Swooning for Dwarves!

Fans of the movies? Love those actors; How about the characters? Come here to discuss all forms of fandom surrounding Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.

Re: Swooning for Dwarves!

Postby GreyWitch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:52 am

Yes, yes! Please, Mr. Jackson, give us at least one Shirtless Thorin and Shirtless Kili scene! :clap:

While I have not yet seen Mr. Turner sans shirt (another embarrassing situation I should remedy), I agree that Thorin should perhaps be a little more buff and hairy than what I've so far seen of Mr. Armitage. Not that I don't find him utterly swoonable the way he is, but you understand what I mean. I hope they don't put CGI muscles on him or anything, though. I hate that.
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby dr_boots » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi all

Greywitch try season one, episode 6 of Being Human or send me your e-mail address and I will forward a youtube of a shirtless Mr. Turner (nothing too risque just mouthwateringly beautiful) that will have you lying in a puddle :woah: . As a longtime appreciater of male pulchritude (as my friends over at Middle Aged Crazy can attest to) I can't think of anyone that can match this man for sheer gorgeousness. I put my e-mail address on my last post on Who's Your Favorite Dwarf

Dr. B
Chaser after loose Greyhounds
Slave to all cats
Proud citizen of MACadamia

"No, my neighbors, never think
that path is a short one; you must
have a lion's heart to go by that way, it
is not short and its seas are deep,
you will walk it long in wonder, sometimes
smiling, sometimes weeping."

-Attar, "Parliament of the Birds"
dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyWitch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 am

Oh, neat, dr_boots! I am sending you my email address right away. Thanks!

I will probably watch Being Human in the near future anyway. I hear it's rather good.
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GreyWitch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 am

I was home with a cold for a couple of days at the beginning of the week and so I had some time to kill. I watched Robin Hood, the BBC series where Richard Armitage plays Sir Guy of Gisborne. While I was not overly impressed with the series itself, I found Richard's character to be absolutely amazing. He was exactly the type of villain I like most: turned bad, not born bad, still carrying a shred of goodness inside and looking for a chance to break the cycle of evil, but never being given that chance, constantly tormented by his own demons. I loved the way his character developed towards raving madness and then towards finally redeeming himself by joining the good fight. I loved the acting! I have to say I've rarely connected with a character so deeply and that I've rarely felt so gutted when watching a character die. Which does not bode well for the last Hobbit movie, I guess. :lol: I'll most certainly make a fool of myself by bawling in public. I am excited to see the rest of these movies, though, and see Thorin's development. It's going to be grand. :D

If anyone who has seen Robin Hood and loves Guy wants to help me alleviate my pressing need of talking about how awesome he is, please send me an e-mail. Thank you.
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MeadowForest » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 am

GreyWitch wrote:Yes, yes! Please, Mr. Jackson, give us at least one Shirtless Thorin and Shirtless Kili scene! :clap:

Hahaha. Oh dear!
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm

WOO HOO!

I agree we need to petition PJ for some shirtless scenes with Richard Armitage and Aidan Turner. They would not disappoint (Dr. B has seen the magnificence). The only difference is whether or not you prefer a smooth hairless chest (Mr. Armitage) or the perfect amount of chest hair (Mr. Turner). I've already thought that after the barrel ride, many of our dwarves would be cold and wet and would need to dry their clothes off and warm up :roll: . Don't know if I want to see a shirtless Bombur or Oin to name a few others. There are just some things we are not meant to know. :wink: :wink:

Take care ladies.

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyWitch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 pm

dr_boots wrote:I agree we need to petition PJ for some shirtless scenes with Richard Armitage and Aidan Turner. They would not disappoint (Dr. B has seen the magnificence).

And Dr. B has helped GW see the magnificence. :P
We wouldn't be asking for that much really. I think it's doable.

dr_boots wrote: The only difference is whether or not you prefer a smooth hairless chest (Mr. Armitage) or the perfect amount of chest hair (Mr. Turner).

Well, for dwarves at least, I prefer the latter, but I think we may have a chance with Mr. Armitage as well. See this little pic right here? I definitely see some chest hair there.
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Melwa » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am

Don't know if I want to see a shirtless Bombur or Oin to name a few others. There are just some things we are not meant to know. :wink: :wink:

Ha, ha, ha! :evilaugh: :roflmbo: :lmbo: :roflmbo: Oh, you girls are funny! Love the pic, by the way! I presume that would be the Thorin Lego figurine?

By the way, I happen to think most of the faces for TH Lego people are awful. Usually I love the Lego people.
Melwa
Ranger of the North

Postby GreyWitch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 am

Yes, that is the Lego figurine, and yes, I agree, the Hobbit ones are quite ugly. :(
GreyWitch
Citizen of Imladris

Postby dr_boots » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:33 am

Hi all,

Haven't seen the Lego figures for the Hobbit yet Melwa. Don't know if I want to. I remember the action figures for LOTR and the faces were always pretty bad. Not what you would wanted to remember when trying to picture one of the characters in your mind. That's why I usually stick to posters or standups.....though a friend here at the library gave me a bobble-head of Sauron that I adore :eye: . It makes me laugh everytime I see it. Plus it agrees with everything I say. :D I guess that's the type of man(?) all us women want.

GreyWitch, the pics I saw of Mr. Armitage shirtless were from a fan video. He was wearing swim trunks and was smooth as a baby's behind. Perhaps it was for a particular film he was making and had shaved or waxed his chest hair off. So many male stars wax their chests now it is hard to tell. I guess its the new sexy. I am afraid I am a woman of the old school. Give me Hugh Jackman as Wolverine or Mr. Turner as Mitchell and I get all wobbly in the knees....

Whew, better go cool off for a bit =:) .

Take care all of you. Enjoy whichever dwarf, elf, or man strikes your fancy. Be of good cheer. After all we have two more films to look forward to. Just be glad PJ didn't stick entirely to Tolkien's description of the dwarfs or he would have been casting plaster garden gnomes as Thorin and Kili and Fili as well as the other ten. :wink: :wink:

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby melianndoriath » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:03 pm

I most heartily agree that SOME of the dwarf folk be shirtless-Kili and Thorin for sure- but not ALL. I can envision returning to certain scenes of the dvd that contains such and replaying them often. :D
I have a Thorin action figure, which is passable in appearance. My standee is much more to my liking. :clap: Love the Kili pic, but I am thinking that Thorin needs Kili to keep him company. He an Ara=baby just get along. No real friendship there.

Meli
melianndoriath
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:15 am

Hi all!

Just returned from a trip to Louisville, KY to stay with a fellow TORCer during her first chemo.

Meli, glad to see you. I agree with the shirtless dwarves. Then I remembered something-they were all wearing fat suits in order to bulk them up. This included arms and hands. Considering that you and I have seen Mr. Turner sans shirt this seems like a travesty as IMHO he is just about perfect in the flesh. I will say the same for Mr. Armitage. I thought their hands and fingers looked much fleshier and thicker than I remember seeing in real life.

One interesting fact I learned is that the actor who plays Fili (Dean O'Gorman) is in fact 7 years older than Mr. Turner which is about the right age difference between Kili and Fili in the Appendices. You really need to get your Kili standup as company for Thorin. I suspect their familial relationshiip will be brought out more in The Desolation of Smaug. Its really not mentioned at all in the AUJ. BTW have you been able to stiffen up Arababy :wink: . I remember he was a bit wilty and bendy from all his travels. Maybe that makes him feel a little bit over shadowed by Thorin who is quite impressive.

Here's hoping that PJ has at least once shirtless scene without the fat suits.

Well to all the ladies, may your dreams be filled with certain dwarves (I never thought I would say such a thing :D )

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby ThorinCrazy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:23 pm

I am so glad I am not the only one.
I am getting quite worried about my liking of Thorin now :lol: . He is so sexy, it really is hard to believe that dwarves could be sexy and I'm seeing James Nesbitt in a new light too... bofur is sweet.. I think my ranking is Thorin all the way at the top spot, then fili and kili then Bofur..
my husband keeps catching me looking at pictures of Thorin and i think he may be getting a little cheesed off with it.. oh well, I will still think about him :) now i would love to meet Thorin, I dont really care for Richard armitage, but in this role, 'OH MY'... think i may watch the hobbit again
ThorinCrazy
Petitioner to the Council

Postby dr_boots » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Welcome ThorinCrazy,

I was the last person to post here back in March of last year. Glad to see some renewed interest. We have quite a group of Dwarf admirers. Afraid most of us post over on Middle Aged Crazy under Alliances and Guilds. Please stop by if you get a chance. You don't have to be middle aged to join us. Our group runs from 19 to mid 60s.

Ahhhh Yessss, the dwarves. My oh My :D :D :wink: :wink: Amazing how hot and sexy they can be, isn't it? Thank goodness PJ didn't go for the Disney-Snow White look. :nono:

Nothing wrong with a little appreciation of dwarvish beauty :wink: . And yes Thorin is quite the eyeful. That first view from AUJ when Gandalf opens the door for him at Bag End. WOW! :shock:

Looks must run in the Durin family I guess. I hate to admit to how many times I have seen the films :oops: . Each time I see something different and one is always looking to see more of their favorite dwarf(s). Thorin is a favorite of mine as is Kili. I appreciate Fili but find dark hair most attractive. I agree that Bofur is a sweetie too. His personality is so appealing.

Hope to hear more from you.

Dr. B (aka ElRhondA)
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Ahem, truth be told I already wonder how am I even going to see next part, for Thorin's sake. I already see myself in a pool of tears similar to the one I had after RotK.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah, when AUJ came out I had conveniently forgotten how it all ends in tears. Right now my feet are wet and I see the pyramids 'cause I'm living in de Nile. :P I read The Hobbit when I was a child and the ending didn't seem as tragic to me then as the dwarves are written without much depth of character or distinctive personality. PJ has really upped the ante by making them individuals that we care about. Hats off to the actors too for making them characters that can pull at the heartstrings.

So I figure at least one box of tissues for the first viewing. I hope there is more about Thorin and his relationship to his nephews. DOS was a little better about that. At least if you were quick enough you heard Fili call him Uncle. I think by bringing attention to the familial relationship it will make the ending even more poignant....

Dr. B (ElRhondA)
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_of_Darkness » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Welcome, ThorinCrazy! I've been crazy for Thorin for nearly a year (I count it from Valentine's Day, and no, I didn't first see AUJ on Valentine's Day, that was shortly after the seventh time, but the last time in 3D), but with me, it's not just the character, but the actor as well, though the only other thing I've seen him in is North & South (so far). I just came back from my fourth viewing of DoS (all in 3D, once in the new HFR 3D, and three times in RealD 3D) and I love Thorin even more in this installment. Like many of you, I'm dreading the third film (for obvious reasons), and if they could delay it another six months, I don't think it would bother me that much. If that little bit at the end of AUJ leaves me in tears, what's TABA going to do to me? :(
Lady_of_Darkness
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Arlaug » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 pm

May I just add how wonderfuly warm Thorin seems to be all thanks to the unusual tranquillity and honourable behaviour of mr. Armitage? Gold-sickness aside, Thorin's character development and presentation are one of the positive surprises of this trilogy. Alas, nuff said on my swooning, how obvious can my infatuation be :P?
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby siddharth » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:12 am

Well I ain't a swooner (and I am a male ;) ) but I love Bofur and Balin.
Bofur had always been the funniest and sweetest for me.
But what a dwarf Stott's Balin is! He always has that twinkle in the eyes for which Gandalf is famous for. Totally my favorite dwarf.
And I totally loved Balin's banter with Bard (who is also my favorite. Bofur, Balin, Bard. Three bees see? ;) )
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 am

Hello

Hey Sidd, good to see you. This thread has been quiet for so long, I had almost forgotten about it.

Glad to see so many folks posting here again. :clap:

Hello to Arlaug and Lady of Darkness. My name is Dr. Boots or Dr. B as most folks refer to me. I also picked up the nickname of ElRhondA several years ago at our annual MOOT we have here at my home. Must have been the scepter (actually I think it was a stick with a marshmallow on the end) someone handed me while we were playing music around a bonfire.

I am hoping when the extended edition of DOS comes out there will be a lot more scenes of interactions between the dwarves, especially Thorin, Fili and Kili. If PJ follows through on the book ending (and I don't see how he can avoid it) it is going to be harrowing. Already so much fanart out there depicting it. I about lost it this time in DOS when they first open the hidden door and Thorin and Balin have that moment of shared memory for all that was lost.

Dwarves, who' da thunk it???? But then we have to remember that the dwarves in Tolkien are really a more of a different species from Elves and Men. Their origins are so different. I think Mr. Armitage is top notch for playing Thorin (the voice alone). It will be interesting to see how his falling to the dragon sickness plays out. Just hints of it in DOS. I liked that he was able to show his affection for Kili for a brief moment. Those two actually look so much alike that sometimes in the big fight scenes I have trouble distinguishing between them. All that long dark hair flying about....not that I'm complaining.

I too like Bofur and Balin Sidd. Bofur adds just that amount of cheekiness to lighten a scene. Balin is of course a sweetheart. And then there's Dwalin. I want that dwarf on my side in a fight.

But the highly scientifically derived Swoon Factor (as the other ladies here can attest) definitely lies with Thorin and his nephews. I am torn between Thorin and Kili. Both have their points. Armitage's voice and bearing and Turner's Irish accent and long dark eyes. My oh my........(Dr. B fans herself)

Guess I will be making a trip to the Imax in Kalamazoo this weekend :wink:. Its going to be a long wait until the dvd comes out in April, so I've got to get my Thorin and Kili fixes in while I can. :D

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:23 am

Hey dr.B. :D

Well, I can swoon only for one person in the entire film. Smaug. No explanation needed. ;)

I started a different thread for general fan-talk (since, it is not fit for me to post in a "Swoon thread" ;) :P ) on DOS.
Want to discuss?

(btw, if I were a girl, I would have swooned for Bard. :P )
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Okay I made it back after a long hiatus!!!

Welcome to all the new dwarf swooners!!! Oh yes it is hard not to see something very special in those Durin relatives. I dont even mind Fili's lighter features. But I must say that Kili is my absolute favorite!!

My sweet sister friend Dr. B sent me a lovely poster of my sweet Kili and it is hanging here beside me. My husband made a comment the first night he noticed it hanging. "Nice poster hon!" He knows he is irreplaceable but he does not mind my dwarf fancy. He had to put up with elf fancy with the other movies. So he is very used to it.. He knows he will always be my favorite pool elf!!!

I dont want to think about how the next one will end yet. I am so disappointed that they saw fit to put an elf in there to try to grab some of Kili's affections. I mean she can keep her hands off my dwarf... Oh wait!! She has much of my coloring and I am an elf. Perhaps there is then hope for me, well till he is at the end. I dont want to think about that now.

I have eyes for my Kili and that is enough for now.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby dr_boots » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi Vana!

Great to see you here. :hug: I sure miss our old swooning days over on MAC when LOTR came out :D . You well know who my favorite swoonable dwarf is don't you! I find Kili the most attractive (and Aidan Turner is really gorgeous). Like you I love the dark hair and eyes, especially those long almond shaped eyes and long dark lashes. And the eyebrows....WOW! Don't know why I find some men's eyebrows so attractive and others are just "bleh". And that cheeky smile that almost outshines Bofur.

Thorin is probably my second in line in swoonablility factor (is there such a word). His voice is so grand and his demeanor so majestic. And Fili's personality, his steadiness and loyalty is without equal and he has the cutest dimples.

I have to laugh though, all those nasty she-elfs that seem to go for our men :nono: . Remember Meli and Arwen. I used to laugh so hard when Meli would get going on Arwen for taking Arababy :rofl: . Glad you are enjoying your poster. I am still trying to find the one where they are in chainmail. I found one that also had Bard in it so that might have to do. I wish they would put out a standee of Kili in chainmail or Weta would make a sculpture of it. I would also like to see Kili get his bow back. I have a soft spot for archers, too. I can imagine he and Tauriel helping Bard when Smaug descends on Laketown.

I am with you concerning the last film. I think we need to form a support group of dwarf swooners to help us recover from TABA. In the meantime, there is always Being Human to watch and extras from AUJ EE.

Well I better go fix a bite of supper. Had to work until 6:00 tonight and it was 7:00 by the time I got home.

You all take care.
DR. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:06 am

Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:50 pm

What a hoot Arlaug. So funny :rofl: . I love the interaction between the actors, especially Dean and Aidan.

Don't know if you have seen this one about who can name all the dwarves the fastest. Hint: only the Irish can talk that fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xly_lNW_2o4

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:42 am

LOL
I have a soft place for yorkshire accent. Can you please try and find a video where they talk about River and Barrels scene?
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Arlaug,

I should have one somewhere. I will look to see. I know they had some about the barrel ride in one of the video blogs that PJ first put out just not sure which one. They just had way too much fun doing that. I am sure there will be much more on any bonus features for the DVD and especially for the Extended Edition.

None of the actors had a Yorkshire accent, unfortunately. Jimmy Nesbitt and Aidan Turner are both Irish (Belfast and Dublin respectively) and Ken Stott and Graham McTavish are Scottish. Richard Armitage and Adam Brown are more London English and everyone else was a Kiwi. There was an interview with Aidan Turner on Irish TV asking about him not having an Irish accent in the film and he said that because Kili and Fili were both related to Thorin and of Durin's line, they wanted both him and Dean O'Gorman (a Kiwi) to try for a more British accent like Richard Armitage whereas Jimmy Nesbitt kept his accent as he and his clan were more of a country, unsophisticated background. Notice Bifur only speaks Khuzdul and Bombur doesn't have any dialog at all so there was no worry about them sounding different than Bofur. Balin and Dwalin (both actors are Scottish) speak with the same accent. Thought it was very clever of the film makers to pay attention to these details.

I am really looking forward to getting the DVD in April. Then I can "swoon" to my hearts content :D . The only bone I had to pick with DOS was the posters they released. Almost all were of Elves with one or two of Bard and Gandalf and Bilbo. I wanted more of the dwarves (you know of whom I speak :wink: ). The only one that showed the three Durin boys was one for the Spanish premier and I could not find it anywhere to buy in the U.S. DRATS!!! :x

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Oh it must be my mistake, then it is the irish one I like.
I managed to find the video I was mentioning during the re-watch of Appendices, but I cannot find it now. It is the Misty Mountains Storm sequence they did and Peter was saying to the dwarves some of them were to have warm water pouring on them from the ceiling, and some cold- Point is that a Thorin-swooner of myself was so very much revived after Richard saying "I bagsy a cold shower. Please, I am boiling in this costume" <3
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby dr_boots » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Arlaug

Sorry it's taken me a bit of time to get back here. I've been fighting the elements in the form of massive amounts of snow and frigid temperatures. It gets so depressing after a bit. I just want to see the ground again and not have to worry if my car will start.

I know the sequence you are talking about. It is on the first Appendices disc. I am amazed at how the actors held up so well under such physically taxing circumstances. I love watching the appendices. Can't wait until the extended edition of DOS comes out....and of course I'm getting the theatrical version as well to tide me over until the EE comes out. The theatrical version comes out in April so the EE version will probably be in November.

I found this cute interview with Jimmy Nesbitt (Bofur) and Aidan Turner (Kili) that really shows off that Irish accent. Thought you might enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXUYIgkTgk

A friend of mine is driving up from Cincinnati, Ohio in December to go to the midnight premier of TABA with me. She has done this for the last two Hobbit films and we have had a good Hobbity time. We usually get in at least two viewings in over the next couple of days before she has to head back home. This year we are hoping one of the theaters will be showing the first two films in conjunction with TABA. For DOS, one of the theaters in Kalamazoo, showed AUJ on Thursday evening and then at midnight went right into DOS

Take care

Rhonda (aka Dr. Boots)
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

Postby dr_boots » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Arlaug

Here is a new video about the shooting of the barrel scene I thought you might enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b45QQMg581o

Hopefully there will be lots more in the appendices that come with the Extended Edition.

Dr. B
Slave to all cats

dr_boots
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings (Fandom)