New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:02 pm

Ha, I'd say there's more than a passing resemblance to Pertwee's style, or maybe I'm just seeing things... ;)

Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I see those pics of the Doctor (be it Smith,Capaldi, Tennant whoever) and all i can think of is them saying "And for my next trick, I will saw a woman in HALF!!" :|
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Wildwood » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:28 pm

I like the look so far! :D :D :D :D :D :D He is magnetic, isn't he? I have only seen him in two shows. Once, in his earlier role in DW, in Vesuvius. And once, as that guy who kills his kids and himself, in Torchwood: COE. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D It appears I have missed some of his best stuff. My daughter showed me some quotes from that character.... :shock: . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I kid! I love a good cussword myself! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D But apparently, he raised it to a bit of an art form? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Anyhow - I like the look of him, and I thought the kidneys line was hilarious, and right on time, as I was feeling SO SAD!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D After stubbornly loving two new Doctors, I am ready to let him have a fair shot at me!! It is, in fact, the character I love, and not the actor! (Although - 9 will always be my fave!!!) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:13 am

Wildy, the Scots (and in particular the Glaswegians) have built up swearing as an art-form. :D Which is why I think it works so well in The Thick of It and sequel. If Peter Capaldi wasn't Scottish, it wouldn't work so well. :D
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Gungnir » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:16 pm

heliona wrote:Wildy, the Scots (and in particular the Glaswegians) have built up swearing as an art-form. :D

True but I think Liverpudlians could give them a run for their money!
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby heliona » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Having worked with both Glaswegians and Liverpudlians, I'm afraid a Glaswegian wins hand-down! :D ;)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Wildwood » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Well, they just need to come on round to where I'm from, and we'll see! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D We cuss in paragraphs! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Kiddin'. Mostly. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D But you know - a lot of Scottish people did settle here, way back in the founding years!! That could explain a thing or two! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby Gungnir » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 am

Heliona wrote:Having worked with both Glaswegians and Liverpudlians, I'm afraid a Glaswegian wins hand-down! :D ;)

**** off!
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Wildwood » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:24 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
That is all!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby MeadowForest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 am

I approve of Capaldi's look! I agree there is a similarity to Pertwee and I like how they're harking back to older Doctors a tad with this one. I don't watch too much of the modern Doctor Who but this I've got to see!
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 am

(Pssst... hey MeadowForest, you know there's an Oxford Moot in the offing again... go look in the Events forum, if you haven't already!)

I watched a few YouTube clips of filming (beware Spoilers!) and Capaldi's suit appears to be a little darker blue than the photos suggest. And the jacket is a nice length. I like it very much, actually.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:56 pm

No comments on the new trailer?
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:57 am

I'm sure you can guess mine. Mostly a sort of unintelligible noise of excitement.

My nephew is very excited about the dinosaur.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm hoping that our ABC will fast track it form the UK! The trailer looks brilliant. Nice to have a "darker" Doctor back. That's what I liked about Mr Eccleston. And David and Matt had their dark moments too.

Coffee with Vader...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby portia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:27 pm

I can't decide, but I feel there is something missing, from the trailer. Some quality, which I would expect. . . .
I will give it few episodes, and then I will either know, or the feeling will dissipate.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Portia, look upon this as a chance for Peter Capaldi to show his quality... :wink:

Coffee with Vader...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I'm not a Whovian but this might be of interest (or disinterest) to some here...

Peter Jackson to direct Dr.Who Episode at some point :Steven Moffat
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:08 am

I've read a bit about Capaldi and found out he's a Who fan, so I am confident he's not likely to miss the nuttiness and off 'kilter aspects. He doesn't look like that in his pictures, but it should come through.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:09 pm

tangentially Doctor Who related... Now i know why Karen Gillan was rocking the shaved look all those months ago during various DW related apperances. :lol:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Ms Coleman and Mr Capaldi are here in Sydney next week but I can't afford the $ or time to go see then sadly.

We are getting the Dr Who episode the same time as the UK though. I'm not getting up at 0450 in the morning. I'll be recording it and watching it about 630, so I have time to watch, get breakfast and be at church by 9am on sunday.

Coffee with Vader...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Peter Capaldi is a brilliant, brilliant man.

Steven Moffat is a brilliant, brilliant man.

Jenna Coleman is a brilliant, brilliant woman.

Strax, Jenny, and Vastra. All brilliant.

Dinosaurs are also brilliant.

As are Clockwork Droids.

And Glasgow.

And mysterious Scottish women.

Brilliant.

EDIT - I am aware this post basically makes me THIS GUY
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:05 pm

^ :lol:

Brilliant! ;)

I'm waiting to see it. I was holding out for the movie theatre but it's ONLY here Monday during hours I have another commitment. So I am waiting for amazon streaming to get it up- I'll probably see it tomorrow. Now I just need to avoid spoilery reviews until tomorrow. I've been over on the Who boards poking around but I've avoided major spoilers and I completely avoided the script leak spoilers from a few weeks ago. I want to be surprised. But I knew it was safe (at least today) to peek in here for a reaction.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby heliona » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 am

I may have a new favourite Doctor. :)

The only thing I didn't really like about the new episode (and series, I presume) is the new rendering of the theme tune. But I can live with it. :D I liked Clara, although I did think that the overemphasis on the changes of the new Doctor were a bit much (I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so sorry about being vague!). And the plot was a bit vague occasionally. But overall, I love Capaldi, as I knew I would. :love:

When's the next one? :D

heliona

Postby oldtoby » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:22 am

The only thing I didn't really like about the new episode (and series, I presume) is the new rendering of the theme tune.

Yup, not the best version of the Dr Who theme.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Loved it! and looking forward to many a fabulous episode with Mr Capaldi. I have some odd ideads as to whom the strange woman is, but time will tell if I'm right, though odds are I'm wrong.

Though I would have liked to have seen some of the Glaswegian torcers wandering in the street in the last scene... that would have made it perfect! ;)

Coffee with Vader...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Gungnir » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:08 am

What? No comments about this weekend's episode? You are slacking, people.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:30 am

This was an odd one for me.

Mainly because I watched it after I got back from the pub where I'd been doing a gig. So I was quite drunk and just didn't connect at all with it. Too serious for 1am when you've been on free beer all night.

I rewatched it the following day and enjoyed it quite a bit more, but I'm not sure it will ever be a favourite.

Still loving Peter Capaldi (of course), I think Jenna Coleman has really come into her own this season and Samuel Anderson as 'Danny Pink' looks like he will be a nice counterpoint for the Doctor.

One of the interesting things they are doing with this Doctor is not treating him as the finished product. He has a very clear arc, and he also has 'views' (such as not liking Soldiers) which are obviously going to be rigorously challenged. I think Danny Pink is going to serve that purpose in the series, a character designed to appeal to Clara and be scorned by the Doctor, and it's going to make for some good drama.

Also, in 2005 the Doctor was told "You would make a good Dalek."

He's been through a lot since then. Now he is told,

"I am not a good Dalek. You ARE a good Dalek."

At first it seems like a repeat of a powerful moment, but when you consider it, it's actually a huge progression. For all that the Doctor has achieved and suffered since the 9th Doctor said "Lock and load!" and pointed a BIG SPACE GUN at a helpless Dalek, he has not necessarily become a better person for it. Stuff like that, and BIG SPACE GUNS, keeps Doctor Who fresh and interesting.

And next week: "Robot Of Sherwood"! The best title since "Let's Kill Hitler".
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Hobbituk wrote:One of the interesting things they are doing with this Doctor is not treating him as the finished product. He has a very clear arc, and he also has 'views' (such as not liking Soldiers)...

So far this is really the only thing about the new Doctor and new season that's given me pause. Why soldiers? Is this supposed to be a holdover from 11's years defending the town of Christmas? A return to 10's intense dislike of guns? I'm just not sure what the deal is here.

Definitely liking Clara more this season -- I think a new Doctor was what she needed, for me at least, to become a more likeable companion.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:12 pm

He doesn't like people who would take a life because they're told to.

He's generally against killing anyway, although massively hypocritical about it, but he prefers people to think for themselves. This isn't really a new development, it's always been a source of contention when he works with UNIT, he's just a little more forthright on the point in this incarnation.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:52 am

Robots of Sherwood. One of the most nonsensical and camp episodes I have seen so far. Not even Capaldi's flashes of brilliance could save this one.
Gungnir
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other