New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 am

Ha! Whereas I thought it was a MASSIVE improvement on last week. It was funny and fun, exactly as a Robin Hood story should be. The best story Mark Gatiss has done I think, even better than 'The Crimson Horror' and 'The Unquiet Dead', both of which I love.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:08 pm

I'd comment but im still drooling over Jenna Coleman in that dress. :love:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Anyone notice this 'easter egg" at the time? Watch the Doctor's gloved hand closely as R Hood holds a sword on him.

https://imgur.com/WcLrIUw

(if you're still missing it look at this still...http://i.imgur.com/sqHI0Q9.jpg) It's the face that sells it.

I think I have a new wallpaper. :rofl:
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Speaking of Easter Eggs, I assume you all spotted the 2nd Doctor/Patrick Troughton cameo?
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 pm

nope :P
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 am

I did not. But I was kind of half expecting to see Sam Troughton show up somewhere.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:14 am

Ah, but long before Patrick Troughton's grandson Sam was in the BBC 'Robin Hood'...

...long before Patrick Troughton was Doctor Who...

...Patrick Troughton WAS Robin Hood in the 1953 BBC series 'Robin Hood'. He was the first actor to play the character on Television, and the episodes were filmed and broadcast Live.

... and the Doctor shows Robin Hood this still from that series in 'Robot Of Sherwood';

Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:12 am

I did not know that. I wonder if it was ever broadcast in the US?

When I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's, I remember watching Richard Greene playing the part in reruns of the 1950's TV series The Adventures of Robin Hood. That was back when there was less than a dozen TV channels and the local station played all sorts of old black and white swashbuckling stuff in the afternoons. (Oh my, I seem to be getting senile b/c I'm telling stories about my childhood, in the dark ages before there was even cable TV, that nobody would possibly be interested in. Sorry :oops: )

Don't know if TAoRH ever aired in the UK. Probably not, as it would have been strange to have 2 Robin Hood shows on at the roughly the same time. But looking it up on IMDB, I see it was a British production but was aimed at the US audience.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:06 am

Glasshouse, yes, Richard Greene's Robin Hood was shown in the UK - it is what he is chiefly remembered for here and, even now, children know the 'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Riding through the glen..." theme.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby oldtoby » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:28 pm

while gathering lupins?
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 am

'Listen' = Moffat's best since 'Blink'
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:54 am

Hobbituk wrote:'Listen' = Moffat's best since 'Blink'

You've just made me even more afraid to watch it than I was before. :shock:
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:39 pm

'Time Heist' took me three goes to properly enjoy. The first time or two I was just too distracted by some Steve Thompson (my least favourite writer for the series, currently) clangers...

"We'll be fired... with pain!" (ugh... a testament to Keeley Hawes that she almost made the line nearly work)

I did really want to like it though, so I persevered :)

By the third go I noticed that is actually a really fun plot, and rattles along well enough. And it's gorgeous. The reveal of The Architect's identity is surely too obvious from the very beginning to be in any way surprising, but then I'm sure there were plenty of children watching who wouldn't have seen it coming, so that's OK.

Best of all is Capaldi again. Just so many little tics, mannerisms, quirks. A look. A shamble. An awkward stance. And then a voice exuding threat and power, and then glee and fascination.

Perhaps the most Doctory Doctor there has ever been. The first Doctor who isn't trying to hide any part of who he is.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:51 pm

nothing on the more recent episodes? I quite loved Kill the Moon, crazy non science and all. Very fairy tale. I fully understand those who hated it due to 'bad science' as there are things that are so absurd they can jolt me out of a story, and for some, that moon was it. But not for me. I don't know why. I really liked it. The rest of my family did not.
This week's I also quite enjoyed and was very intrigued with the scene of the doctor talking to himself... he's not been... quite right... since his regen and this was a bit of a flag for me. I love Capaldi's doctor, he's going to be one of my favs. But something weird is going on.
Although it's doctor who...something weird is always going on. But weirder than usual.
Loved the engineer guy (though something is weird about him, too-- was he actually THERE? Very 'sixth sense'... if he was really there I'd love to see him back on the show for another adventure).

This episode had some good character moments, and supporting characters were interesting. Overall, scary and enjoyable.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:27 am

I've been dying to talk about the latest episodes, but I hate to double-post so I've been waiting for one of you lot.

I LOVED 'The Caretaker', and I LOVED 'Mummy On The Orient Express'.

Both brilliant episodes which I could watch over and over. As for Frank Skinner, I thought he was really good and I was hoping he would stay on in the TARDIS engine room at the end (but that might be a bit 'Star Trek'). Elmtree, you might not know this but Frank Skinner is a very famous comedian in the UK so it was a bit of a stunt casting moment I suppose (although he is a massive fan) and could have gone either way. I think the 'sinister' (is he even real?) aspect was an acting choice rather than something present in the script, which made his character more interesting than it otherwise could have been.

I was a little cooler on 'Kill The Moon'. It's not that it wasn't good: Great acting, great script ("I've NEVER killed Hitler, and you wouldn't EXPECT me to kill Hitler" was the most Malcolm Tucker-y Capaldi has been so far).

I loved the drama throughout the episode. The choices being made. Some of the most stunning and brave developments in character for all the protagonists since the show began even. And that keeps things interesting.

But by its very nature it felt dark, traumatic, and oppressive and so it's not one I see myself returning to time and again like some of the others.

As for complaints about Science? Do one! The Moon is an Egg. Deal with it ;) *

*And as a rule of thumb, The Doctor is more intelligent than you. Therefore if he says something which you believe to be Scientifically wrong you must assume that he is actually correct and YOU are wrong - within the laws of the Doctor Who Universe. Therefore it IS impossible for a planet to orbit a Black Hole ('The Impossible Planet'), the Universe IS held together by a bunch of Monks chanting numbers ('Logopolis') and Simon Greenall's character really CAN play drums ('Love & Monsters')
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:29 pm

I really loved Kill the Moont the whole thing played as a fable, a fairy tale.

I forgot The Caretaker. I enjoyed that, too.

I probably played too much Gary Gygax D and D back in the day, as I see sinister plots everywhere. :) But I'm not sure about Danny. Part of me wonders if he was Journey Blue's brother who died- but did he? Did Missy save him much as the Doctor saved Journey? Or the way she 'saves' her others? (not sure about that-- I'm thinking they are uploaded into a Database). His JUMP in the Caretaker made me think he's more than he seems.

There is a robot theme, and a saving folks at the moment of Death thing going on. And now with Mummy, there is someone looking for that 'undead making tech' the mummy had (who is Gus?) Maybe finding a way to re-upload folks? (You'd think there was a way already-- flesh, androids...)

I never knew who Malcolm Tucker was, or Frank Skinner, which makes all this fresh to me. I did look up Malcolm Tucker on youtube so I get the gist. Have not looked up Frank Skinner yet. He was fantastic and I'd never have known he wasn't an established actor. I loved his Perkins. Yes, there was something... SOMETHING... about him. A very strong presence. One of my theories is he wasn't visible to anyone else on board. I watched carefully and people only seem to interact with him, as in The Sixth Sense. Even at the end when Clara is there, she didn't speak with him, which is really odd. No bye, no glad you are safe. She seems to look as he leaves but she could have just been looking around. Given the doctor was talking with himself (or himselves- nice Tom Baker impression there!) earlier-- I wonder if hes' got aspects of himself doing things he's not aware of. In "Listen" someone wrote that word on the board in the doctor's handwriting, but he did not recall it. Could Perkins be a manifestation of the Doctor? I don't know as the Captain seemed to hear the countdown Perkins was giving as the mummy was going after him. But was it the doctor saying it, as it was the doctor who must have written "Listen". Or am i, as my son says, greatly overthinking this? Heck, River was Amy and Rory's child. Anything is possible with Moffat. :)

My favorite ep this season is still Robots of Sherwood for sheer FUN. I very much like this darker doctor but I do suspect making him so almost nasty has hurt the show as far as more casual viewers, especially in a place where folks know Malcolm Tucker. In the states folks are not going to make that connection, so it might be easier to see him as the Doctor. I find him very doctory but we do need to see his softer side. Other wise he'll get Colin Bakerized... a big mistake to have the sixth doctor try to kill his companion right away. Although it was Peri. So the attempt was a plus in my book.
Elmtree

Postby Gungnir » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 am

Bearing in mind that I haven't watched last night's episode yet, which may contradict everything I am about to say...

I just had a mad thought. Clara has become increasingly disaffected with the Doctor and how he lets people die - I wonder if 'Missy', the mysterious woman that we have seen welcoming various dead characters to the afterlife is a future version of Clara, somehow saving them or trying to atone for what happened to them while she was with the Doctor.

Of course that wouldn't account for her future self having a scottish accent...
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Well, it's a good theory...which will either be proven right or wrong when you watch last nights episode. :twisted: :D
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:28 pm

On a side note, just watched The Talons of Wen Chiang on Daily Motion last night. Still a good one.

http://www.dailymotion.com/EmperorPenguin16
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Elmtree » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:36 am

Saturday's ep was one of the most fun and classic feeling (with a modern pace) eps I've seen. This new writer wrote both Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline. Flatline was a great idea, very SF, a little horror, and we had a rather nice sense of 'chase' (without being too frantic). Loved how they did "doctor lite" here. I have not really liked Clara since she was regular Clara- she just wasn't written well. She's written better and has some actual character development that makes sense this series. It's like the show underwent a major course correct. I've also found the more minor characters feel more like characters written under the last headwriter, RTD. That is, even smaller characters are distinct, they are not just there to move the plot along.

No pacing or character problems in this one. Very solid episode. Not one of the All Time Bestest Who Ever!!!!11 but really fun and very solid and well written. I quite liked it.

As far as Clara, I'm still thinking the doctor was somehow splintered in his regeneration from 11 to 12 (or 12 to 13, really). Or that when Gallifrey sent out those regenerations they somehow injected some of them into him and some of him went into them- thus Missy's saying "My Clara" when looking at her on the IPad (interesting IPads exist in the Nethersphere... I guess that makes sense :)). It would somehow be part of the doctor looking back? We have had some imagerly such as the doctor looking into those three mirrors (a stretch, I admit), and also his talking to himself and - more importantly- writing to himself and his not remembering writing it (in the episode "Listen"). So is Missy an aspect of the Doctor? (and female...)

Now on this "could she be later Clara" - there are a few things that make that work too. The kids at school call Clara "Miss" and thus she's Miss C. Clara DID splinter- we know that. Is Missy one of her splinters who grew old and got nasty? Is this a splinter who remembered? Or is the Clara we see now a Splinter and the original is dead, dying in the doctors' timeline back last season?

It's probably something much simpler. I like complex theories if they make sense. But I also like fairly straightforward episodes like the one this week. If you haven't taken a look at Capaldi's doctor yet, I'd say THIS is the episode to watch (Flatline);.
Elmtree

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 am

I think 'Flatline' stands with 'Listen' as the very best of this season (with 'The Caretaker', 'Mummy On The Orient Express' and 'Robot Of Sherwood' not far behind). And I think that, as a whole, this season has been the season that Doctor Who fans might have expected when Steven Moffat took over. It really has been brilliant so far, and I'm very excited about this week's - given it was written by the fantastic Frank Cottrell-Boyce.

There are lots of theories about 'Who Missy really is' out there, which are very interesting but I'm choosing to just go with it and not over-speculate. She may well be a brand-new original villain (if, indeed, she is a villain). Which is good, because she's excellent.

The mirror stuff is interesting, much of Clara's arc (and you're right this season is much more character driven - and all the better for that) has been based around her as a mirror for the Doctor. Danny too. Thematically every episode has been strong in this regard, and in a way that's fun to think about it - I still haven't quite gotten over what 'Listen' had to say about fear, and about what fear can turn you into.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:09 am

'In The Forest Of The Night' . . . a beautiful fairytale.

And disliked by people with no imagination. People who can't bear anything new, experimental or interesting. People for whom dull, tired, insipid, predictable television was invented. ;) I wish they'd all just watch the X Factor instead, it's more their level. *

(*am I grumpy this morning? Must be because I've had an hour extra in bed)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 am

shouldn't an extra hour of sleep make you less grumpy? :P

I thought it was a good episode. "Flatline" i think is the best so far, but last nights show is a close runner up.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:04 am

Because someone dislikes it doesn't mean they have no imagination. It means they disliked it. I loved Kill the Moon, but I fully get why some didn't. It was total fable, and anyone looking for 'real science' need look elsewhere. But I found it wonderful and beautiful and intriguing as far as character choices. I do realize some might be jolted out of their disbelief suspension by some of the events, creatures, etc. I wasn't.
But in this one, I was. I didn't hate it. I just felt it not one of the best. What got me was the reaction to the growth-- people reacted as though in a dream, where bizarre stuff makes sense or doesnt' bother you the way it would when you were awake. That was enough, this ep, to jolt me out of the moment. Might seem silly, but it made the *people* feel unreal.

I did love some of the lines and though the kids were very good. I felt the direction was a little off.

But what *really* got me was the next time trailer... holy cow.
Elmtree

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:00 pm

I think that's why it worked, because it was like a dream. It didn't need to make sense. And I still think that most people who are raging about it are just lacking in imagination. Not you, of course Elmtree :)

Fortunately my 6 year old nephew isn't one of those. Rather proud of what he was inspired to create the day after seeing this episode...

Clicky
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 am

The scientific issue I had with the Moon episode was in fact when the woman scientist (so not the Doctor ;) ) said that all the high tides happened at once, which they wouldn't. It was an off-hand comment and getting it right wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the plot, which is why it irritated me so much. I actually loved the idea of the Moon being an egg (even though it's ridiculous - let's face it, Doctor Who is ridiculous! Doesn't make it bad. :D )

I really enjoyed Flatline. Aside from Mummy on the Orient Express I think it was my favourite. I enjoyed In the Forest of the Night on first viewing, although upon further reflection, I did have a few mild issues with a couple of things (like Danny was meant to be so keen on keeping an eye on the children, yet he let himself and Clara charge off into the forest ahead of them, not knowing whether they were following or not. Not a very responsible child guardian! ;) ). But I did like the idea of the trees (or the "fireflies") saving the Earth (and notice I'm not bothered about the science at all :P ).

And the trailer for this week? :shock:

Also, Hobbi, your link is broken. :cry2:
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:02 pm

For the avoidance of doubt, when I whinge about people whinging about Doctor Who I am usually referring to those dingbats who wind me up on the Who forum, not the more reasoned, constructive comments you generally get off you TORCers :)

And yes I am very excited about this week's episode.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GwenElf » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:46 pm

Gotta admit, I'm rather disappointed about Missy's identity, and I actually like the 'Clara-splinter' theory a lot better. But I will refrain from further judgment until I've seen the whole finale.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:56 pm

I think the reveal was perfect.

A big moment, perfectly handled.

And, even better than that, a small moment so perfectly handled...

"Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference?"

That gives me shivers. There is so MUCH in that sentence.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:35 pm

yes, a perfect reveal. I had the actual identity on my list of 'suspects' but I had started to believe the Clara splinter or Dark Future Clara as the episode went on. Then I started to wonder about River... my reasonable side did not see Moffat doing that, but I did start to wonder.

The actual reveal was perfect, and Michelle Gomez is playing it perfectly.

Very very good episode.
Elmtree

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Other