what's your fave character and why!!!!!!

Fans of the movies? Love those actors; How about the characters? Come here to discuss all forms of fandom surrounding Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.

what's your fave character and why!!!!!!

Postby lord_of_all_nazgul » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:33 am

:horse: who is your fave character and why tell me :TORC: my fave character is the witchking because he has cool weapons and his nazgul rules but the only down side is he has a weak spot his mouth :eye:
lord_of_all_nazgul
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Pelargonium » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:59 am

My favorite character is Pippin, because I guess I relate SO much to his young spirit and the wonderful ability to be a pain....yeah it's fun! (well not really.) :?

:drink: Pela
Pelargonium
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimthîriel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:11 pm

My favorite one is Faramir (from the book, not the film), 'cause he's so wise and just and loyal....weeeell, he's awesome :love:
Nimthîriel
Shield Bearer

Postby IamMoose » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:12 pm

Gandalf but shouldn't this be in the Books section? ;)
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby elrin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:47 pm

i think this should be in moobies myself

i love legolas as a character he's just awesome and its not because of his elfly cuteness either. but my altimate fave would be arwen she gave up everything for aragorn. don't think i could do that.
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimhiril » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:48 pm

I have a lot of faves... I mean a lot!
Aragorn just because I always thought he was amazing and I really liked him...
Eowyn because she was amazing too. like, come on, she killed the Witchking! ( :P )
Arwen too, because in the Appendices I really liked her story line, how she sacrificed herself for the man she loved...

These are of course all the book characters... There are more too. :D

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimthîriel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:54 pm

Nim - Know exactly what you mean! It's actually hard to pick up one character I didn't like from the books... :D
Nimthîriel
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Well. Thiri, I really didn't like Denethor at all. Or Sauruman, or Sauron... mostly Theoden...

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimthîriel » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:02 pm

I think the only one i didn't quite like was Tom Bombadil....but the other ones all great!!! Great deep characters! :D
Nimthîriel
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:09 pm

Really I loved Bombadil! It was just Denethor....

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Pelargonium » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:34 pm

At first i felt for Denethor...then I kept reading and didn't like him anymore! I love Tom! He's so wonderful! If I was one of those hobbits I would be asking SO MANY questions it's not even funny!
Pelargonium
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimhiril » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:52 pm

Pela ~ Haha! Same exact feeling! (about Tom that is) I never liked Denethor, I didn't like the way he addressed Gandalf, even if it was elvish. To me it just sounded like contemptment...

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Pelargonium » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:25 pm

Nim ~ Exactly! I was excited to meet the king when I read that he and pippin were going there...then to discover he's terribly rude and sour! Kinda a let down, but Pip makes up for it! :love: hehe...I always imagined him as a cutie!
Pelargonium
Shield Bearer

Postby Nimthîriel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:17 am

Well, I'm quite sure that I didn't like Tom Bombadil at first 'cause I didn't get to read The Hobbit and didn't get to fully understand this character...it seems that I've missed something...

Now, about Denethor, I really think that he was a good character and he fit the story so nicely...Notice that I'm not saying that I would enjoy his company but that his a strong and necessary figure in the book. That's how I like him! :wink:
Nimthîriel
Shield Bearer

Postby Thewhitetree » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:20 am

IamMoose wrote:Gandalf but shouldn't this be in the Books section? ;)

I think it should be in theonering.net.
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Nimhiril » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:27 am

I suppose that's the only reason Denethor was a good character... I mean, he was well written, and everything, but he disgusts me. :P

Tom Bombadil, I don't know, he just always seemed important to me and really intrigueing simply for the fact we don't really know how old he is or how long he's been on middle Earth..

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Nimthîriel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:38 am

Yes, Tom's kind of a mystery and it does bug me to watch the films and hear nothing about him...at all... :|

But I guess that my favorites are in the Unfinished Tales, oh how I love that book, I've read it a thousand times, or more...All that ancient history about Middle-Earth just fill my heart with joy :love:
Nimthîriel
Shield Bearer

Postby IamMoose » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:06 am

I am not keen on Denethor myself to be honest but I did think that he was very well cast and acted in the films.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby Nimhiril » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:30 am

Moose ~ Yes, I think that John Noble did a wonderful job, I'm talking the books. Though, John did a wonderful portrayal. :D

Nim
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby nazgul_lord » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:38 am

Well, I think it's quite clear who my favorite character is. I have power, charisma, power, charm, power, fashion sense, and...oh yeah...power.

I don't know what kind of "weakness" I would have, by way of my mouth. My word of power is mighty indeed, and my incantations without fail.

Frankly, my only weakness is cute blondes in mail. Rawr! ;)
nazgul_lord
Mariner

Postby Nimhiril » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:56 am

Haha, I was just going to say. You're only weakness is a Sheildmaiden of Rohan. :P

The nazgul are... interesting... but I can't push aside the evilness...

:P Nim :P
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby Pelargonium » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:11 pm

Nazgul are very evil indeed...I don't think I could easily push away their evilness either Nim! :P
Pelargonium
Shield Bearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:06 pm

:rotfl: Ah how fun!

I've had many favourite characters over the years. And my absolute favourite changes depending on how I've changed. My first fav was Aragorn (I had a crush on him long before Viggo Mortenson played him) and sorely wished I was Arwen for a looooooooooooong time. ;)

Then my fav was Bombadil. I love him because of him, but personally I think his part in the story was a little off. Kinda...not needed in a sense. But I still love him all the same.

Now my fav, as many many can tell you, is Gandalf. He is the glue that holds the Fellowship and the Company in the Hobbit, together. I am currently writing a Gandalf story that I will post, eventually, in the RR.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Pelargonium » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:20 pm

I do love the Gandalf of the books much MUCH better than the one in the films...MUCH more!
Pelargonium
Shield Bearer

Postby melianndoriath » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:21 am

The character I love most is Aragorn. :love: His veiled nobility, strength mixed with vulnerability, bravery and loyalty endeared him to my heart. I find myself sharing the same kind of thoughts, wishing that I would do the same sort of things as he,if I were in the same situation. I love his heart and great character, and this love has been brightly burning for over 30 years.
Seeing Viggo Mortenson on screen as Aragorn didn't hurt my love/admiration for said character. I actually think that my admiration for the character grew, seeing him made flesh and bone.
All Tolkien's characters are well-done. Some are interesting, some deliciously evil, others home-spun and others quite complex. Hats off to them all, especially to my beloved Aragorn!!

Meli
melianndoriath
Ranger of the North

Postby Witchking336 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:48 pm

The Witch-King, obviously. He's so frickin' awsome! If I were a woman from Middle-Earth, I would marry him.
Witchking336

Postby Erumahtar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:47 pm

Witchking336 wrote:The Witch-King, obviously. He's so frickin' awsome! If I were a woman from Middle-Earth, I would marry him.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really love Arwen because of her sacrifice for Aragorn, not many would do that. She must have loved that mortal very much to forsake her immortality :love:

But each character in Tolkien's book, at least the good ones, have something that makes you love them :)
Erumahtar
Ranger of the North

Postby AtinielofGondor » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:39 pm

My favorite character in the movies is Faramir. He is very emotional, vulnerable and brave. David Wenham is the best actor, I've ever seen!
AtinielofGondor
Shield Bearer

Postby MithLuin » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:12 pm

When I read the books at the age of 12, my favorite character was Faramir, who was so wise and brave, and I most identified with Eowyn, the girl who wanted to fight. So, I was quite happy when the two of them got together!

I was in complete awe of the elves.
When I read the Silmarillion, my favorite characters were Finrod and Ulmo.

As time went on, my focus shifted to Frodo. I found much to love in him, and started to understand his sacrifice. I also wanted to be him, but in a way that made me shiver, knowing it was a dangerous thing to want.
This was certainly reinforced when the movies came out. :love: Elijah Woods!

Then I drifted back to the Silmarillion, the story with deeper lows and higher highs than LotR, more melancholy and more fierce. But now I did not stick to the 'safe' character of Finrod, who is noble and wise and self-sacrificing (as well as drop-dead gorgeous, being Galadriel's brother ;)). Rather, I was drawn to Maedhros, the oldest son of Fëanor, who was wise (in measure) and much more reasonable than his hot-headed father and younger brothers. And yet still overshadowed by doom and the Oath.

Hobbits cannot live long on the heights, so I will not stay here forever. But I am certainly intrigued, the more I find out about him.... Besides, it's fun to like people who can scare everyone else half to death! :club:

My crush is a 6+ foot tall elf with pale skin, grey eyes and long red hair....who has a light of battle in his eyes that makes his enemies flee from him. Oh, and he's missing his right hand :D And a Kinslayer thrice-over, not having learned his lesson the first time, despite a 20 year cooling off period where he hung from a cliff by his wrist....
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby lotr4life2007 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Why I Love Faramir
By Sarah

I had an interesting dream. In the dream, I was a four-year-old hobbit. I, along with the rest of the Fellowship was in Minas Tirith, which is in the realm of Gondor. Everyone in the palace was asleep, but not myself. I was pacing the palace corridors, crying and feeling sorry for myself, when I bumped headlong into someone.

I looked up to see who had interrupted me, and saw, to my astonishment, Faramir—the one person I loved more than anyone in all of Middle-Earth. He noticed I was crying, so he scooped me into his arms and asked what was wrong. My only response was to cry even harder. Faramir made a gentle click with his tongue and held me even closer. I buried my head in Faramir’s shoulder and continued to cry.

“There, there, sweetie. Everything is going to work out. You’ll see,” Faramir cooed. “Just relax. I’m here and not going anywhere.”

Faramir carried me to a vast room with numerous armchairs and a warm fire. He sat in the chair closest to the fire and placed me on his warm lap. I rested my head in that comfortable space between his neck and shoulder. My petite hand was placed on top of Faramir’s bigger hand, and he squeezed it soothingly.

“Please tell me what got you so upset,” Faramir requested.

“You won’t laugh?” I asked.

“No, my dear. I promise,” he answered.

“I had a nightmare,” I said quietly.

“Oh?” Faramir said. “What happened?”

“There was a big battle. You and at least a hundred other people were fighting some orcs. Everything went ok until you tried to defeat a particularly large one. He pulled back his bowstring, and--” I started crying so violently that my whole body shook.

Faramir let his thumb trail down my cheeks, wiping my tears away.

When at last I was able to speak, I said, “The orc pulled back his bowstring and aimed it at you. You fell, lifeless, to the ground. I was in the palace and saw the whole thing from a window. I wanted to come help you, but Aragorn caught me and ushered me back to my room. You were dead, and I was all alone. That’s when I woke up, and you found me,” I finished.

“Oh, my dear!” Faramir exclaimed. “That’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Professor Dumbledore arrived and asked Faramir to please come with him for a bit of questioning. I, very reluctantly, got off of Faramir’s lap and promptly bumped into King Aragorn. When Faramir explained what was up, he agreed to sit with me until Faramir’s return. Faramir kissed my cheek and said, “I’ll be back in a little while.”

King Aragorn and I sat in the same armchair and cuddled. I told him about my nightmare, and he understood. After what seemed like forever, but in truth was only a half-hour, Faramir returned. He thanked Aragorn for keeping an eye on me, and then picked me up. I gave Faramir the tightest hug in the world.

“Are you going to leave me again?” I asked.

“No, sweetheart. I am not,” replied Faramir.

After he said that, I woke up.

And that, people, is why I am so in love with Faramir.
lotr4life2007

Next

Return to Movies - Lord of the Rings (Fandom)