Kubrick Films

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Kubrick Films

Postby siddharth » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:50 am

Stanley Kubrick has long been one of my favorite directors; though 2001 was his only film that I'd seen.
So recently I decided to go through most of Kubrick's famous stuff.
I've seen "Paths of Glory", "Spartacus", "2001" and "The Shining". I have yet to see Dr.Strangelove. I'll probably pass "A clockwork orange" as it seems too dark and unpleasant kind of a film for me.

I loved "2001" of course.

Also liked "Paths of Glory" a lot.

"Spartacus" I have mixed feelings about. At times it feels too drawn out and stretched, though the cinematography and art-direction is spot on.

'The Shining' is his only film I didn't much cared for. I found the film memorable for only two reasons; the score was incredibly creepy, and the atmosphere-build up to create that sense of isolation. But as a horror film, it failed - as in to scare me even a little (besides the occasional eeriness of the score).
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: Kubrick Films

Postby LleuLlewGyffes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Oh, you have to see Dr Strangelove; it's Kubrick's magnum opus. And although it is deeply disturbing, A Clockwork Orange is worthy of anybody's time. In fact, it's hard to find a Kubrick film that doesn't demand watching (check out Barry Lyndon), even Eyes Wide Shut, which contains some sharp observations on power elites and is, ultimately, a necessary subversion.

Congratulations on your exposure to a cinematic genius.
LleuLlewGyffes
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Elrond Hubbard » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm

siddharth wrote:'The Shining' [...] failed - as in to scare me even a little.
Stephen King's works do not translate very well into film, it seems, or maybe he's just an overrated author? The concepts are usually so silly that it's hard to buy into the plausibility of it, in the first place ... much less be scared by it. Like a possessed car? You know ... I'm just not capable of being concerned about my car becoming possessed - and I consider myself a good Catholic!

Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket was a fine film about the Vietnam war. 2001 needs a good edit and it would be wonderful, in my opinion. I love the look of the piece, it can't help but appear dated in ways, but the Seventies' aesthetics seem to concern themselves with organic shapes, colors and textures, which I find very appropriate for a space movie, where everyone's living in artificial environments. Kubrick's not one of my favorite directors, but I consider him an artist and that's something that's been lost on Hollywood director's, these days. They just throw a ton of money at a middle-of-the-road screenplay and there's not much artistry involved with it.
Elrond Hubbard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby jimmyaustin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:33 pm

I recommend The Killing, which is about a group of crooks plotting to rob a race track (horse racing) venue. It's from 1956, Stars Sterling Hayden. Also Lolita, his adaptation of the Nabokov novel. James Mason and Shelly Winters. I just mention these because they can get overlooked, especially The Killing. The Killing is very entertaining and full of action and suspense. It isn't difficult or challenging to watch. There's nothing to offend the average moviegoer.

All the better known and later movies of his are wonderful.

Now, if he had been chosen to direct The Sound of Music...
jimmyaustin
Shield Bearer

Postby paggylipton » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 am

"The Shining" is a best movie ever. :wink:
"A Clockwork Orange" is good too, but "The Shining" is way much cooler.
paggylipton
Petitioner to the Council

Postby ngaur » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:49 am

Clockwork Orange is not infact very dark except in theme. Great music.
ngaur
Ranger of the North

Postby Arassuil » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 pm

His best:
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Sparticus
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket.

Worth seeing once:
A Clockwork Ornage