New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies.

Re: New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Postby heliona » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:22 pm

I felt like the final episode kind of fizzled out, to be honest, and was a little disappointed with it. (I just don't believe any relationship between Danny and Clara, and had no emotional upheaval during their emotional farewell. Honestly, I'm glad to be rid of them. I really liked Clara in parts, but overall I think she was hard done by with the scripts.) Although Michelle Gomez was brilliant, and I'd love for her to come back in some way. :)

Bring on the Christmas Special! :D
Image<-- Merry Christmas!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:16 pm

And as a counter-balance...

I think with the final episode we had the most fitting end to what I currently feel has been the strongest ever Season of Doctor Who.

In terms of character and storytelling, in terms of acting, in terms of beautiful, beautiful feats of imagination and outright daring. It's been brave, it's been challenging and it's been absolutely hilarious.

There have been one or two episodes that will never be among my favourites... 'Kill The Moon', 'Time Heist' and 'Into The Dalek'. But even those had exceptional stuff in them.

I think of 'Robot Of Sherwood' and I think of 'Flatline' and I think of 'In The Forest Of The Night' and I wonder how these three very different stories can even exist in the same TV show. I think of 'Mummy On The Orient Express' and I think of 'The Caretaker' and I wonder how anyone could feel less than uplifted after any episode of Doctor Who.

And I think of 'Listen' and I shudder a little. Because TV that good doesn't even exist. Not really. It's a dream.

And then 'Deep Breath', 'Dark Water' and 'Death In Heaven'. The beginning and end of a story that didn't even begin or end there. It just felt like it did, and left me an emotional, gibbering, giggling wreck.

Peter Capaldi understands the Doctor like no other, Steven Moffat is a flipping genius and there is no better writer working in Television today.

The 12th Doctor is perfect. And in good hands.

Thus, spake Hobbi ;)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:26 pm

And as a counter-balance...

I think with the final episode we had the most fitting end to what I currently feel has been the strongest ever Season of Doctor Who.

In terms of character and storytelling, in terms of acting, in terms of beautiful, beautiful feats of imagination and outright daring. It's been brave, it's been challenging and it's been absolutely hilarious.

There have been one or two episodes that will never be among my favourites... 'Kill The Moon', 'Time Heist' and 'Into The Dalek'. But even those had exceptional stuff in them.

I think of 'Robot Of Sherwood' and I think of 'Flatline' and I think of 'In The Forest Of The Night' and I wonder how these three very different stories can even exist in the same TV show. I think of 'Mummy On The Orient Express' and I think of 'The Caretaker' and I wonder how anyone could feel less than uplifted after any episode of Doctor Who.

And I think of 'Listen' and I shudder a little. Because TV that good doesn't even exist. Not really. It's a dream.

And then 'Deep Breath', 'Dark Water' and 'Death In Heaven'. The beginning and end of a story that didn't even begin or end there. It just felt like it did, and left me an emotional, gibbering, giggling wreck.

Peter Capaldi understands the Doctor like no other, Steven Moffat is a flipping genius and there is no better writer working in Television today.

The 12th Doctor is perfect. And in good hands.

Thus, spake Hobbi

So....what i'm hearing is that you are still on the fence then? :twisted:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Hmm. I liked "Listen" until the end, and it was all about Clara, instead of being "real".

I love Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. I certainly wouldn't say that this was the best ever season of Doctor Who, though. Perhaps I'm just remembering previous seasons as being better when they weren't. I watched most of the Eccleston and Tennant ones not every week on the BBC, but rather one after the other, so perhaps that has something to do with it. *shrugs*

I can only go by my emotional connection/reaction to the episodes, and I've felt more emotionally involved in previous seasons than this one.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Oh 'Listen' wasn't about Clara. Listen was about Fear. And what Fear can turn you into.

It can turn you into The Doctor. Or it can turn you into The Master.

I don't think anything in Doctor Who has ever been quite so real.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:35 am

Oh, I understood what it was about. But I still didn't like the fact that it was Clara who put the seed into the Doctor's mind. I'd liked the idea of the fear being about something real, I suppose. And I can't get past not liking Clara overall (although I've absolutely loved her in some episodes, like "Flatline"). It's because of that that I think I don't like the way she's often been scripted, rather than anything else. However, I loved the way they handled people's reaction to death in "Dark Water".

Perhaps if I saw the episodes again, I'd feel differently. Of course, you're viewing Doctor Who in ideal circumstances. Perhaps if I had been watching them with a five-year-old I'd appreciate them more! ;)

I can't necessarily put my finger on why I didn't like certain episodes other than my emotional reaction. There's no logic to it. :D

heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:48 am

Oh absolutely, my above random stream of gush is nothing more than my emotional reaction.

That said, I don't actually watch Doctor Who with my nephews... I don't trust them not to ask questions during the episode!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Hobbituk wrote:That said, I don't actually watch Doctor Who with my nephews... I don't trust them not to ask questions during the episode!

You don't? That's disappointing! (Although I'd probably be asking you questions too. :D ) In fact, I might have to ask you some on Friday! ;)

heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Oh gosh no, I demand silence when Doctor Who is on. My entire family know this by now, so my sister makes sure to take the kids home before it starts (which has been quite late anyway for the most recent series). Of course I do 'rewatches' with them... and we have very serious conversations about it in the week afterwards. They are currently desperate to know how The Doctor knows Father Christmas (something they always suspected).

And yes I'm sure Doctor Who will come up in conversation this Friday too :D
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Really enjoyed "Dark Water" (pt 1 to the finale) and did not at all like "Death in Heaven" (pt 2) which was a frenzy of STUFF happening but emotional notes were not really hit for me. It might top Love and Monsters as my least favorite episode. We had a very hard left at the coda scene, too. Death, Darkness, Misery... and Santa? Then again maybe the Christmas Episode will somehow tie into this one and somehow improve it. :: shrug ::
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:10 pm

Weird. I think it was nothing BUT emotional notes. Blimey. The Doctor's sheer unadulterated dismay at the end as he rages against the TARDIS console.

And, "Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face."

Gah!

Two people lying to each other. Hurting themselves to make each other feel better. So very human.

And, well, Father Christmas might be the best ever person ever to have ever walked into the TARDIS ever.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Aravar » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:50 am

Hobbituk wrote:
That said, I don't actually watch Doctor Who with my nephews... I don't trust them not to ask questions during the episode!

Surely that would only happen once.
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 am

Funnily enough my little sister was at ours to watch the final episode last Saturday and she had her own little girl with her (who is only a few months old). At one point she nearly started crying and my sister looked over at me with genuine concern...

(But my youngest niece is so adorable, I'd even forgive her for crying during Doctor Who...)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:19 pm

While I think Peter Capaldi is a fabulous actor and has done well as the new Dr Who, I, personally, think a lot of the scripts in this latest series really let him down. I think Moffat should step aside and let better script writers have a go while he just directs/produces. I think some of his stuff is amazing but maybe he's tired and needs a break?

I did shed a tear over the Brigadier saving his daughter, that was well done.

There were a few standout episodes for me: loved the Robin Hood, Dalek and Heist ones, but most of the others seemed to be trying too hard. My fellow Whovians at work tend to agree, we normally discussed it monday mornings at work. And this is just our opinions, everyone can think what they like.

I loved Clara when she was with Matt Smith's Doctor but when they changed over she became this whiny, cranky, judgmental girl, it didn't sit right with me as the Impossible Girl image she did so well.

Hated that Missy was the Master. She could have stood alone as an excellent villain her own self.

So I'm hoping the new companion will cope better with the Doctor's gruffness and seeming lack of empathy. And a few more scripts like Eccleston had would raise this series back to the heights it started the reboot with.

Funny animals rampaging through the TVM...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Previous

Return to Movies - Other