What makes a real Lord Of the Rings Fan

What do you think of Tolkien on the silver screen...? Whether Bakshi, Jackson, Amazon, BBC radio play, or whoever else, come on in and discuss your reflections, opinions, and memories...

What makes a real Lord Of the Rings Fan

Postby researchingfandom » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 pm

can you explain to what the extent of fandom is taken to be a real Fan of the Film and maybe book franchise
researchingfandom
Petitioner to the Council

Re: What makes a real Lord Of the Rings Fan

Postby BagginsGirl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Probably, having watched the movies several times to the point you can quote them. Being able to quote parts of the books, owning different versions of the books and movies. Owning T-shirts, costumes, jewelry, replicas, pictures, and other random things that are somehow related to the movies/books. Listening to music from or inspired by the movies/books. Considering naming a pet or child after a character from the books/movies. Um mm, I can't think of anything else. But I gave you an example of an extreme fan, is that helpful? Hope it is, let me know! :)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby Peremensoe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Uh... I really don't think it has anything to do with merchandise.
Peremensoe
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arlaug » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:24 am

I don't see it the way you do, sorry. Firstly, I am an admirer of Tolkien's work. Not just movies, nor just the trilogy. Ergo I admire the Professor for his everlasting work and the imagination which was beyond anything else I've seen.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:08 pm

I understand were both of you are coming from. I didn't mean to imply it had only to do with merchandise. But I thought the question was aimed at fans more of the movies, then books, though I did try to include books too. Also, I was giving an example of an extreme version of a movie fan, which I thought was what was being asked about.Though, I may have misunderstood the question. Like always,my opinions are up for debate:) I see what both of you are saying.
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby researchingfandom » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 am

All information of fandom is great :) mainly the films however both the book and film is important
researchingfandom

Postby BagginsGirl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Well, like one of the previous posts said admiring the Professor for his work is a sign of a fan. I guess you would want to know as much about Tolkien and his work as possible. Researching him, his life, his work, his beliefs..... There really are a lot of different versions of fans, and what makes a fan really depends on the person. I think you might want a wide variety to answer this question.

:)
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby ekrolo2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 am

Appreciating the material when its good or does something right but also acknowledging/pointing out its flaws or mistakes when they happen is what makes a real fan of anything.
ekrolo2

Return to Movies and Media: Tolkien