Tolkien: Poetry and Influences

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Tolkien: Poetry and Influences

Postby markkur » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:52 am

I took a look and didn't see anything that referred to his poems. Nor did I find single spot discussing his archaic influences or favorite reading in general. (Mod Please delete this thread and point the way if I missed it)
In my mind's eye these three combine for some nice inspirational discussion. If anyone is interested I would be willing to lead the discussion from week to week. I'm no expert but I have done quite a bit of research for various purpose as well as dabbled in some poetry (his and mine), in which my interest and effort I owe to JRRT.

Edit: I did find a place for Bards. I will post something there and hope folks will participate in 2015.<L>

However for clarity, what I am proposing here is a "laid-back but accurate" look at JRRT's efforts, his inspirational forerunners and people can share about his aftstriders. :)
markkur
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Tolkien: Poetry and Influences

Postby aakicee » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:55 am

We don't hear much more..so why spend so much time on it?

Postby markkur » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 am

aakicee wrote:We don't hear much more..so why spend so much time on it?omair

Sorry but I don't understand your question.

My interest lay in discussing the Heroic poetry that influenced JRRT and his own efforts. Regarding his poems, ofc these could include his separate works as well as those he inserted into the books to drive the story.

Anyway, no matter. Seems there be no interest. :D
markkur
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:18 pm

markkur, you might be better off looking in the Books forum. I believe that there have been threads discussing Beowulf for example (or perhaps it was mentioned in a thread with a wider topic). But I suspect the topic might garner more interest in the Books forum than here. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group