TTT, Book 4, Chapter 4, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

TTT, Book 4, Chapter 4, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Postby Notta Hobbit » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 am

Summary

The three backtrack until they're able to turn south, and after a hard night's walk come to less barren lands. On the second morning after that they are in Ithilien, where grass and flowers are growing. They camp in a dell off the road to the west, and Sam asks Gollum to find some food. Frodo goes to sleep and Sam sees light shining in him. Then Gollum brings back 2 rabbits and Sam makes a thin stew. He offers some to Gollum but to no avail, and Gollum disappears. But Sam's fire smokes, and four men discover them. Faramir, their leader, asks their business and Frodo gives him an edited version. Faramir posts two guards and leaves. Around noon the planned ambush of the Southrons takes place, ending up right over them, and Sam sees an oliphaunt.

Question

An actual mistake in the text? In the last chapter the moon was three days past the full. Now, after walking for two days, it is "round." Oops!
Notta Hobbit
Citizen of Imladris

Re: TTT, Book 4, Chapter 4, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Postby Morwenna » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 am

That's unusual; Tolkien was generally obsessively correct when it came to timing, moon phases, etc. I'll have to go read that again.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Re: TTT, Book 4, Chapter 4, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

Postby siddharth » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 am

I have to read again it seems. And if it is indeed a flaw, then congratulations nottahobbit for finding one of the rare flaws in JRRT's works. :D :D
One thought I do have in mind is that we shouldn't expect the the Arda-moon to be taking the same no. of days to complete the cycle as our moon. But still, the gap does seem big.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group