Lord of the Rings OOC: ROLL CALL - who is still around?

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Postby starlin » Sat May 07, 2005 10:13 am

It depends on: whether there are enough free chapters for everyone; how much time you think you can spend on writing the summaries and leading the thread; whether you have something interesting to say. Basically, you can write the summaries unlimited :)

Speaking about Bombadil... I think Bombadillo wanted to take "In the House of Tom Bombadil", right? I just thought, if no one else minds it, I would really like to take November, Fog on the Barrow-downs. But of course FallOfFingolfin said first that he was fond of Bombadil... (actually it's not Bombadil I want to do this chapter for, rather the wight :twisted: )

pippinsqueak, should I sign you for December 2007 then?
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby FallOfFingolfin » Sat May 07, 2005 10:20 am

Bombadillo can have it! He's probably more learned in Bombadil's ways than me.

Perhaps I could do The Council of Elrond, if no one's interested?
FallOfFingolfin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Mahima » Sun May 08, 2005 1:52 am

starlin, Hobby has signed up for September - just giving you a gentle prod for it. :)

Hey Imp!! :hug: Hang around, babe, wouild love to see the Creator back here! ;)
Mahima
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Sun May 08, 2005 7:22 am

I've added Hobby to the timeline, and e-mailed her the password.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby pippinsqueak » Sun May 08, 2005 9:08 am

Starlin, yes, please, sign me up for December 2007. Don't send me the VTSG password yet though, because I'll just lose it/forget it. I may sign up for something else sooner, as well, but I just wanted to 'dibs' those chapters now. I promise to be true to VTSG and still be here in 2.5 years!
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Fri May 13, 2005 3:14 pm

I just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten you guys! :)

LOL, I think I shouldn't say "be back soon" (as I did in my last post in the discussion), as that mostly means I don't get round to posting for some time.

I'm just having reams to read for several other things, so I don't have the energy to concentrate on reading here after I'm done with those.

But I keep trying! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby miles2go » Fri May 13, 2005 6:37 pm

I hope you guys don't mind if I join you. I realize I've gone about this backwards, I should have asked before I posted, but I became so enthusiastic from reading your discussion, I couldn't help myself! Thanks to all for all the work you have done and will continue to do.
Best to all,
Miles
miles2go
Shield Bearer

Postby starlin » Mon May 23, 2005 12:05 pm

A belated hello to miles, nice to see you here :)

About that to-do list. I think that we could add the questions we would like to keep for the future in the first post next to the section they should be discussed in. E.g.:

2005 May 1

TEXT: Chapter 1
SUMMARY: Bombadillo
THREAD LEADER: Bombadillo
TO-DO: Did hobbits have hairy feet? Discuss the nature of the Ring.

Etc.

So, may I take Chapter 8, Fog on the Barrow-downs? And, is anyone still not on the list though they have said they wanted to do a chapter?
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Tue May 24, 2005 12:07 pm

No objections to you taking up the Barrow-downs, I think.

And, a belated welcome to Miles for my part as well. :)
rowanberry

Postby pippinsqueak » Tue May 24, 2005 1:28 pm

Starlin, I would like to do Journey to the Crossroads and the Stairs of Cirith Ungol in *gasp* October 2007. It seems sooo far away.

And on that point, do you think we need an entire month to discuss some of the chapters? Discussion on A Long Expected Party has been pretty slow lately, and we've gotten rather off topic, too.

BTW when we do two chapters in one month do we do them consecutively - first one, then the next - or concurrently - both at the same time?
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby Roccondil » Tue May 24, 2005 3:16 pm

Having just squeezed in enough time to post earlier on, I thought I should squeeze some more to introduce myself to the Study Group and show my interest.

There have been some very good posts so far, and I hope to make some more contributions myself as the chapters progress.
Roccondil
Rider of the Mark

Postby pippinsqueak » Tue May 24, 2005 9:20 pm

Hello and welcome, Roccondil! (may I call you Rocco?).

It's nice to have some 'new blood' around here. Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself. What brought you to TORC, and for how long have you been reading LOTR?
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby Roccondil » Wed May 25, 2005 1:41 am

Thanks for the welcome, pippinsqueak. I hesitate a little to say too much - I think that posts should speak for themselves. I have been reading Tolkien for over 40 years, and I have continued to read it because I still have not plumbed the full depths of his complexity and storytelling. I hope that does not sound too intimidating to others who have been reading Tolkien for a shorter time, but whose thoughts and opinions will be at least as valid and interesting as someone who has spent a longer time with the books.
Roccondil
Rider of the Mark

Postby rowanberry » Wed May 25, 2005 8:48 am

Welcome for my part too, Roccondil. :) Having a Tolkien experience of several decades isn't at all intimidating; you probably just have discovered much that the newer readers haven't yet - one can really read and reread Tolkien's works, and always find something new.
rowanberry

Postby starlin » Sat May 28, 2005 1:19 pm

The schedule has been updated. Check it, I could have messed something up. I was a bit confused with pippinsqueak: so you want to do Oct 2007, and Dec 2007 or only Oct 2007? Sorry, I'm so busy in RL that my head's not working properly :oops:

Hello, Roccondil! Welcome to VTSG!

pippinsqueak: I don't think the discussion would be much quicker if we did two long chapters at a time. Maybe we could try, but many of us have lots to do IRL and cannot contribute very often so smaller portions allow us to find various details without having to read much text for one section. BTW, in comparison with Hob, this month's discussion is fast-paced! :D Well yes, it could be not so entish... Personally, I am doing my best :P When we do two chapters in one month, we usually post both summaries and both questions at the beginning of the thread and the chapters are discussed at the same time.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilwen » Sun May 29, 2005 11:18 am

Hi everyone!

I've been a Tolkien fan for 14 years now, and I've been reading LotR, TH, and Sil at least once a year since then, and ocassionaly UT, and HoME. I got caught up in Tolkien's magic since day one and I'd love to discuss my views and opinions about LotR with all of you.

I've been a member of Tolkien Online for 5 years. Though I' ve been away for awhile, I come back with more time to spend with you, so count me in!

I'd like to make the summary and be thread leader for At the Sign of the Prancing Pony and Strider, that's December 2005...
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Mon May 30, 2005 10:45 am

Welcome to VTSG, Gilwen! :)

You've been added to the timetable as the December discussion leader, and if you provide an e-mail address to which the VTSG account password can be sent, you'll get that one too if you want. (To better avoid spammers, please give it in the form "yourname at server dot com".
rowanberry

Postby Gilwen » Mon May 30, 2005 2:00 pm

Thank you rowan! You can email me the password to gilwen at yahoo dot com. I'm very glad to be a part of VTSG! :)
God bless!
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby pippinsqueak » Mon May 30, 2005 9:16 pm

starlin thanks for the clarifications regarding the chapters and the timing. I think I'm so overwhelmed by the amount of time it will take us to get through LOTR that I'm feeling a bit impatient, but now I understand the reason for the 'entish' pacing ;).

And I'd like to do the October 2007 summary, the chapter The Stairs of Cirith Ungol. I think maybe that was December at some time but then the scheduling changed slightly. :shock:

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to The Shadow of the Past on Wednesday, led by scirroco. Been studying up on it, I have. :P
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Tue May 31, 2005 3:23 am

Pip, studying yodaish, you have been, I see :twisted:

Hello, Gilwen, nice to see you here! I hope you will have good time with us.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Tue May 31, 2005 8:15 am

OK Gilwen, I've sent you the password. Please check your junk mail folder too, if you don't find it in your inbox; the subject should indicate the contents clearly.
rowanberry

Postby scirocco » Tue May 31, 2005 6:04 pm

I'll have the new chapter summary up sometime today. Just putting the final touches to it. :)
scirocco
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Tue May 31, 2005 10:45 pm

Wow, scirocco, that was punctual indeed :D I'll have a look at it ASAP, though I think I'll stay with Chapter 1 for a while, too, the discussion still has nice points...
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby scion_arwenevenstar » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:17 pm

Hello everybody, I'm back.:oops:
Um, you are free to roast me for dropping the ball on the closing summeries for the Hobbit. RL has kept me very busy.
:?
The thread is still open so I will do it now and I can add some interesting things about the first edition Hobbit that I have at the moment. :woah:

So why on earth am I posting this here???
I'd like to join the discussion group for LotR too if that's ok.
Last edited by scion_arwenevenstar on Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
scion_arwenevenstar
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starlin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:30 am

scion, I'm glad to see you back! It's good that you appeared and that you're going to add the summaries - I was supposed to do it after my exams if you were not to appear ;) RL sometimes makes us disappear, so don't worry, such things happen to everyone! And welcome to LOTR, of course.

*flies off to the new LotR thread*
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvegil » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:55 pm

Hello...

Hope all has been well. I got slammed hard by RL, then had to get some ligaments re-attached. It appears that nary a beat was missed by my absence, so much the better.

Anyway, I tossed in something for this month. I really have no time for the rest of the site, but hope I might toss the odd tangent in here.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilwen » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:08 am

Thanks rowan! I've just received the password. I was having problems with my modem.
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Prince_of_the_Halflings » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:29 pm

(ah - should have posted this here rather than in the Hobbit OOC):

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Now that you've moved on to FOTR my interest is piqued. I've read LOTR 20+ times and am currently re-reading HOME - in particularly the 4 volumes concerning LOTR (although I must say The Notion Club Papers and the Drowning of Anadune are quite interesting too). Some of the latest discussion re: Chapter 2 - especially the nature of the Ring - is particularly good and I may be compelled to participate. :)

It's a masterstroke that the Ring isn't just 'evil' but rather appeals to the bearer's deepest desires - otherwise it wouldn't be perilous for an essentially good person to bear it.
Prince_of_the_Halflings
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:46 am

Welcome to the Study Group, Prince_of_the_Halflings! Hope you really will participate! (And, even though the Sil and Hobbit have already been read through, the discussions are continuously open.)
rowanberry

Postby _Isis » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:44 pm

Hey folks, if this thread is still active for discussion leader sign ups then I would very much like to stake a claim for A Knife in the Dark, which IIRC comes around in January 2006. I recently covered this chapter for another Tolkien discussion board, so I thought it would be pretty cool to discuss that (and the rest of the book) with some new people.

I joined TORC a little while ago, and although I am severely weighed down by my studies for another couple of weeks, I fully intend to get more actively involved as soon as I am able to.
_Isis
Citizen of Imladris

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group