Lord of the Rings OOC: ROLL CALL - who is still around?

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Postby gwynhvar » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:19 am

Hello, interested participant here. Though I have read and re-read LOTR for almost thirty years, I feel too new to the board and to this discussion to volunteer to lead. Perhaps after familiarizing myself I will. Looking forward to the discussions.
gwynhvar
Rider of the Mark

Postby rowanberry » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:44 am

Welcome, Isis and gwynhvar! :)

Isis, A Knife in the Dark has been booked for you. Tell us if you want the VTSG group password, now or later, so someone of the group can e-mail it to you.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby starlin » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:12 am

Hello all new faces :)

I am finishing off my exams now so I am sorry I couldn't contribute to the Chapter 2 discussion. But I will be able to do it next week, so I'll be there.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby _Isis » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:45 pm

Thanks muchly! Hokey dokey, rowan, what I'm thinking is this: not quite yet! I plan to get myself one of them thar PM thingies in the near future, then I'll be able to stick my details in my footer. I'll give you a shout when I have straightened that out and when I am able to hang out here and take part in the discussions properly...that'll be July. Is that okay?
_Isis
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Prince_of_the_Halflings » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:59 am

Thanks rowan!

I've posted some thoughts about 'The Shadow of the Past'
Prince_of_the_Halflings
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:09 pm

That's perfectly OK, Isis. :)
rowanberry

Postby Gilwen » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:38 pm

Welcome Isis, prince and gwynhvar, and welcome back starlin!
I've been away from the forum for a few days... First, my computer refused to work, and when I finnally got it fixed, I had tons of things to do, but I'm back now, ready for more comments!
There have been very good posts lately! :)
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Rhiannon_Altatari » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:07 am

Hi all...newbie jumping in with both feet. 8) I just finished reading Lord of the Rings for the first time and I've watched the trilogy about three or four times now. Just got a copy of The Hobbit and planning to read that too. I wouldn't mind handling a chapter topic, with the exception of anything to do with Shelob. I hate spiders! :puke: ICK!!! So any of the chapters minus Shelob are fine with me. Let me know what you need. So I will need to write a summary of the chapter? (Just checking to see if I know what needs doing.)

Thanks, and I am looking forward to participating in some good discussions.

Rhiannon Altatari
Rhiannon_Altatari
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gilwen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:38 pm

Welcome to VTSG Rhiannon! Every opinion is useful, so we're looking forward to reading yours. Post whenever you're ready! :)
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Rhiannon_Altatari » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 pm

Thank you, Gilwen. First I'm going to print a copy of the timetable and see what chapters are up for grabs, then I'll let you know which one I've gone for. I think I'll also go through the forum and print up the past chapter discussions too, to see how deeply everyone else goes into things and try and match the same pace. Don't care to have my topics be thought of as boring by comparision. LOL. :wink:
Rhiannon_Altatari

Postby the_australian_elf » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:31 pm

Hello everyone! Well, I'm not exactly new, but my computer has been playing up lately :x.
Anyway, can I join in? I might be able to handel a chapter topic, but I am a bit busy at the moment, so it might have to wait until later.
the_australian_elf

Postby Rhiannon_Altatari » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:40 pm

All right. Gilwen, I think I've made up my mind about the first chapter I'll tackle. I will take Book Two, Chapter One, Many Meetings scheduled for March 2006. How's that sound? It'll give me plenty of time to participate in some discussions, see how they generally go, and try my best to emulate them. 8)
Rhiannon_Altatari

Postby rowanberry » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:39 am

Welcome to VTSG, the_australian_elf!

Rhiannon, you have been added to the timetable for "Many Meetings" summary and thread leader.
rowanberry

Postby the_australian_elf » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:43 pm

Thankz, Rowanberry. Most people call me Aussielf, though. :)

Where do I go to start?
the_australian_elf

Postby Rhiannon_Altatari » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:02 pm

Thanks, rowanberry. I know I have plenty of time, but I've already started my chapter outline, and have come up with a couple of questions. I'm hoping to come up with more over the next while. I also found some ideas for book reports online (from resources for teachers) and thought about adapting some of those for use here. Is that all right?
Rhiannon_Altatari

Postby Gilwen » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:19 am

Welcome Aussielf!

Rhiannon, anything that can help with the discussions, or that brings interesting topics to the threads are most welcome. You can find many links to different and very useful websites if you visit the VTSG Virtual Resource Library...
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Thewhitetree » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:56 pm

Wow. I'd forgotten about this whole forum. I feel so bad. :( Did I leave any commitments behind in the Hobbit?

I had a couple of absences and whe I return it takes me a while to remember all the threads where I posted. I usually go to the regular forums and search the threads. I don't know how I passed over this one...

Well I'm back and that's all that matters. :) Its nice to be back and see familiar faces. I'll be posting as soon as possible.

BTW, I'm back for good now so you can put me up for the next available chapter. :)

Cheers,

TWT
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:29 am

Welcome back, TWT! :)

The next available chapter would be Flight to the Ford in February 2006; would that be OK for you? If you remember the VTSG password (you should have got it), you can add your own name in the timetable for that chapter.

As for the July discussion, I probably won't have enough time to write the summary until in the weekend so, it will be up sometime on Monday the 4th.
rowanberry

Postby Gilwen » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:17 pm

Don't worry rowan! I think there are a few other points in Chapter two we can discuss about during the weekend! :wink:
Edit
BTW I signed in to be thread leader and summary-writer for chapters 3-4 of book two (The Ring Goes South and A Journey in the Dark).
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Thewhitetree » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:30 pm

The next available chapter would be Flight to the Ford in February 2006; would that be OK for you? If you remember the VTSG password (you should have got it), you can add your own name in the timetable for that chapter.

I'll do that. I should have it somewhere...

As for the July discussion, I probably won't have enough time to write the summary until in the weekend so, it will be up sometime on Monday the 4th.

Gives me extra time to think about what I can write for this chapter... :) [/quote]
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Thewhitetree » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:33 pm

This is my second DP this month! :blush: >-O
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby starlin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:54 am

I just wonder if rowan is around, she's on the schedule :roll: Not a big deal, I just wonder if I'll be able to add some thoughts to the July discussion before I leave till the end of the month...
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby MisterSlice » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:17 pm

Greetings, VTSG participants!

I'm relatively new (again), but oh so thankful that I didn't get too far behind. I didn't start with the group but I am caught up now and I would love to help out by leading a couple of discussions. I've listed below the chapters that I am most interested in leading. I wasn't sure exactly how many we were allowed to do, and specifically if we could do two in a row, so I've put them in order of preference.

2007 March 1
TEXT: Chapter 7, Helm’s Deep

2006 July 1, Sunday
TEXT: Chapter 5, The Bridge of Khazad-dûm; Chapter 6, Lothlórien

2006 February 1, Wednesday
TEXT: Chapter 12, Flight to the Ford (if I can do multiples I would like this chapter simply because it's much sooner than my others)

2007 February 1
TEXT: Chapter 6, The King of the Golden Hall (this is the chapter before "Helm's Deep," and if I only get one or the other I prefer "Helm's Deep")
MisterSlice
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:56 am

Mr_Slice, Flight to the Ford is already taken - got to edit the timetable if it isn't there yet - but, I think you can well have the other chapters you requested, if nobody else objects.
rowanberry

Postby starlin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:22 am

Ah, I see Chapter III is up - thanks, rowan, for the summary and the questions :) I'll try to add something before I leave... and I will return on the 20-something only, so sorry guys, I won't be participating much.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilwen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am

Hi all! My PC died on my again (twice this month) so I wasn't able to login for a few days. While everything goes back to normal I'll be login in less often... :(
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Thewhitetree » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:00 pm

Starlin or Rowanberry. Could you e-mail me the password again. outwithit2020 @ yahoo dot ca. I had e-mail problems a few months ago and I lost a whole bunch of old messages. :roll:

Thanks,

TWT
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:58 pm

Should be coming your way. :) You better check your junk mail folder too if you don't find it in your inbox.
rowanberry

Postby starlin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:24 pm

Hello everyone, I'm back. I'll try to write something as soon as I read through the posts that I've missed while I was away...
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby pippinsqueak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:36 am

Anyone seen Mahima around lately? She's supposed to be posting the summary and questions for the next two chapters this month , but it looks like she hasn't visited since May 16 (I know those date things are sometimes wrong). Perhaps she has forgotten. :shock: Or has someone else got the job now but the list hasn't been changed?
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group