The Walking Dead. Anyone see it?

Brilliant.

Can't say much more without giving away spoilers but I will say that I think the show (which could have gotten stale) has set up a great moral conflict in the difference of world view between Rick, Morgan and the Alexandrians.
I think we can already predict which side Carol and Glenn will be on. The odd thing is that I think it's Rick who will be the most conflicted. He's almost become Shane but I think he'd welcome a way back....maybe.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Billobob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:33 pm

Gwen elf said:
Right now the only new show I'm watching is Star Wars Rebels, which I LOVE. Also watching Doctor Who (done for the season) and Legend of Korra (so good this season!). I was watching Agents of SHIELD

You have good taste Gwen elf.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 pm

Glasshouse .. I try not to speculate too much on my favorite show. I always come out on the wrong side of it. But I do agree with you on Glenn & Carol. Daryl is on the fence right now in my opinion but I don't think he'll ever go against Rick. They're to "bonded" for that to happen.
I truly was on the edge of my seat watching this episode. They repeated it early the next morning and I watched it again !!!! Carp and carp again. Have to wait til October to see if we're right. Carp !!
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby GlassHouse » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:36 am

( Carp?) I've never seen that before... :) was that you or the infamous TORC word filter?

Yeah the long wait between season is really annoying isn't it? I really hope they fulfill the potential this conflict seems to set up. We'll have to wait and see.

But I wanted to say something about Vikings too. I've been noticing just how good the show looks. There were scenes in the last ep that were just beautiful in the detail of the sets and clothing and especially in the cinematography. Saying "it's like a painting" doesn't do it justice.
The difference between this show and something like Game of Thrones is that in GoT they rely somewhat on the fantasy settings and creatures for a wow factor. Vikings has to keep the sets and locations realistic and much less grand (if not 100% historically accurate). But that hasn't stopped them from making them beautiful to look at.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Saw the word "carp" here on another thread when I first started posting so It was my understanding that certain words weren't allowed. So I started using the word in place of another that is spelled with the same letters. No harm no foul.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Movies - Other