New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

Re: New Doctor Who - 50 Years, Still going strong!

Postby oldtoby » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:15 pm

I shall now use typical British understatement and declare that that was kinda brilliant. :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm

That was the single greatest piece of Television ever made.

Yes, I'm slightly drunk.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Wildwood » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Yes it was, and so am I!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have seen it twice through, now! I have a tardis (albeit made of fabric and pvc) and some weeping angels in my living room. We have jammie dodgers and jelly babies. We have fish fingers and custard! and a bunch of other party foods as well. Yes - I did try the fish fingers and custard. And you know what? It wasn't that bad!! Sort of like a really sweet dip for the fish fingers!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I probably won't try it again, but at least I have proved my Whovian mettle! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I loved it!! Geronimo! Allons-y! Oh, for God's Sake! Gallifrey stands!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wonderful!

(Its on again right now! I really should go to bed, though!! I am trying....we'll see how far I get! )
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby celebalqua » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:25 pm

What a great show, entertaining, provoking and a huge spanner in the Whoverse. We got up early here to watch it live, 6:50 Sunday morn and I am now off to cinema to see it again on the big screen if 3D. yay

Cel

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Gungnir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:43 am

One thing which no-one has really made much of - In Capaldi's split-second appearance, he refers to himself as 'thirteen'. If John Hurt is now officially the 8th Doctor (as he seemed to have redeemed himself and earned the name of 'The Doctor', not just 'The War Doctor'), does that mean we need to renumber Ecclescake, Tennant and Smith to Doctors 10, 11 and 12 respectively?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 am

Oh, and did anyone else watch the excellent "The Five(-ish) Doctors Reboot"? Which people on this forum in especial would find interesting?
Last edited by Gungnir on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby celebalqua » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:51 am

I think you are absolutely right Gungnir, I think people may be a little reticent to start such discussions without a spoiler alert. I certainly was. But yes I read it the same way, Peter Capaldi is definitely the thirteenth doctor. Thus pretty big implications!

Cel

Still reading in the Lounge for Bookworms 6
Contributing to Shire and Shutter photo blog and talking about it here.
Occasionally visits the Lucky Fortune Inn

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/mini-Hobbit_David_Wyatt.JPG
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:56 am

I've seen it twice now. So many things I could say about it, too many things.

Just so funny, and sad, and clever, and brilliant and everything Doctor Who is ever supposed to be and every reason why I love it.

The whole Anniversary has been a triumph. Not just the special, but everything around it. From The Culture Show documentary, through the Brian Cox lecture, the Mark Gatiss drama, to the Five-ish Doctors thing that Gungnir linked above... just so well balanced. Not a commemoration, but a celebration of old and new.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 am

GlassHouse wrote:Alright just one thing t say...to avoid too many spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the special yet, but there is one thing I want people to look for. Am I crazy or were those the Ruby Slippers? Keep your eye out for them.

Let me explain this comment. Near the end of the show, while they're walking through the Black Archive with all the um, stuff, on the shelves, some of which is recognizable, there's a pair of red women's' shoes...just for a split second. Don't know why they were there but we had a good laugh about them anyway.
:lol:
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby GlassHouse » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 am

Oh yeah and the one of best things I saw was when Matt Smith and David Tennant were being interviewed, they were talking about John Hurt, saying how each of them was going through all sorts of contortions and mannerisms for their characters but Hurt was conveying so much with so little efort, (paraphrase) 'probably winning an Oscar just by moving his eyes'. Nice.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 am

My sister had a Doctor Who party yesterday and asked me to make a Doctor Who Quiz for her friends. I made up a picture round - name the monster and a straightforward question and answer round with some rather fiendish questions. Some of the people at the party were Who fans and even they didn't do very well. For your entertainment, here is the question round...

1. What rank was Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart when he first appeared in Doctor who?
2. Which Doctor went to the same school as Wayne Rooney?
3. Who are sometimes called 'The Paternoster Gang'?
4. Which Doctor claimed to have invented Yorkshire Pudding?
5. Name the 3rd Doctor's two cars (a point for each)
6. How many suns does Gallifrey have?
7. What is Amelia Pond's Middle Name?
8. Besides his sonic screwdriver, what other sonic implements has the Doctor encountered/used? (A point for each)
9. Which episode did Jack Harkness originally appear in?
10. Which creatures were introduced in the first Doctor's final story?
11. What was the name of the housing estate in which Rose grew up?
12. Which Doctor was the first to be seen eating Jelly Babies?
13. Which football team did Donna Noble support?
14. The Master has used a number of different aliases - what are they? (A point for each)
15. Which of these actors was NOT offered the part of the Eighth Doctor - Tom Hanks, Harrison Ford, Jim Carrey, Christopher Eccleston, Hugh Grant?
16. What is the official explanation (as seen on national TV this week!) for the Eighth Doctor claiming to be half human?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:56 am

Nice work with question 16. I think I got all but one on your quiz, good questions though!

The 'Ruby Slippers' were actually shoes belonging to River Song. I *think* from 'The Time Of Angels', but I could be wrong.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:02 am

Hobbituk wrote:Nice work with question 16. I think I got all but one on your quiz, good questions though!.

I expected nothing less! Which one didn't you get?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:25 am

Went for the wrong Scouser on question 2.

It's possible I didn't get all the answers on the 'list' questions too. I think I did though.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby niniel* » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Gungnir wrote:Oh, and did anyone else watch the excellent "The Five(-ish) Doctors Reboot"? Which people on this forum in especial would find interesting?

The Five (-ish) Doctors is great. Peter Davidson even managed to rope in all their real families :D
niniel*
Ranger of the North

Postby Elmtree » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:36 pm

I waited so I could see it in the theatre tonight. I can pick at flaws. I can say as a stand alone story for a non fan it was just... okayish.

But for me? It was perfect. I loved it.
Loved getting the actual story of Liz 1 and Ten (or is it 11 now?). I'd been leery of the Surprise Hurt Doctor, but I quite liked him. LOVED the role Billie Piper played.
Loved... well, bits at the end/resolution/climax I don't want to spoil for those who have not seen it.

And at the very end... the curator. I teared up. Perfect. Perfect for fans. Just loved it.
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:50 am

well the only real flaw I can pick on is that it should have been 2 hours long instead of 1.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:52 am

Elmtree wrote:And at the very end... the curator. I teared up.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one then :)
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby portia » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:06 am

OK. It is not a spoiler to say which episode is being discussed!

There have been a lot of Dr. Who episodes on, recently, and the ones shown on one side of the pond may not be the same as the one's shown on the other!
The Christmas episode was nice, but hardly deserving of the praise I see above, and I do not recall Capaldi anywhere. Could someone please clarify?
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:04 am

We're talking about 'The Day Of The Doctor', the big very exciting and much anticipated 50th Anniversary episode which was simulcast in about 94 different countries across the world.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm

......in which Capaldi appears for a few milliseconds and raises the hair on the back of your neck.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Hobbituk » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:58 am

Just to say that I'm aware that there are Spoilers for the Christmas Special *out there*, so if anybody even thinks about posting them in here I shall burn them to a cinder. Of course, I'm not a Moderator anymore so that will have to be a literal burning :)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:13 am

Hobbituk wrote: Of course, I'm not a Moderator anymore so that will have to be a literal burning :)

Really?
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Elmtree » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:14 am

I rewatched the Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor (name posted for clarity :D), at home twice, after the theatre viewing. Holds up well. Still loved it.

Given we're out a few days I'm going to risk speaking of episode specifics, so if you are spoiler free... FLEE! FLEE NOW!

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
pa
cey
zoomy
ride

AND lighter font! Highlight to more easily read:
I felt the weakest bit was a major plot point. If using the moment (as the doctor thought he did), destroyed all the Daleks and All the Time lords-- then what he did here, JUST destroyed the Daleks around Gallifrey and the Time Lords ON Gallifrey-- he should have known. And the Dalek in "Dalek" should have picked up others. I can, however, make it work in my head- say the Daleks were somehow all linked to make a weapon that would destroy gallifrey work, so when the ones around Gallifrey went up, they all went up (or mostly all). And perhaps all the time lords had been called back to Gallifrey at that moment to save the planet? They were mostly there anyway, but I'd imagine in the war they'd spread out.

This was a big "huh?" moment. But the episode was so powerful and enjoyable otherwise that I am okay with figuring out how it could be in my brain.

Notice how all Moffat's earlier writing was practice for this one. Gallifrey is saved in the same way Sparrow and Nightengale were saved in Blink. We have an incident where somethings seems to be changing a thing that cannot be changed, but actually it happened that way all along (probably), just as in Impossible Astronaut and Wedding of River Song (the doctor's death). There were a lot of moments where I saw Moffat repeating the stories he'd done before (all the timey wimey stuff!) but in this case he did it far better than the others (which were good- but this was perfected).

Really a masterful epsiode if you don't think too much about how Gallifrey was saved (sounds like it was 'saved' too... a little echo of the library there, though also a little different).
Elmtree
Not all those who wander aren't lost

Postby Hobbituk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:15 am

Nice observations, Elmtree!

I think we have to assume for the sake of sanity, ALL the Timelords had been called home (to relative safety?) behind the Sky Trenches, and that ALL the Daleks had been sent to Gallifrey as part of a final push to get through the Sky Trenches and obliterate them all. It's a bit of a stretch, yes, but there have been bigger :)

Gungnir - yes, really! (To the first bit, not the second bit... I've never literally burned anyone to date, anyway)
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 pm

You will all be pleased to hear (or maybe not) that THE DWARF has written perhaps the definitive guide to Doctor Who
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby MaxPower » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 am

The Dwarf's style reminds me of a long-departed, much-missed forum regular named Hama.
Same guy?
MaxPower
Shield Bearer

Postby Gungnir » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:03 am

That's the rumour, Max
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:40 pm

THE_DWARF has a style all of his very own, and his piece on Doctor How is pure classic dead brilliant THE_DWARF at his finest.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbituk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:51 am

Oh and I thought it'd be nice now we have the final figures to look at how successful the 50th Anniversary Episode was.

In the UK, including iPlayer and repeats in it's first week, it was seen by over 16 million people. The most watched show of the week, for only the second time in Doctor Who's history.

In the US, Canada, Australia and many other places it got record viewing figures for their respective channels.

At the Cinema it was 3rd in the UK Box Office for the weekend. On a limited number of screens, with one showing, of a programme every single person could have watched at home for free. In the US it came 2nd (!) for the day, which is even more impressive really.

Okay, so there was a lot of hype and advertising. A LOT. But I'd say that after 50 years of Time and Space, Doctor Who is looking pretty damn shiny.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and Media: Other