The Big Lebowski

Come here and discuss your favorite Non-Tolkien movies, TV shows, radio plays, etc.

The Big Lebowski

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:54 am

Best movie ever.

Discuss.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby The_Angel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:52 am

No.

-fin-
The_Angel
Ranger of the North

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:07 am

Yes.
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 am

By the way, how are you Angel?

We came within a hair of packing our bags and moving to Bristol (for a job), but that didn't happen, so we're here in the imperial capital of the world. Just saw Demo a few months back, and he's looking to move to DC and finally assume his true, red-blooded American form. He even paid a visit to the Creationist museum in Kentucky, and is now convinced that the dinosaurs on Noah's Ark were well-behaved because of Noah's ingenious use of an ancient divine sedative.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby The_Angel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:37 am

Gandalf'sMother wrote:By the way, how are you Angel?

Ah not bad. Getting married on Saturday! Then there's the business of the honeymoon the week after -- two weeks in the Caribbean for us :D.

Obviously you don't want to move to Bristol, not when Glasgow's so much nicer! If I were you, I'd get out of DC pronto, since Demo's bound to be some kind of modern day Alaric, so get to a safe distance while the going's good. I always knew he was a died in the wool fundie anyway. It's something in the eyes.

And besides, living in the US can't be very convenient, not when you have to keep flying over for moots.

Anyhow:

Gandalf'sMother wrote:Yes.

Lebowski falls short of true cinematic greatness as it's fundamental quality is a fleeting sense of a particular zeitgeist. It requires the viewer to have a strong sense of that zeitgeist in order to succeed above and beyond its status as a moment of proficient surrealism. Truly great films contextualise themselves perfectly -- no-one needs to have fought in the US Civil War to appreciate Gone With The Wind -- and Lebowski qua Lebowski does not. As such it can claim perfectly sensibly to being a good film, but not a great one, and certainly falls short in a challenge to scale the absolute peak of cinematic quality.

PS: Love to Gandalf'sFather!
The_Angel
Ranger of the North

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:19 pm

Angel,

Indeed. I also didn't mention that Demo tried to beat me to death with a large wooden cross. Quite a frightening experience, actually. This leads me to feel that Glasgow is our only option. Can you pick us up at the airport? Thanks.

Lebowski falls short of true cinematic greatness as it's fundamental quality is a fleeting sense of a particular zeitgeist. It requires the viewer to have a strong sense of that zeitgeist in order to succeed above and beyond its status as a moment of proficient surrealism.

I'm not so sure about that. While a familiarity with Lebowski's particular zeitgeist can be helpful in fostering enjoyment of the film, the film's central line "The Dude abides" says it all, and I think, transcends the zeitgeist. The film explores the nature of abiding, and/or living of someone who grew up in the late 60's America, to be sure. But what that says about abiding in general, is, IMO, universal and important.

Well, actually, the truth is that I just re-watched it for the 5th time, thought it a hoot, and decided to post a topic. My characterization of best film ever is an example of the deliberate hyperbole I employ after watching films that I find very humorous.

-Gandalf'sMother
P.S. Love to The_Demon!
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Xhen » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Yes.
Xhen
Mariner

Postby Telemachos » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:26 am

This will be a day long remembered.....

Xhen and GM back in a Movie thread! Just like the old days (sort of).

Ve vant ze money, LeBOWski!
Telemachos
Ringbearer

Postby Bifur » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:11 pm

Brandt can't watch, though, or he has to pay a hundred.
Bifur
Rider of the Mark

Postby Democritus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 am

No... but it's a fine film.

GM, do you know that I sleep in my Creationist T-Shirt and nothing else? I love it because it has dinosaurs on it.

I love dinosaurs and so does Jesus.

That's why after he raised Lazarus from the dead he took that splinter out of that T Rex's paw. I cry when I read that passage.
Democritus
Mariner

Postby Gandalf'sMother » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:32 am

Angel,

I just realized I missed the portion of your post where you say you are getting married. Congratulations! We are in our second year (remember we had just gotten married when we met at the Moot), and it has been wonderful! She says hello by the way, and and wants you to know that she thought you all were wonderfully charming and not so freakish at all.

Demo,

Yes. But not nearly as moving as the bit where Jesus hops off the cross onto the back of a Brontosaurus, slides nown its neck, up its tail, lands in a car, and speeds off shouting "Yabba Dabba Doo!" Best part of the Bible by far.

-GM
Gandalf'sMother
Ringbearer

Postby Democritus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I change my mind.... Lebowski is the best.... only Groundhog Day compares for making me laugh all the way through a film... plus every time "Looking out my door" starts playing on the radio in the car, you know I am pounding the roof of that car.... as well as trying to not flick my doobie out of a closed window... :wink:
Democritus
Mariner

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 am

It's a close second to Blazing Saddles.
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:04 am

It's a close second to Blazing Saddles.
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:44 am

I miss Gandalf'sMother. :cry2: Madre de Gandalf. :cry2:
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Return to Movies and Media: Other