INDEX of all discussion threads in VTSG, with links

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Postby Novice » Thu May 17, 2007 1:25 am

I've neglected this for a long time! I hadn't updated since October 2005!

I've got as far as FOTR Book 2 Chapter 2 and will return as soon as I can to complete the process.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Fri May 25, 2007 10:54 am

Could not believe my eyes when I saw a new post by "Novice" here. :hug:
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby Novice » Fri May 25, 2007 10:06 pm

:) I'm trying to catch up - haven't swept the floor or dusted in here for ages! ;)
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Novice » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:36 pm

I've now updated the Index up to and including FOTR Book 2 Chapters 9 & 10 - and as far as I know, those are the last chapters discussed? I can't find a thread on chapter 11 onward. Please let me know if I've missed it. :)

I'm also going to start saving the discussion threads as text-only files on my hard disk so that I can have them as a reference that won't get lost in any site crash. If anyone wants a copy, let me know - although I haven't got very far yet.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby EdaintheRanger » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:52 pm

Hey Novice,

After what happened I thought I'd better check the place out, and it seems I've found paths I have yet to tread. Even so on the unfamiliar road it is good to find tracks of those who are familiar if unseen for a while. I did see your comment on another board just I didn't get around to sending an E-mail like I would have hoped.

Hmm I never really "studied" Tolkien at this level, but I shall at least peruse a thread or so when I have the time.:)
EdaintheRanger
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvegil » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:19 pm

I think you are right as far as progress.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:59 pm

Are there going to be any more chapters analyzed here? I look every day for something new...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Novice » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi Morwenna

I was very active during the Silmarillion discussion but I'm afraid I've not had the time to keep up with these threads in the last few years, so I'm not sure who is leading the discussion these days.

Those who are still active have a thread for organising the discussion and that would be the best place to generate discussion and ask your questions. I hope activity begins again! Would be such a pity if such a rich discussion petered away unfinished.

Try here: http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic. ... &start=240
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby jammi567 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:19 am

Is this the place where i say that i'll certainly be lurking around here, now that i've discovered it, and sometimes posting, depending on what i read in the threads?
jammi567
Shield Bearer

Postby Novice » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 am

I haven't visited here in a long time, but while I'm here, if there are any new discussion threads that need to be inserted into the Index (first post in this thread) please let me know.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Re: INDEX of all discussion threads in VTGS, with links

Postby FrodoTook » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:20 am

So much to learn and love here.

VTGS remains a joy.

I thank many for this.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Novice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Oh Lordy (oftheRings) Lord! All the coding has gone bung!

I'll try and fix it all, but it will take time, so please be patient.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby JamesSkyrunner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Can we index the two tower discussions

ThorinLongbeard
JamesSkyrunner
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Novice » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Yep, I'll do it, but it'll take me a little while for me to get to it - work is killing me at the mo.

It's now on my to-do list though. :)
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby JamesSkyrunner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Would u need some help ?? I would love to help and become more involved on here maybe we can start doing the ROTK

ThorinLongbeard
JamesSkyrunner

Postby Novice » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Sure, help is welcome. :)

I can't actually give you access to the first post to edit material into it, though, because I'd have to give you my log in details.

What you can do is construct the index in a new post, and I can then copy/edit it in (with acknowledgement, of course!)

Have at it! :D
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby JamesSkyrunner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Right on I'll get on to it this morning after work it will be my project for the day ....also might come up with summary and questions for the 1st chapter in the ROTK

ThorinLongbeard
JamesSkyrunner

Postby JamesSkyrunner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:06 pm

How can we reinvite everyone from discussions 7 yrs ago I'd like to get this going I love this thread

ThorinLongbeard
JamesSkyrunner

Postby JamesSkyrunner » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Hey novice I have wrote out on paper the index so its easier to copy into a new thread for you to copy and paste but how do I enter the links into the text ? Do we use HTML or wiki text or something like that ?

ThorinLongbeard
JamesSkyrunner

Postby Novice » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:34 pm

The best way to figure out how the coding works is to go to my first post in the thread which holds the index, and "quote" it (click the quote button that appears at the top of the post).

You will then see all the coding, and you can use it as a template to copy/paste your information into it, or just simply use it as a guide as you type out your post.
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Novice » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:48 am

So, JamesSkyrunner, any developments with the Index updates?
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby Lackluster » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:21 pm

It seems links should not be a big problem. To me, writing summaries for many chapters would be a problem. So JamesSkyrunner, if you have come up with those summaries, maybe you can post them, then I could copy that and insert links if that works for you. Novice then could copy all that into the index.
Lackluster
Citizen of Imladris

Postby JamesSkyrunner » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:53 am

I been working on indexing all of the current chapters but I can write summaries for chapters too ....are we just starting with ROTK and we doing it a week at a time or all at once ??
JamesSkyrunner

Postby Lackluster » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:03 am

I was just asking whether you need help with links, or have figured it out. The existing index has both links to the threads with each chapter and summaries for each chapter, so I thought that to continue it in likewise manner we will need both links and summaries. Please let me know if you need assistance.

As to the ROTK discussion, I don't see why not start it even now, and if you are ready, I would say go ahead and post your questions (a week per chapter might be too short or might work just fine - needs testing). Personally I have mixed feelings about writing synopses for each chapter but it looks like a tradition here (I would keep it short). And I would say yes to bringing in non-LOTR material (Letters, UT, HoMe etc) if it helps clarify the issues.
Lackluster
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:36 am

If there are plans to revive this forum, I am fully in. I love this place.

I am kind of an amateur in such matters. So what does "indexing" mean here? How is it done? I'd like to lend a hand as well. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Novice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi Siddharth *waves* :)

I think this is the first time we've bumped into each other at TORC - are you the same Siddharth that I know on HoF and FB (where I am not Novice, but Impenitent)? Either way, well met.

Indexing in the context of the VTSG is relatively simple: A listsing of all the discussion threads in the forum, with hotlinks, ordered by book and chapter chronology.

I've been doing this from the beginning of the forum opening, when we commenced with The Silmarillion. It was relatively easy to upkeep this thread at the time, as the forum started off completely empty, and I started the first thread...so simply adding the links to the new study threads as they opened was not taxing at all!

At that time I practically lived here (at TORC, and specifically in the Books and Study Group fora) so I noticed every change and every post and indexed it all in a flash. :D Harder to keep up these days, as I'm not here as often, and the discussion is very spread out, but the process is simple:

If you want to assist in upkeep of this index, select a handful of discussion threads that have not yet been indexed, and provide the relevant details:

Thread number (numerical order), Book and Chapter number, chapter title, and the thread url.
Post your prepared information, and I'll copy it into the first post in the correct place for continuity.

As you can see from the first post, the Index currently covers The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and up to the first 10 Chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring.

If you want to take on the next handful (or more) of threads, go at it! Post the information here and I'll take care of the rest.

Thank you!
Novice
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:37 am

Novice wrote:Hi Siddharth *waves* :)

I think this is the first time we've bumped into each other at TORC

Nope. We bumped across in Hue's thread in the Books. ;)

are you the same Siddharth that I know on HoF and FB (where I am not Novice, but Impenitent)? Either way, well met.

Yes. :D

Indexing in the context of the VTSG is relatively simple: A listsing of all the discussion threads in the forum, with hotlinks, ordered by book and chapter chronology.

I've been doing this from the beginning of the forum opening, when we commenced with The Silmarillion. It was relatively easy to upkeep this thread at the time, as the forum started off completely empty, and I started the first thread...so simply adding the links to the new study threads as they opened was not taxing at all!

At that time I practically lived here (at TORC, and specifically in the Books and Study Group fora) so I noticed every change and every post and indexed it all in a flash. :D Harder to keep up these days, as I'm not here as often, and the discussion is very spread out, but the process is simple:

If you want to assist in upkeep of this index, select a handful of discussion threads that have not yet been indexed, and provide the relevant details:

Thread number (numerical order), Book and Chapter number, chapter title, and the thread url.
Post your prepared information, and I'll copy it into the first post in the correct place for continuity.

As you can see from the first post, the Index currently covers The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and up to the first 10 Chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring.

If you want to take on the next handful (or more) of threads, go at it! Post the information here and I'll take care of the rest.

Thank you!

Thanks for the info!
I am guessing that JamesSkyrunner has already proceeded with some more chapters from FotR?
Oh, I see FotR is already completed.Then I'll get on with Book 4 in TTT.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Re: INDEX of all discussion threads in VTSG, with links

Postby siddharth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:13 am

30. TTT, Book 4, Chapter 1: The Taming of Smeagol

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=105061

Sam and Frodo get lost in Emyn Muil and try to find a way with no avail; Frodo spots Gollum, crawling insect-like on a distant cliff; Gollum approaches and leaps on Sam; Frodo subdues him by thrusting Sting against his neck; Gollum is suddenly subservient and vows total servitude, Despite not trusting him completely he asks him to lead them to Mordor.

31. TTT, Book 4, Chapter 2: The Passage of the Marshes

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=105091

Gollum guides Frodo and Sam out of the hills and through the marshland that surrounds Mordor; Gollum leads Frodo and Sam through the Dead Marshes surrounded by ghostly floating lights; In the night a flying Nazgûl passes striking fear into them; the next morning, they arrive very close to the Black Gate; Gollum refuses to proceed but Frodo threatens him to make him go forward.

32. TTT, Book 4, Chapter 3: The Black Gate is Closed

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=105116

The trio reach the gate and watch armies of Easterlings enter it; When Frodo decides to enter it that way Gollum admits that there is another secret way in; Despite not trusting him again they decide to seek his help; Gollum senses that other Men are heading towards Mordor too; Sam asks whether they have Oliphaunts with them and he sings a song from Shire about them.
Last edited by siddharth on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Lackluster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:11 am

I am editing this post to add links to Book 3 of TTT.

Not to interfere or step on anybody's toes, but just for the purposes of uniformity with the existing index... I believe these links can simply be further copied and used. And not sure about the summaries for indexing, but they look like a great job to me.

TTT, Book 3, Chapters 1 and 2: Departure of Boromir / Riders of Rohan
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 3: The Uruk-hai
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 4: Treebeard
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 5: The White Rider
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 6: The King of the Golden Hall
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 7: Helm's Deep
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 8: The Road to Isengard
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 9: Flotsam and Jetsam
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 10: The Voice of Saruman
TTT, Book 3, Chapter 11: The Palantir

TTT Book 4, Chapter 1: The Taming of Smeagol
TTT Book 4, Chapter 2: The Passage of the Marshes
TTT Book 4, Chapter 3: The Black Gate Is Closed
TTT Book 4, Chapter 4: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
TTT Book 4, Chapter 5: The Window on the West
TTT Book 4, Chapter 6: The Forbidden Pool
TTT Book 4, Chapter 7: Journey to the Cross-Roads
TTT Book 4, Chapter 8: The Stairs of Cirith Ungol
TTT Book 4, Chapter 9: Shelob's Lair
TTT Book 4, Chapter 10: The Choices of Master Samwise
Lackluster
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Novice » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Thank you Lacklustre and Siddharth, the first post has now been updated to include the fruit of your labours. :clap:
Novice
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group