"Concept of ruler in Tolkien's works" I need some help ;)

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

"Concept of ruler in Tolkien's works" I need some

Postby sphinx123 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 am

Hello
I'm from Poland and next month I'm going to take an exam, actually I need to do a presentation about concept of ruler in Tolkien's works. I'm planning to talk about Aragorn, Theoden, Denethor, Galadriel, Saruman and Sauron. I've been searching in libraries, but they don't have anything useful besides trilogy, Hobbit and Silmallirion. My teacher said, that so far I didn't contained enough professional theories. I think she thought about literature themes, comparisions to other popular books. Aragorn is the easiest character to elaborate, because I plan to compare Narsil to Excalibur and wander of Aragorn to wander of Odysseus. Saruman is wise elder, who unfortunately get corrupted by desire of power, quite clear figure to describe. Could you help me? ;)
sphinx123
Petitioner to the Council

Postby heliona » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:41 am

You might be better re-posting this in the Books forum, as hardly anyone looks in here any more. :) I'm sure if you did you'd get an informative response. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group