Lord of the Rings OOC: ROLL CALL - who is still around?

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Postby pippinsqueak » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:22 pm

Hmm, well it would be nice to know if he's working on the summary and we just need to be patient for a little longer, or if life's just too busy for him right now and someone should take his place.

I haven't seen him post anywhere, though he seems to be visiting the messageboard every day. Anyone have his email address?
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:42 am

Just before I left for my weekend trip, I reminded him about the VTSG in a thread he's been posting in, and at least there he answered that he's going to get working on it.

If someone else wants to ask him about his plans, his e-mail address is in the e-mail address list on the The One Ring forum - see the first post and scroll down to T.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby pippinsqueak » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:26 pm

I found his address there a few days ago and wrote to him, Rowanberry. He said he's been very busy in real life, going to job interviews but said he would get it done as soon as possible. I wrote back to ask him if he'd like someone to step in for him, but he hasn't replied to that (yet).

I know people don't like to disappoint, but maybe we should have an understanding that if you can't get your summary and questions up by the end of the first week then someone else should be able to volunteer and step in?
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby Gwenneth_Eruwen » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:26 pm

*pokes head in* I shall be lurking and perhaps taking part occationaly.

-Gwenny-
Gwenneth_Eruwen
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:48 am

Welcome to the club, Gwenny! :)

Pips, that would be a good idea; the one whose turn it would be to write the summary just should let the others know as soon as possible if they aren't able to take their turn. And then, unfortunately, there are those who sign up for a chapter and disappear altogether... :(

If TWT gets his post up soon, we can perhaps take it as the topic for June, and do the next chapter in July. It's probably necessary to update the schedule anyway.
rowanberry

Postby pippinsqueak » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:43 am

I just received an email from TWT. He has been extremely busy and says:

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone else could do the summary for this chapter. I'm re-reading LOTR right now and as soon as I read the chapter will come up with a set of questions. I hate not living up to my promises and this is really weighing on me. I'm really sorry, I should have written this e-mail a couple weeks ago and saved a lot of time and trouble.

So any takers on doing the summary? Sounds like TWT feels he can come up with the questions, but maybe whoever does the summary should do questions as well, just in case . . .

It being April 27 it makes sense that we push the schedule back a month as rowanberry suggests, or maybe double-up in May and have the second summary posted on the 15th?

Welcome, Gwenneth!!

pip
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvegil » Mon May 01, 2006 11:05 am

Has the chapter summary been farmed out?
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby pippinsqueak » Mon May 01, 2006 1:53 pm

I don't think anyone's claimed it. Want a go at it, Arvegil?
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby pippinsqueak » Fri May 05, 2006 11:28 am

Well, if neither Arvegil or anyone else wants to do this chapter then I will have a go at it. I'll have something up by Monday.
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri May 05, 2006 1:56 pm

Thank you, Pips. 8) That will be the May discussion then; hopefully TWT will be able to come up with the questions.

I'll update the schedule this weekend, and perhaps do some other rearrangements as well.
rowanberry

Postby VTSG » Fri May 05, 2006 2:08 pm

For rescheduling the discussion and arranging turns for writing the summaries and questions, I'd like to know how many of you are still around and intending to participate? If you're still in, please post here to let me know.
VTSG
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Roccondil » Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm in and ready to discuss :) I'd be happy to do a summary soon if there is a free slot.
Roccondil
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Fri May 05, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm around, I just haven't done any more reading of LOTR for months. :oops:
But, yes, basically, I'm still taking part. :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Sat May 06, 2006 9:14 am

Roccondil, would you like to do either Many Meetings in June or The Council of Elrond in July? Both were booked by people who haven't been around since last summer, and I very much doubt that they will suddenly return.
rowanberry

Postby starlin » Sun May 07, 2006 1:17 am

Hello everyone, I am so so so so sorry I couldn't participate lately :( Due to RL-hell I had to give up several things I was doing and unfortunately VTSG was one of them. However, this does not mean that I give it up completely - after all I've been here for quite a long time :) In some two weeks my RL should slow down. In September I'm probably leaving to China for a year and I don't think I will have much free time over there, so I want to do loads of Tolkien things before I leave - I promise to be here in the summer and participate in the discussions (can't promise about writing summaries, though, but if necessary, I can write one).

Sorry again...
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Roccondil » Mon May 08, 2006 3:57 am

I've had almost no spare time over the last month or so, but hopefully that is going to ease a bit now. I'll be happy to do "The Council of Elrond" for the beginning of July.
Roccondil
Rider of the Mark

Postby pippinsqueak » Mon May 08, 2006 8:50 am

Hi everyone, revised ETA for the summary this month. I will have it up tomorrow. My summary is too long, so I have to summarize it! :P I'll also try to do some questions, but I rather suck at them, so please, someone else come up with something, too. I doubt TWT will be contributing.
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Mon May 08, 2006 10:55 am

All right, I'll book The Council of Elrond to Roccondil. :thumbsup:

Anybody interested in Many Meetings? If not, I'll take it myself.
rowanberry

Postby Hunter » Sun May 14, 2006 11:07 pm

~

Been awhile since I lurked in here and hope that I'll be able to join in during some of the discussions.

Great job all of you are doing here. :)

~
Hunter
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Mon May 15, 2006 2:06 pm

Hello and welcome, Hunter! :) Jump right in, the more input, the better! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Arvegil » Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Maybe I can be pencilled in for August.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Thu May 18, 2006 10:44 am

OK, I'll gladly book August (The Ring Goes South) for you; hope you'll remember it when it becomes actual, and don't have any computer problems...

I'll still leave September for Gilwen, but if she doesn't show up, somebody else can have it. And, since nobody has claimed Many Meetings, I take it myself, so that it gets done.
rowanberry

Postby IamMoose » Thu May 18, 2006 1:45 pm

I am still here and will be participating more as I am doing a reread :)
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby starlin » Wed May 24, 2006 12:21 pm

Em... it seems we've got two Chapter 11s ;)

I'm back and I'll do my best to catch up. It's so good to be back, by the way :)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Starshadow » Wed May 24, 2006 1:15 pm

Sorry...I ran into some nasty real life issues, and went away for a while. I'm back now, though. My sincere apologies.
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Starshadow » Sun May 28, 2006 4:53 am

Question/Suggestion:

I wonder if maybe one of the reasons we have such a hard time keeping this going (aside from just getting busy IRL) is that we only do a chapter a month? It might be a little "slow" and thus the conversation runs out.

Would it maybe be better to do a chapter every two weeks?
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby gwynhvar » Sun May 28, 2006 8:48 am

I have been out of touch for maybe a month due to my life turning upside down in many ways - though I've occasionally scanned the topic headings just to see what people were talking about - had no time to read a thread, though, much less respond.

I am going to catch up reading posts on last chapter.

I wish I could take a chapter on but simply can't. Maybe by Christmas or so things may settle a bit - it's a long book, I am sure I will be able to contribute at some point.

Starshadow, I love that pic of Eomer and the quote from the Riders of Rohan arriving at Minis Tirith - I remember that it gave me chills when I first read it. "Rohan had come at last." (from memory - hope it's accurate!) (on edit - duh! i just read it in your quote - I am still distracted!)

BTW, would someone tell me what "OCC' stands for? Thanks.
gwynhvar
Rider of the Mark

Postby rowanberry » Sun May 28, 2006 11:26 am

Starshadow, I think that being busy in RL is the most important reason for the slowness of the discussion. We could of course always try two chapters a month, but that depends on if the participants will be able to do that.

Gwynhvar, in roleplays, "OOC" means "out of character", a thread where the participants can discuss things without messing up the actual story; here, it might mean "out of context" or "out of conversation" or something like that. (Maybe "a word aside" would be a better description.)

As for being busy in RL, I probably won't get the June summary up until after the upcoming down time next weekend.
rowanberry

Postby ~WyrtWif~ » Wed May 31, 2006 10:13 pm

Hello all - I've been away for.... a year? Oh my. :oops: Apologies... I plan to be stopping by more frequently again. Guild Wars usurped my time of the last several months, but it has lost some of its initial charm.

EDIT: I am almost finished catching up on reading the posted summaries of the first book, FOTR. I will try to refrain from posting in interest of time - so I can catch up. It was a bit of a rip for me to abandon the Hobbit summaries, but since the final summary has been written, I decided it was time for me to move on already! :lol:
~WyrtWif~
Shield Bearer

Postby Arvegil » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:56 pm

Hi!

Done some preliminary work on my chapter, but am concerned that the July chapter appears to be behind schedule.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group