The Hobbit OOC: sign on, ask questions and chat

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Postby MisterSlice » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:27 am

Good tidings!

I'm a bit late, as I've already posted in the Chapter 1 thread, but I'm anxious. I just read Chapter 1 last night and I am so excited to have found this site and these study groups. Yesterday I had written in my blog (http://www.hesaysandshesays.com/2005/02/book_club_idea.html) that I would be seeking out a reading buddy to start reading The Hobbit with me and then continue on through the rest of Tolkien's works.

Anyway, I'm 25, married and expecting a son at the end of this month, to go along with my 21 month-old daughter. I'm in the United States Navy and living in New Orleans, but moving back to Seattle (where my wife is from) in mid-April.

I am obsessed with LotR (not because of the films) and yearning to re-read the novels for the first time since I was 12. I am an avid video gamer and golfer, as well. Oh, and I blog a lot. :)

Looking forward to getting to know all of you. I hope I didn't go overboard on the personal info, but that's usually what OOC threads are for. I'm always up for discussion, too. Nice to be here!
MisterSlice
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:28 am

Welcome to the Study Group, Mr Slice! :) All the discussions are continuously open so, we look forward to your contributions!
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Arvegil » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:52 pm

Hey, sorry about the disappearance, RL slammed me bigtime. Expect to try to put in the odd appearance, but still involved with many other things. Hope all has been well.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:41 pm

Welcome Mr_Slice! I am happy to see another late-comer enter the discussion. I just entered last month, and am enjoying the thought-provoking discussion thoroughly. Cheers! :drink:

And an early congrats on the upcoming new arrival! :D
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby MisterSlice » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:29 am

Thank you for the welcome!

I have a question for the moderators. Well, more of a request really. Would it be possible to keep these discussion threads available somewhere even when the VTSG moves on to the next novel? They don't have to be readily kept up, but it would be great for those of us starting on different books and such to have the information handy and still be able to discuss with others reading the same book as us.
MisterSlice
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starlin » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:18 am

Hello, Mr_Slice! The threads will always be open and you can even find the old Silmarillion threads somewhere in the VTSG category, so no problem. You can always post if you want!

Arvegil, it's so great to see you again! We've been wondering where you were :( Hey, the March section still has no leader :)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:57 pm

Rowanberry and starlin, thank you for your replies on my questions regarding the elven choice to become mortal (on the chapter 3 discussion thread). I need to do some more reading. I have read the Silmarillion, but somehow I took that any elf could make the choice, but that it was extremely rare that one did so. I need to get my own personal copy for reference! :|
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:15 am

Just to let you all know I am still here. I just started full time study for the first time in 15 years so I've been busy getting ontop of that. I'll post to the closing chapters of the Hobbit today.
Now, the eagerly awaited question. It's late Feb, so what's going to happen with LOTR book 1?
With that book I will be on very firm ground with so I'll feel less out of my depth. All are welcome here I know & I have no problem participating but I haven't a degree in literature nor read all of HOME yet. Us newbies do find it a little daunting here.
I'm busrtsing with excitement & anticipation though.
Do you need any help with it LOTR? Prioritising this would be a pleasure.
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starlin » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:12 pm

Frankly, I hope that we can attract more attention for LotR than we have for Hob. At least for the opening chapters. For now, we're still stuck at the very end of the Hobbit, so 'scuse me, I'll first turn to the Hob matters.
Who wants to do the last section? And what about April and that project I talked about earlier? If we decide to do it, I'd like to "book" my sections now, because I want to have the whole month for re-reading the discussions. I could do the first three sections, for example, but there is no big difference.

BTW, it;s just a suggestion, but I thought there were several core themes which occured in our discussions and perhaps, besides smaller ones, they should be given bigger attention:

- Bilbo's inner journey and its correspondence to the literal journey.
- Two-way analyzis: 'within' Tolkien's world and 'without' it.
- Glimpses of 'more dangerous' things.
- Style:
-- addressing the reader directly.
-- sudden shift of style when the things go darker etc.
-- songs and verses.
-- the structure of the chapter: how it ends, how tension grows / falls etc. (like those dreaming transitions)
- Connections with various legends and mythologies.

Comments, suggestions, votes for/against?

Now on to LotR. Last time I posted the first section. I wouldn't like to do this again, since there are people who are much better at discussing Tolkien than me :) Any volunteers? Of course, the chapters of LotR are pretty dense in their material, so discussing one at a time would not be a bad idea. Yet if we keep this pattern, it will take us years to complete the whole LotR. So we may want to join some of the chapters. On the other hand, we do have much time ahead :)

BTW, scion, neither do I have a degree in literature. And so far I have only read BoLT I from HoME. Don't worry, I'm also pretty newbish :)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Excited & jumping the gun a little

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:53 am

I thought it was a great idea when it came up! I don't mind taking 3 chapters to summarize if you like. It will be my first chance to dip my big toe into the water so to speak, and a good starting point to move onto LotR summaries/questions in the (near?) future.
4-6 perhaps?
Can I send the summary to one of you to have a very quick glance at before I add it, just in case I miss something important? And just so you know my M.O, when I say I’ll do something I will do just that or let you know well in advance if I can’t.

BTW another focus of discussion has been Tolkienian humor throughout the Hobbit. Some have said they wanted to chat about this in the final summation too.

And thankyou all VTSG Hobbit contributers in advance. I actually really enjoyed & appreciated the Hobbit for the first time. :shock:

I agree though, it has been quiet down here of late.
:oops: *blushing due to month long absence * :oops:
We’ve got our best chance of attracting interest during LotR, especially during the first few chapters.
The VTSG’s Hobbit summary in April is only a little over a month away. Maybe it’s time to start advertising FotR around the board & get an OOC up during March for people to sign up to. Place a sticky in announcements, carry a link advertising it in our TORC sig’s & that sort of thing. I know I’ve just created a lot of work for someone. :(
Although a newbie I’ll help as much as I possibly can. I am sorry if I’ve made anyone's life a little more difficult by thinking the Hobbit’s ending might dovetail neatly into the FotR.
I can begin to contibute summeries/questions from now on & add the link to my own sig when we’re all systems go. Anything else I can do to help?

Who’s going to be our Frodo (Leader)? Who’s to be our Samwise (thread watcher, conversation jumpstarter etc.) for FotR?

Now back to our normal programming (the Hobbit).
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mahima » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:54 pm

Hey everyone, I've been away for a long time, haven't I?

2005 is turning out to be tough for me. Hope to be a part of the latest chapter sooooon.

I like the ideas about the summaries. Will catch up on all that has been happening here soon.
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:48 am

I think we could start "campaigning" for LotR in April. For now, we really need someone to take up the last summaries and questions for March, and also people to sign up for the April "drawing the threads together" discussion. So I take sections 1-3...
starlin
Ranger of the North

spell checked of course

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:24 am

starlin wrote:I think we could start "campaigning" for LotR in April. For now, we really need someone to take up the last summaries and questions for March, and also people to sign up for the April "drawing the threads together" discussion. So I take sections 1-3...

I'll do 4-6 since there are no objections- it will be ready in a fortnight’s time.
And I leave off asking about LotR until April. :oops:
Can’t blame a girl for being keen can you, especially when it comes to LotR.

I'm willing to do March if you let me. Depends where you want me to start- I'm capable, want to do it & have the time but being new I don't know how you'll all feel about this.
Simple summary & questions for chapters 17, 18 & 19 right?
Either way is ok. :)
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:39 pm

I can take parts 7-8 or 7-9, depending on how we share them. Just a warning: my section won't be ready until late April, for real life reasons.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Mahima » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:22 am

Am a little lost -- the summaries we are talking about are the kind which Rom used to do for the Sil, right?
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:47 am

starlin wrote:What are we going to do in April? I have a suggestion. We've got 14 sections, and 14 threads of discussion. There are some 4-5 of us who have written summaries, maybe someone else also would like to join. So, we could divide these sections, some 2-3 each, and make summaries of the discussions, i.e. 1) what has been discussed 2) what were the main points 3) what conclusions were made. Then we post everything in the April section and, seeing those 'summaries', we can draw the threads together, see any common questions, main strands etc.

Hey there Mahima,
Don't worry, I'm constantly confused. :wink:
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starlin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:55 am

Mahima wrote:Am a little lost -- the summaries we are talking about are the kind which Rom used to do for the Sil, right?

You mean the "At a glance" sections? Well, we could do it similarly, I mean listing all the responses telling who and where talked on certain topics. But we could do it in other way: listing not the posts, but the topics - for example, in section N we talked about how cunning Bilbo really is. I write a heading "Is Bilbo cunning?" or something like that, and summarize the main arguments on this topic.Then again, I write "Humour", and note down what has been said about humour. That's how I imagine it.

scion, sure you can take March. :)

>>Simple summary & questions for chapters 17, 18 & 19 right?

Right. As usual.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:26 pm

March is on it's way.
I have 1/2 the day off today, so it should be up by this evening.
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:04 pm

Chapter 17 is up- it's the best I can do at short notice although I would have preferred to sit on it (not literally! :roll:) for a week or so. I realise I didn't address Bilbo's interaction with Thorin well in the sumary, so I'll have a slight tweak with that soon.
Update: Chapter 18 is up now- I'm exhausted & my brain's a bit fried so the questions aren't too good but it gives us a starting point. :(
19 will have to wait 24 hours or so because I have a full day today.
Any glaring mistakes or omissions let me know.
Cheers,
Scion
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starlin » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:31 am

Thanks, scion, I'll have a look as soon as possible (currently participating in online debates therefore have to write other things, but it'll end soon)!
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:11 pm

I just have to say I want to express my appreciation for all the hard work you are all doing on getting this done. This is a lot of fun and I can't wait to catch up with you. I have my notebook, notes, printouts, and I am going through one chapter at a time as slowly and carefully as I can with the anticipation of catching up in the back of my mind all the time.

I hope I will be able to participate in a more timely manner with LOTR.

Anyway, again, I just wanted to let you all know how enjoyable this is and that your work is very very very appreciated! :D
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby Mahima » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:16 am

Thanks, WyrtWif. :hug:

Starlin, I can take 3 chapters too. Let me know which ones.
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:44 am

We are flattered, WyrtWif :wink:

Mahima, so far we have this:

starlin - February, March, April 2004
scion_arwenevenstar - May, June, July 2004
rowanberry - August, September, (October) 2004

You can take anything that's left! Rowan said she could take either two or three, depending on how we are going to share. Basically, that's what's left:

December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:36 am

Thankyou Wyrtwif.

19 is up now a bit later than I thought it would be because I spent 3 hours rescuing some dumped kittens tonight :shock: :(.
They are only a few days old & a vet nurse is going to hand raise all four of them! :)
Thankyou for letting me do this since I enjoyed it & learned a lot.

Um Starlin, you forgot November above. :wink: :)
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mahima » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:48 am

Will be checking your stuff out now scion, thanks for your effort. :)

starlin I'll take Dec 04 - Jan 05, so that one more person can pitch in. So who will it be --- anyone???? :)
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:13 am

November - oops :oops:

Ok, so the new list of vacancies is:

November 2004
February 2005
March 2005

BTW, scion, has anyone sent you the password of VTSG user? You're the member of the club now :) If not, email me at etelie at yahoo dot co dot uk.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:42 am

Thanks for sending the VTSG Password Starlin, as well as updating the Hobbit timetable.

I'll be able to do it myself next time. :)
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arvegil » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:05 pm

Hello! Still too swamped to participate, but I am glad to see that things appear to be doing well. Maybe you could go really hardcore and do a VTSG of Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth! That could chew up months, if you could get enough people.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby Lillassea » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi Starlin, et al !!!

I would be most happy to do Novemeber 2004, if you would like.

And Thank-You, Scion, for your wonderful summaries for the last three chapters - such a tremendous amount of work in such a short time !

Lill

8)
Lillassea
Shield Bearer

Postby Mahima » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:56 am

Agh, my taking up Dec-Jan has left poor Nov stranded alone. I didn't realise that.

Lill, how about you take up Feb-Mar 05, and I'll include Nov 04 in my timetable??
Mahima
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group