New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Re: New Doctor Who

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am

I just watched, "The Enemy Of The World". A 2nd Doctor story believed lost for 45 years.

And it was brilliant.

:)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Dunthule » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 pm

I just read that two lost story's were found in Africa. (Nigeria I think.)
I can't wait to see it here in the states. 8)
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Dunthule wrote:I just read that two lost story's were found in Africa. (Nigeria I think.)
I can't wait to see it here in the states. 8)

It was actually nine episodes that were found in Nigeria. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, nine episodes from two stories. 'The Enemy Of The World' (hence what I said two posts ago!) and 'The Web Of Fear' (which I'm halfway through and loving). There's still one episode missing from 'Web' though, unfortunately. And they're all available to buy on iTunes already.

Patrick Troughton is magnificent.

There are also other tantalising rumours about other missing episodes which I dare not believe...
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:30 am

Hobbituk wrote:Yes, nine episodes from two stories.

Ah, yes, my mistake. I read [hamlet's] Dunthy's post so fast that I didn't notice he'd written "story" as opposed to "episode". :doh:

Ooh, tantilising rumours? :lol: :)

[Edited to correct the name of the poster. :doh: ]
Last edited by heliona on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby hamlet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 am

My post? Eh?

What post?
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

heliona wrote:
Hobbituk wrote:Yes, nine episodes from two stories.

Ah, yes, my mistake. I read hamlet's post so fast that I didn't notice he'd written "story" as opposed to "episode". :doh:

Ooh, tantilising rumours? :lol: :)

Rumours too good to be true (surely), but their source is the reason I've known about 'Enemy' and 'Web' coming back since June. One aspect I'm pretty convinced is true is that it won't be long before we're able to see a certain legendary Italian traveller meet the First Doctor.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:20 pm

hamlet wrote:My post? Eh?

What post?

*sigh* I really need to preview my posts before submitting! :roll: Obviously I meant Dunthy's post. Your name probably popped into my head because of another thread I'd been reading. :doh: Sorry for taking your name in vain, hamlet. :)

Hobbi, the last rumours were thought to be too good to be true, and then they were. So you never can tell. :D

heliona

Postby hamlet » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:41 am

Feel free to take my name in vain. A lot of people do. It's quite entertaining to me. :D
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Elmtree » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Marco Polo??? Oh,I hope that rumor is true!

We were at a Doctoberfest party at a friend's house a couple of weeks ago and they were playing web of fear. My daughter, who has never seen Doctor 2, was amazed. She noted how much 11 does take after 2, and how the doctor is the doctor. She recognized the character (we only got to see one episode, and Itunes doesn't play for me, so I have to wait to see the rest!)
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Hobbituk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 am

I finally finished watching 'The Web Of Fear'. I took my time with it, as opposed to devouring it like I did with 'Enemy', but it is actually better. A proper, very Doctor Whoey Doctor Who story. Some fantastic guest actors and the first appearance of The Brigadier... for who it is actually a really good origin story. There is real drama at one point where The Brig (although he's a Colonel in this) considers how futile it is to take on the alien menace. It's a brilliant set-up for the creation of UNIT. Just a shame Episode 3 is still missing.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:28 am

EVERYONE! You have to watch this RIGHT NOW! BBC iPlayer - The Night Of The Doctor

The best Doctor Who story in years, even if it is only 8 minutes long.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 am

Or here, in case you have problems with iPlayer - YouTube
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:02 am

Saw that yesterday in between craziness. Looked great, and I LOVE the reaction of the woman to the realization that the Doctor is a Time Lord. Fantastic, really.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:53 am

It's an entire season of Doctor Who in 8 minutes. The 8th Doctor series that never was.

Utter brilliance.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:14 am

I guess I have to get all McGann's Big Finish audio episodes now.....fortunately, I can listen to them at work.

Wouldn't it be great if the BBC decided to do a special spin-off season or 2 with him as the eighth?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:24 am

A couple of brilliant nerdy things to spot in 'Night Of The Doctor'...

In the 1996 TV movie, one of the first things the newly regenerated 8th Doctor does is to choose a new outfit. The outfit he selects is a fancy dress costume with a gun belt. He immediately discards the gun belt. A statement of intent.

The last action of the 8th Doctor is to pick up the gun belt belonging to Cass. A statement of intent.

Also in the TV movie there is some significant religious imagery: the 8th Doctor first appears wearing a shroud. Later on he is strapped into a device like a crucifix, complete with crown of thorns. In 'Night Of The Doctor' his last words are, "Physician, heal thyself...", quoting the bible. But not just for the sake of it, think of the implications of that statement!

Some nice touches there, showing the level of thought put into what is just an Internet-only mini-episode.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Hands up if you have managed to slightly annoy Stephen Moffat on national television today. :clap:
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:26 am

.... :? and you're not going to expand on that?
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 am

On 'The One Show', a prime-time magazine show broadcast on BBC1 last night they had a Doctor Who themed episode.

To crib from Hobbituk's excellent synopsis of the show...
Hobbituk wrote:Just John Hurt and Jenna Coleman sitting next to a one-legged Australian who was shown the illuminated leg of a one-legged woman at which point a Cyberman fainted and fell on a drumkit whereupon he was taken to a corridor and treated by the Head Of The NHS, meanwhile Giles Brandreth visited the TARDIS and questioned Steven Moffat on behalf of "Gungnir".
And then the Radiophonic Workshop played the Doctor Who theme. Roll credits.

On their Facebook page earlier in the day they had asked people to submit questions to be put to Stephen Moffat. I submitted a question and it was used in the program.

The link to the BBC iPlayer page for that episode is http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03hvj30/The_One_Show_20_11_2013/ but you probably won't be able to watch it in many countries without using some kind of sneaky proxy.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 am

Ah, well I hope you annoyed him real good...:lol: But you're right, I won't be able to watch it.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 am

You can watch the Interview with SteVen Moffat (note spelling!), complete with question from our very own Gungnir, HERE!
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:50 am

LOL! Oh that's just fantastic! Really seemed to push a button there.
Of course we all know that Gungnir has been paying attention.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Hobbituk wrote:You can watch the Interview with SteVen Moffat (note spelling!)

Noted - I did write Steven initially but it didn't look right and I couldn't be arsed googling it to make sure.
Last edited by Gungnir on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:57 pm

I only pointed it out as I know for a fact that annoys Steven Moffat even more than asking questions about the Doctor being half human.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:36 pm

AH! I shall make a note of that as well then.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:58 pm

So the Mark Gatiss drama, "An Adventure In Space And Time" about the early days of Doctor Who was on tonight. Starring David Bradley, Jessica Raine, Sacha Dhawan and Brian Cox, it focused on first Doctor William Hartnell, first producer Verity Newman and first director Waris Hussain.

And it was beautiful. Just right. David Bradley as Hartnell nearly had me in floods.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Just John Hurt and Jenna Coleman sitting next to a one-legged Australian who was shown the illuminated leg of a one-legged woman at which point a Cyberman fainted and fell on a drumkit whereupon he was taken to a corridor and treated by the Head Of The NHS, meanwhile Giles Brandreth visited the TARDIS and questioned Steven Moffat on behalf of "Gungnir".
And then the Radiophonic Workshop played the Doctor Who theme. Roll credits.

That is a remarkably accurate account of the happenings, unlikely as it sounds.

....except the one legged Australian had been given comedy tips by the Dalai Lama.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Re: New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:58 am

Today is the Doctor's 50th Birthday!

We are having a party at home, I'll try and share some pictures later.

It's remarkable. A thing, that looks like a Policebox, standing in a Junkyard... it can go anywhere in Time and Space. And it just keeps going.

Happy Birthday, Doctor Who :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Re: New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Postby GlassHouse » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Alright just one thing t say...to avoid too many spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the special yet, but there is one thing I want people to look for. Am I crazy or were those the Ruby Slippers? Keep your eye out for them.
GlassHouse
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Other