The Hobbit OOC: sign on, ask questions and chat

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Postby Lillassea » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi Mahima!

I would be very happy to do Feb & March '05.

Thank-you!

Lill
Lillassea
Shield Bearer

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:03 am

Hi everyone, I hope your all doing well. :)
I've a quick etiquette question.

MithLuin posted a thread in "books" announcing "fandom" has started a reading group for LotR- purely book based (not film or RP).
Time to Re-read the Lord of the Rings!

Is it impolite to advertise we are starting up FotR soon too? I'm quite happy to say so but don't want to offend anyone.

We could always just post our announcement when ready separately.
Any ideas/ opinions?
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starlin » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:25 pm

Yeah, well, I saw it too late... Of course it is not good that we have more or less similar parallel discussions (and there's the Reaction project, too). Yet, ours is a bit different. A bit more structured, I guess, with questions and summaries... Anyway, I think I'd agree with scion that we should have April as our "promotion" month. Of course, firstly we have to think of how to finish this one: we're really stuck :( I can post something more, but there is not real point in answering the questions if no one is answering you back. So I suggest we wait with the final Hob summaries till around April 10th - we'll have more time to finish with these final three chapters properly.

But the "promotion" could start from April 1st (April Fools :)), if we wish. I don't have a PM, but those who do could add a link to their signatures... First, we have to have something to link to. The VTSG-user will open the new OOC thread, of course. Now what shall we post within? The usual welcome message, surely, and then, some kind of timetable. Any ideas on how we are going to distribute our discussion? And, any volunteers for the first section (I volunteered last time! :))?
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:57 am

Hello?! Has RL already killed everybody? :( I'm also stuck with it, but I would be able to submit my summaries in a week, and even set up a preliminary LotR timetable for us. But is there a point if "us" is no one (or has been almost no one during the past few weeks)? I mean, what's the point in starting LotR when we haven't got anyone to discuss it? Or have we? If everybody is fed up with RL now, just say it, we can postpone LotR.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:44 pm

As I said before, don't expect my summaries until towards the end of April. For my part, I am quite swamped by real life at the moment (not to mention that I've also been ill) so, we might well postpone the LOTR by a month or so.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby brambleroseGamgee » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:13 pm

You mean we are going to do LOTR after Hobbit right??!:D I've been waiting to do LOTR;) 8)
brambleroseGamgee
Shield Bearer

Postby starlin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:57 am

Well, I'd say, it's not so much about having the summaries right now. We won't have much discussion anyway, the most important thing is just to draw the threads together, so no worries about posting your summaries late ;)

What we should have in mind now is that if we want LotR to start successfully, we have to set the timetables now, start 'promotion' and find the first volunteer. So if we start doing these things now, we are able to start LotR in May.

OK, I'll open an OOC thread and add a preliminary timetable. Just give me a couple of days.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Bombadillo » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:52 pm

If you need someone to post summaries and lead discussions, count me in. If you come up with a timetable, I can get the summaries and questions together.

I haven't been contributing to this board for a good long while now, but I'm back and very much interested in getting in on the beginning of LOTR.

Let me know if I can help.
Bombadillo
Mariner

Postby Mahima » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:54 am

Hey!! :(

Am sorry, have been so swamped with RL!! Things should be a little bette next week onwards. Let us make a plan for LOTR, and start rolling it out!
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:38 pm

I decided that if I get down to the final summaries now, I'll do them. So they are already here. I tried to look for the main points for each (relevant) topic. Sorry if I haven't quoted all of you, but I tried to keep it as concise as possible. Ready for LotR now :) (although I still can later do the section that is still not taken)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvegil » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:35 pm

Hello! Am still slammed, but have not forgotten.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby Mahima » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:56 am

Thanks for your fantastic work, Starlin!! I just checked it out.
I would like to add my stuff too... but shouldn't we do it in order of the chapters.

The people who were supposed to do after Chapter III, if they could just reserve posts, then we could start on the others.... Who was it?
Starlin, you have the list?
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:50 am

The list was added to the first post. Here it is again, but, hrum brurarum, I'm afraid it's not updated:

February 04, March 04, April 04 - starlin
May 04, June 04, July 04 - scion_arwenevenstar
August 04, September 04, October 04 - rowanberry
November 04 - any takers?
December 04, January 05 - Mahima
February 05, March 05 - any takers?

So, scion comes next with three posts (I guess it is more convenient to have a separate post for each section), then rowan with three... Who's next? Oh, I see that Lillassea took Feb and March 2005 and you then took November.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Lillassea » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Hi Starlin!

Yes, I am writing Feb'05 and March'05 and should have those up in a couple of days. Sorry I've been slow, but RL has me very busy right now! Thanx for all your hard work on The Hobbit. Following along has been a joy!

Lill
:)
Lillassea
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:44 pm

As soon as I get a couple of other assignments off my hands (which should happen next week), I'll take on my summaries. I just hope Scion gets here and reserves space for his/her posts before I'm ready to post mine, to keep the chapters in order.
rowanberry

Postby rowanberry » Fri May 06, 2005 9:46 am

Now, I have two of my summaries ready, and will finish the third one this weekend; do you think that it's OK for me to post them, although nothing has been heard of Scion? S/he hasn't been around for over a month...

If s/he doesn't appear in the near future, would someone else be able to do his/her part (Chapters 4 to 6)?
rowanberry

Postby starlin » Sat May 07, 2005 10:08 am

I could do it, but only in June. If no one else wants to...
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Prince_of_the_Halflings » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:13 pm

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Now that you've moved on to FOTR my interest is piqued. I've read LOTR 20+ times and am currently re-reading HOME - in particularly the 4 volumes concerning LOTR (although I must say The Notion Club Papers and the Drowning of Anadune are quite interesting too).

Some of the latest discussion re: Chapter 2 - especially the nature of the Ring - is particularly good and I may be compelled to participate. :)
Prince_of_the_Halflings
Shield Bearer

Postby Rhiannon_Altatari » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:34 pm

Hi everyone...I'm kind of a newbie at this discussion by chapter thing...already jumped in with both feet over in the LOTR thread, volunteered to take a chapter off their collective hands over there, so I think I'll just lurk for now. Besides, I'm not done reading the Hobbit yet, and I'd rather not volunteer to head up something until I have some semblance of an idea of what I'm talking about. :wink: So for the Hobbit discussions, I'll just listen and lurk, I think.

I do have one question, though. It's not about any particular book or story, but about Tolkien's writing in general. What the heck is up with his fascination with spiders? There's Shelob in LotR and a whole forestfull (Mirkwood) over in The Hobbit! YUCK!!!!!! (Now I think I know why Legolas left home...LOL. I know I would have!)
Rhiannon_Altatari
Petitioner to the Council

Postby starlin » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:24 am

Hello, Rhiannon_Altatari :) The Hobbit discussions are over now, though the threads remain open for the others to add their two cents whenever they want to. As for spiders, Humphrey Carpenter tells about one event in his childhood when he was bitten by a tarantula. However, this only may be the unconscious reason for stories about giant spiders and should not be taken for granted. By the way, general questions could be more thoroughly answered in the Tolkien Virgin or the Books forums. Good luck! :)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi there,
All of my Chapter Summaries are finally posted.
My sincerest apologies to everyone for the delay, and knocking the thread out of sync.
I need some help with the giant references cited from BoLT II on the Chapter 6 summary since I don't yet have a copy.
I was going by what was on the Ch 6 discussion thread but are those I've cited correct? (probably not)

Thanks,

Sci
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Gosh, I really wish I hadn't been on hiatus in 2004-2005. :roll: I would have loved to have taken part in The Hobbit VTSG.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to commit a lot of thread necromancy and post my thoughts on all the wonderful questions and postulations that were posed all those years ago. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Previous

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group