Star Wars 7: what do you think about it?

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Star Wars 7: what do you think about it?

Postby Billobob » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:41 am

Is anyone interested in Starwars 7? Since the opening of the movie is a couple of months away I thought it would be cool to discuss this. So state your hopes for this next movie and your fears. Speculation on the plot,ending,etc. is welcome, but try not to bag on Disney,J.J Abrams, etc to much.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Re: Star Wars 7: what do you think about it?

Postby Elrond Hubbard » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:14 pm

The STAR WARS movies have gotten progressively worse as the franchise has dragged on. Phantom Menace was celebrated when it first came out, though, and only afterwards became badmouthed. But make no mistake, it was highly appreciated during its original run. I'm very sure that history will repeat itself, in this regard, with THE FORCE AWAKENS. It will be loved during its theatrical run. But before too long, it will start to get hated on, probably because the story will be weak and repetitive, as I suspect it will be. Hype and nostalgia will make it a ton of money, but when that wears off, it will be considered very overrated. The original cast is not going into this with the same enthusiasm they brought to "A New Hope." They're just there to relive glory days and make a quick buck. I doubt any of them really cares. But their presence, alone, will elevate the weak script, I'm sure. Just enough so you don't feel that your money was wasted ....
Elrond Hubbard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Elrond Hubbard wrote:The STAR WARS movies have gotten progressively worse as the franchise has dragged on. Phantom Menace was celebrated when it first came out, though, and only afterwards became badmouthed. But make no mistake, it was highly appreciated during its original run. I'm very sure that history will repeat itself, in this regard, with THE FORCE AWAKENS. It will be loved during its theatrical run. But before too long, it will start to get hated on, probably because the story will be weak and repetitive, as I suspect it will be. Hype and nostalgia will make it a ton of money, but when that wears off, it will be considered very overrated. The original cast is not going into this with the same enthusiasm they brought to "A New Hope." They're just there to relive glory days and make a quick buck. I doubt any of them really cares. But their presence, alone, will elevate the weak script, I'm sure. Just enough so you don't feel that your money was wasted ....

Yes my theory is that either starwars 7 will try to be original but not classic enough or they'll just repeat the same thing with not enough originality.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Elrond Hubbard » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:01 pm

It seems to me, also, that George Lucas borrowed very heavily from LOTR for Star Wars, from the Sting-like blue lightsabre, to "Return of the Jedi" as a sequel title. Some of the names and environments, too, seem very derivative of Tolkien's works, at times. But if you're going to steal, I suppose ... steal from the best! haha ... Just please, don't have anybody say in this next one, "I have a (very) bad feeling about this" or "here's where the fun begins" ... I think we've been there a little too often, in this franchise. Time to come up with different phrasing, perhaps?
Elrond Hubbard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 am

Elrond Hubbard wrote:It seems to me, also, that George Lucas borrowed very heavily from LOTR for Star Wars, from the Sting-like blue lightsabre, to "Return of the Jedi" as a sequel title. Some of the names and environments, too, seem very derivative of Tolkien's works, at times. But if you're going to steal, I suppose ... steal from the best! haha ... Just please, don't have anybody say in this next one, "I have a (very) bad feeling about this" or "here's where the fun begins" ... I think we've been there a little too often, in this franchise. Time to come up with different phrasing, perhaps?

I don't really think George Lucas stole from Tolkien as much as he just reiterated the basic tropes of fantasy, because Tolkien invented some of these archetypes but not all of them. If you want to talk about any possible "stealing" from middle earth to Starwars I think it would be best if you made a separate thread for that though it is an interesting line of discussion. As for the classic phrase of Star wars I agree it needs to be changed if only to give a new twist to the films.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:00 am

I hope that the story line does not try to do the same things, over again. There MUST be a new challenge for the Jedi/Force. IMO, one of the things that make a sequel a derivative and boring exercise is trying to tell the same story.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Billobob » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 am

portia wrote:I hope that the story line does not try to do the same things, over again. There MUST be a new challenge for the Jedi/Force. IMO, one of the things that make a sequel a derivative and boring exercise is trying to tell the same story.

Now that I think about it from what I've seen from the trailer is that most likely the story line will be too different not the opposite since JJ Abrams seems to be trying to go all out there away from what's done before.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Elrond Hubbard » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:45 pm

It is funny how STAR WARS likes to repeat itself, though, and History is definitely repeating itself, this time. Already, The Force Awakens is being met with the anticipation and excitement that Phantom Menace had and that's probably the best part about the franchise. The ability it has to engender these kinds of feelings from the general public - not just nerds - is really telling of the affection it is afforded. Whomever brings it to the screen is right up there with Santa Claus and Christmas Eve. What I find with STAR WARS is that it allows its characters to live in this very high tech world, where the entire Galaxy is just a jump a way through hyperspace and yet ... religion remains relevant, even if the masses don't subscribe to it. It's just as potent and - ultimately - necessary, as a blaster by your side. That's a wonderful theme to these movies ....
Elrond Hubbard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Billobob » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Elrond Hubbard wrote:It is funny how STAR WARS likes to repeat itself, though, and History is definitely repeating itself, this time. Already, The Force Awakens is being met with the anticipation and excitement that Phantom Menace had and that's probably the best part about the franchise. The ability it has to engender these kinds of feelings from the general public - not just nerds - is really telling of the affection it is afforded. Whomever brings it to the screen is right up there with Santa Claus and Christmas Eve. What I find with STAR WARS is that it allows its characters to live in this very high tech world, where the entire Galaxy is just a jump a way through hyperspace and yet ... religion remains relevant, even if the masses don't subscribe to it. It's just as potent and - ultimately - necessary, as a blaster by your side. That's a wonderful theme to these movies ....

It is funny how excited nerds (including myself) get so excited about Starwars. But what did you mean by religion being relevant in starwars did you mean the Jedi beliefs or a metaphor in the movie that talks about something more? Since if it's the latter than I see no metaphor of that sort in the movies.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby Elrond Hubbard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:10 am

Well, for a start, The Force Awakens has an opportunity to once again "reset," as it were, the definition of The Force back to what it was, originally, in A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. In both films, The Force is a euphemism for believing in yourself. The first movie, especially, does a very good job with that. When Return of the Jedi comes around Luke's all grown up and only has The Force because it's an heredity thing. Han believes in himself - seemingly - without it, but Ben sees that The Force is already with Han.

In the Prequels, of course, the Force isn't about your genes, so much, as your Midi-chlorian count. And any infant so-found with a high-enough concentration of this stuff is uprooted and moulded by the Jedi Order. Even when The Force was only about believing in yourself, The Force and its shepards - the Jedi - were solely responsible for it, in anyone shown in these movies. Like when Ben informs Luke that the Force (partially) controls your actions ... but it also obeys your commands. Similar to how miracles are performed, in Real-Life religions.

In Today's Reality, of course, we've already walked on the Moon and we're surrounded by all of this wonderful technology. People question how ancient, hokey religions can ever be relevant in such a world and are increasingly losing their religion. Intentionally, or not, this situation has been echoed in STAR WARS. A famous example is when Darth Vader, who's very existance depends on technological marvels, utters The Immortal Words: "... I find your lack of faith distubing."
Elrond Hubbard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby andurilwest » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:17 pm

I can't believe the New Republic hasn't crushed the Empire yet.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby Billobob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 am

andurilwest wrote:I can't believe the New Republic hasn't crushed the Empire yet.

Well there's actually a good reason for that. The main reason the Empire isn't dead is that the empire was so huge that even with the death star gone it was still a formidable force, yet with Palpitine gone the empire fragmented.
Billobob
Ranger of the North

Postby andurilwest » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:14 pm

New trailer is out.

Andurwhelmed.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 am

Well, I guess I will wait and see.

The sixth time around cannot possibly be as great as the first. My jaw was literally dropped open during the first, and I was not just happy about the movie, but it seemed to me that the whole genre of Science fiction was getting a boost. My co-workers thought I was nuts, but who was right?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:55 am

I saw the first 3 in the theaters (and on TV later, several times); I saw the second 3 on TV only, and just once. I know very little about this new one, since I haven't seen the trailers. Again, wait and see.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:34 am

OK--subtopic:

I have to ask what people think of the 7th version, in light of whatever they though of the fist version (a.k.a.Star Wars 3).

I have been a sci-fi fan forever, and was encouraged by Star Trek, even though it didn't do well in the ratings.
I was busy and didn't read a lot about the original of Star Wars. I just went to the theater.
When Darth Vader came through the door to the ship, I knew that this was a director who knew what Science Fiction was and knew how to make movies. I grinned through all the remaining movie. I was a horrible bore at work, as my co-workers were not fans--yet. In spite of a good write up in the L.A. Times, there were seats available the afternoon after it opened. I saw it several times more. There is nothing else quite like that Darth Vader entrance.

So. . . I will see what my reaction is to #7.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Aravar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 am

I really liked it. The characters were well done. It was good to see the old crew again and there were many good nods to the originals.

My main gripes are, first, that some of the plot was not very original, to say the least. Second, and this is a problem I had with Star Trek into Darkness is that JJ Abrams doesn't seem to have a handle on time and distance. He really needs to be sat down with a copy of H2G2 and forced to read the entry on "Space".
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Aravar wrote:I really liked it. The characters were well done. It was good to see the old crew again and there were many good nods to the originals.

My main gripes are, first, that some of the plot was not very original, to say the least. Second, and this is a problem I had with Star Trek into Darkness is that JJ Abrams doesn't seem to have a handle on time and distance. He really needs to be sat down with a copy of H2G2 and forced to read the entry on "Space".

I completely agree with all of this. JJ Abrams doesn't have much clue about astrophysics either, but I could forgive him a bit for this film than Star Trek.
Image<-- Merry Christmas!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Linden » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Spoilers OK I guess?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The originals came out so long ago I can't even remember what it was like to see them the first time - other than waiting between episodes was a form of mental torture.

A competent, nostalgic re-boot using the old plot themes - a movie-length trailer for the next films perhaps. Since this property is so well known I assume they wanted to draw the audience in without breaking much new ground other than introducing the new characters and setting the stage/taking care of old business. Can't blame them really I suppose (Disney and Abrams). Very enjoyable I thought, exciting in parts, emotional in parts. Wanted more 'character moments'. I am convinced Rey is Luke's daughter - ace pilot, his light saber calls to her, her ease learning the force.

Are the sequels to be a year apart? Two? I am curious to see where they try to take this, what they have cooked up for the Luke character (and how Mark Hamill does with it).

They sure pulled in a boatload of cash opening weekend. The cheque book should be wide open for the director.
Linden
Ranger of the North

Star Wars 7

Postby Chariot Rider » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:52 pm

On Friday I say the long awaited Star Wars. While I am a tolkienean at heart I set that aside for a few hours. I am still sorting through the details and trying to find the good and bad so here are a few thoughts.

1) SNOW! On a planet that is sucking in a sun
2) I get the feeling that the third Death Star was a bit to easy to destroy. The rebels had no knowledge or secret plans at thier side. They learn about it and then just send a party as if they do this every day (though it is feeling a bit repetitive)
3) was kylo rem to easy to destroy? A girl just picks up a lightsaber and just happens to defeat a sith lord. Hmmm...
4) how did the first order have the funds to build a battle station the size of a planet just 30 years after being defeated after the Rebels
5) if they had the funds to do it now why didn't they do it in the 4th or 6th movies?
6) Han solo just shows up out of the blue 2 minutes after the millennium falcon is flown of the planet
7) how did kylo ren get darth vader's mask?
8) why does Luke not have his lightsaber?
9) how does nene know about the force?
10) how did Finn not sink in the sinking sands of he half to walk all the way to civilization.
11) why is there an imperial cruser on jakku?

These are a few questions I had. Are these explainable or am I overlooking something.
Chariot Rider
Shield Bearer

Postby andurilwest » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:41 am

Andurwhelmed.

The story is by and large a retread of the first film, and there are bits and pieces that work if they were their own stories, but overall it feels hollow. The villains are piss-poor, and the original trilogy becomes meaningless if it just leads to the status quo in this one. No real desire to watch the rest now.
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:05 pm

SPOILER AHEAD...

Well, I liked the movie.
I think they used a lot of the original to tie the old to the new.
And, Chariot Rider, I don't think Rey destroyed the Sith Lord.
The ground open up before she could finish him.
Image MERRY CHRISTSMAS!!!!!

Join the holiday funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Chariot Rider, I'm going to try to answer some of your questions:

2) I get the feeling that the third Death Star was a bit to easy to destroy. The rebels had no knowledge or secret plans at thier side. They learn about it and then just send a party as if they do this every day (though it is feeling a bit repetitive)
3) was kylo rem to easy to destroy? A girl just picks up a lightsaber and just happens to defeat a sith lord. Hmmm...
4) how did the first order have the funds to build a battle station the size of a planet just 30 years after being defeated after the Rebels
5) if they had the funds to do it now why didn't they do it in the 4th or 6th movies?
6) Han solo just shows up out of the blue 2 minutes after the millennium falcon is flown of the planet
10) how did Finn not sink in the sinking sands of he half to walk all the way to civilization.
11) why is there an imperial cruser on jakku?

1. No sun = planet is dying, therefore, snow.
2. Good question. It wasn't "easy" but easier than I expected.
3. He wasn't. He's still alive, but more of a dark lord now. She could use the saber because she is a Skywalker (okay, it doesn't say that, but...geez, if she's not a Solo, she has to be a Skywalker!)
4.They have rich supporters. Seriously, that's how most evil empires get their funds. That, and stealing it.
5.Because they thought the death stars they had were big enough.
6.Because he's Han Solo! Other than that, I got nothing.
7.I'm guessing it was saved as an artifact by anyone who managed to get off the death star before it blew. Some people did get off. It might be a force thing too.
8.Because he made his own, the green one, in Return of the Jedi. Darth Vader points this out before they try to kill each other.
9.It seems to be something commonly known, though not everyone can use it the way a Jedi can. If you recall, Jabba the Hut had an idea about the force, as did others.
10.Good question. I guess because then there wouldn't be a story.
11.Part of the great battles taking place between A New Hope and Return of the Jedi and presumably after. There were battles taking place all over the galaxy during and between films. I guess if you damage one badly enough, it will land on the planet.

I really loved the movie. It reminded me of seeing the others the first time (ANH, ESB and RotJ). I admit, I cried at that one crucial point...sobbed pretty hard, to tell the truth. I'm very eager to see the next installment. I think turning the director reigns over to Abrams was a good idea.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:39 am

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was a comment on how Disney/Hollywood are cowards for reheating and regurgitating old ideas in favour of guaranteed profit rather than putting money into making something new of value.

Kylo Ren represents The Force Awakens in The Force Awakens... the messed-up grandson of a massively successful villain/trilogy who can never live up to the original so is just going to act meaner/bigger, including pointlessly wearing an unnecessary mask and killing off the lost-its-way parent trilogy on the Bridge of Not-Khazad-dûm.

I had a blast watching it (it was visually very impressive) but walked out of the cinema feeling that it was drivel (in my opinion, film is a visual medium for storytelling, not a visual medium period). I didn't care about any of the characters (I enjoyed Daisy Ridley's performance but I couldn't care less if Rey got killed at the end) and the lame jokes about the old episodes wore very thin very quickly. "You can type this sh!t but you can't say it," indeed. I don't care whose daughter/cousin/half-sister Rey is, or whether she rescues Ren from the Barking Mad side. I suppose I'm mildly interested to see if Finn and Poe get it on but I've a feeling that whole thing was them cynically playing up to the Ellen audience. Cynical is, in fact, what I think about The Force Awakens, actually.

But I expected nothing better, so I wasn't disappointed.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Calma » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:29 am

Well, I'm hoping that the first movie is just a means to pass the torch.
If Abrams does to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek
I'm going to be sick.
I liked the this movie enough to see the next movie.
So he best make it a different story than just picking things from the Star Wars universe
And putting them in a haphazard manner to make a movie like he did with Star Trek
Or he will lose me a many others.
Image MERRY CHRISTSMAS!!!!!

Join the holiday funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:37 pm

It was an interesting movie. Makes me want to see the next two. But...PLEASE!! Tell me I didn't see Jar Jar Binks in one of the final scenes! He CAN'T have lived that long!!!!

the doomed bird

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:23 am

NO! Oh, no...I hope you were imagining things, CR! I couldn't handle another film with that...that...oh, words fail me!

We might go see it again this weekend. We sat so close the last time that I actually missed things. I hate sitting close, but I hate sitting in a row with kids too, so it was one or the other...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Gorthaur the Cruel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Here's what one guy thinks of it.
Gorthaur the Cruel
Shield Bearer

Postby Minardil » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Okay, thought I'd take a crack at these questions:

On Friday I say the long awaited Star Wars. While I am a tolkienean at heart I set that aside for a few hours. I am still sorting through the details and trying to find the good and bad so here are a few thoughts.

Well, if "snow" is your biggest problem with that whole thing . . . :). Really though, Looking at the forested environment near the site of the super hyperspace death flame flower thing , it seems this planet naturally includes regions that experience winter.

I think that the Enginneers in charge of designing Death Star defensive systems should all be Force Choked. Really, do they leave that bit to the Marketing Department? But yes, that element was both repetitive and implausible, but I still liked the movie;)
He wasn't "destroyed", he was beaten by another Force-sensitive fighter. Remember that Kylo is NOT yet fully trained - he is taken to Snoke at the end to "complete his training". And it seems that the Force is stronger in Rey than in Kylo. Also, Rey is not a novice with hand weapons, she uses her staff with some skill, so with the force helping her she is able to make good use of the Lightsaber.
That is also MY biggest question! The Empire/First Order would have bankrupted themselves with the loss of the FIRST Death Star, let alone the Second. Building a third mega-weapon seems an economic stretch. I assume the First Order still controls a significant portion of the wealth and resources of the Galaxy.

It wasn't in the script for those movies.
Also a question of mine, but Solo DOES say he had been scanning for the Falcon, he must have jumped to it's location as soon as his sensors picked it up.
Perhaps someone smuggled it off Endor for him? Last time we saw Vader, he was on a funeral pyer on the Forest Moon. Maybe Kylo went on a pilgrimage to find it? His parents and uncle would have told him where His grandfathers remains were.
The light saber in this movie is Luke's FIRST Lightsaber, the one Ben gave him in Ep IV, the one which had belonged to Anakin Skywalker, the one Luke was holding in the great wind tunnel in the bowels of Cloud City when Vader cut his hand off. The better question is, how does ANYBODY have THAT Lightsaber? I guess someone in Cloud City maintenance found it way down at the bottom of that vast shaft??
11) why is there an imperial cruser on Jakku?
Wreckage from Space battles?? But also, as I understand it, Jakku is supposed to be one huge planetary junkyard, a dumping ground for all kinds of stuff. Perhaps it wasn't "wrecked" there so much as dumped for salvage?

These are a few questions I had. Are these explainable or am I overlooking something.
Minardil
Mariner

Postby andurilwest » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:06 am

andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Movies - Other