How Could ANYONE Be Bored of the Rings?

Fans of the movies? Love those actors; How about the characters? Come here to discuss all forms of fandom surrounding Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.

How Could ANYONE Be Bored of the Rings?

Postby frodolives668 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:39 am

I get really mad when people tease lord of the rings. Some one said something rude about it the other day to set me off repeatedly so I was forced to retaliate. I merely repeated what he said directed to his mother and hit him with my heavy binders several times, so i felt something lacking. T absolutely HATE it when people diss lotr. Do you or am i alone on that one?

I recieved a book quite recently called "Bored of the Rings" which was a rather crude (in my opinion: no offense if you liked it!) parody of lord of the rings. I don't mind simple gags from time to time. I don't freak out when someone plays "they're taking the hobbits to isengard." But that one set me off.

Do parodies that make fun of lord of the rings get on your nerves? If they do, please let me know so I know i'm not alone!
frodolives668
Rider of the Mark

Postby NazGal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:10 pm

The worst is when my daughter, a total anime geek who goes to animecon, makes fun of my LoTR nerdiness. I mean come on! Pot to kettle, amirite amirite?

She read The Hobbit and thought it was meh, and she couldn't get through the first 50 pages of the LoTR.

I'm thinking about having genetic testing done to make sure she's really mine.
NazGal
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Minas-Ithil » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:57 am

I think I'd be most pissed off when someone even bothers comparing LOTR with Twilight... uh.. Twilight?? C'mon, is this the middle ages or something?? I think I saw a video comparing these 2 on youtube.. maybe, and that just pissed me off. :x
Minas-Ithil
Petitioner to the Council

Re: How Could ANYONE Be Bored of the Rings?

Postby Smaug213 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 am

Yeah, it is extremely annoying.
Smaug213

Re:

Postby Arlaug » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:00 am

NazGal wrote:The worst is when my daughter, a total anime geek who goes to animecon, makes fun of my LoTR nerdiness. I mean come on! Pot to kettle, amirite amirite?

She read The Hobbit and thought it was meh, and she couldn't get through the first 50 pages of the LoTR.

I'm thinking about having genetic testing done to make sure she's really mine.

It's not the tree which forsakes the flower, eh?

One thing I cannot stand is not reading the books but evermore dissing of Trilogy for the sake of the movies. I can get trying to read it and leaving it unfinished rather than dissing it without giving it a chance. Better leave it to those who love it
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby pat457 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:47 pm

frodolives668 wrote:I get really mad when people tease lord of the rings. Some one said something rude about it the other day to set me off repeatedly so I was forced to retaliate. I merely repeated what he said directed to his mother and hit him with my heavy binders several times, so i felt something lacking. T absolutely HATE it when people diss lotr. Do you or am i alone on that one?

I recieved a book quite recently called "Bored of the Rings" which was a rather crude (in my opinion: no offense if you liked it!) parody of lord of the rings. I don't mind simple gags from time to time. I don't freak out when someone plays "they're taking the hobbits to isengard." But that one set me off.

Do parodies that make fun of lord of the rings get on your nerves? If they do, please let me know so I know i'm not alone!

I'm not exactly a thick-skinned person, but (just speaking for myself) I've reached the stage where I just don't care what people think about this or that. What matters is that I like it. Hey, I can't expect everybody to agree with me.

So I don't think ill of "parodies that make fun of LotR" - in fact I like some of 'em. (Never read Bored of the Rings though.) I always think that fans and haters of a given work have something in common: they know what they like or hate so well that they could see also the holes and the imperfections mixed with the good stuff. What separates fans from haters is that they have learned to love the work in spite of (maybe not in spite of - precisely because of) these ups and downs. I love it when fans make LotR parodies (even quite irreverent ones) because they show that they love the work so much that they could pick on it. (That's the ultimate paradox if you ask me: I think that you've reached quite a level of fandom if you could see the holes in something you really love - all in good fun, of course.) I don't care if some people dislike LotR because that's just how the world goes (I disagree with them but I respect their opinion) - well, as long as they know what it is that they hate and are not fighting some fictional strawman.
pat457
Shield Bearer

Postby rojersequaria » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Yeah, it is extremely annoying.
rojersequaria

Postby Frodome » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Oh, yes.! .. I find it terribly annoying when people diss LotR.
Last year when I was reading the book (I was reading Return of the King) a guy sent me Friend Request on Facebook. Once while chatting he asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was reading the LotR 3 book.. He said, "Movies are so annoying," and I was disgusted with his statement. In few days I deleted him! Then, I felt like "Yeah, that's cool now. :D"
One of my school friends doesn't like LotR as well. I tell him that someone with good "wits" can NEVER hate my books/movies. :)
Frodome
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 am

Haven't read BotR but I love any and all LotR parodies. I have read countless and seen countless. I believe none of the parodies are intended to make fun of the thing, rather to make it funny by hyperbole.

And I don't mind anyone who dislikes the books or films either. Tolkien is not for everyone's taste. Life is too shoft for such nitpicking. In the end it's their loss. Most people I know dislike the films. So that's that. ;)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Minardil » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 am

Oh, I LOVE "Bored of the Rings!" I use lines from that book all the time! "He had 'Water on the Brain'. 'Tis 90% fatal. Forced I was to amputate". Ahh, too funny.
Minardil
Mariner

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings (Fandom)