Lord of the Rings OOC: ROLL CALL - who is still around?

Come here to join in a structured study of Tolkien's Works. Please read the guidelines before posting. New and veteran readers welcome.

Postby rowanberry » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:01 am

I came across Mahima elsewhere a few days ago; I'll try and contact her to ask if she can write the summary for next month. I guess she's just really busy in RL, or may have some computer problems.

(Also, sorry for my own lack of participation - I'll try and post something to last month's topic as well.)
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby rowanberry » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:33 am

I got hold on Mahima, and she said that she indeed is so busy with RL issues at the moment that she won't be able to do the August summary and questions; she could contribute from October on again.

So, are there any volunteers to take up August - or, could one of the contributors from October on perhaps switch turns with Mahima?
rowanberry

Postby pippinsqueak » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:14 am

Well, I'll take a stab at A Shortcut to Mushrooms if someone else wants to take on A Conspiracy Unmasked. I probably won't get anything up until the weekend, though.
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:44 am

Ooops, I just realised I signed up for September, I thought it was for October.

I won't be at home from August 27th to September 9th - I could post the summary early, before August 27th, if that's ok. (Or later, if that's preferred. With the August theme starting late, maybe it would be preferable if I started it after I get home? Or we move the whole thing by a month?)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:59 pm

Whatever suits you better. :)
rowanberry

Postby pippinsqueak » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:46 pm

I'll be posting the summary and questions for A Shortcut to Mushrooms tonight. If no one has started on A Conspiracy Unmasked, the second chapter for discussion this month, I don't mind doing that one as well. It was less work than I thought.
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:48 am

Thanks rowanberry! :)

I hadn't remembered we were doing two chapters this month - so, rather than do a third chapter in three weeks, I think it would be better if I started the September theme a good week into the month. :)

(If anyone objects to that, just let me know! :) )
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby starlin » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 pm

My dear hobbits, elves, ents and everyone else, I am so sorry I am not participating as actively as before :( I hope to add more comments to section III and go on to section IV as soon as possible, though currently I am very busy IRL... When my upcoming live roleplays are past, I'll come, I promise.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby pippinsqueak » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:17 am

Hi starlin, RL does have a way of interfering, doesn't it? I've come here to apologise for taking so long to get my second summary and questions posted. Hopefully I will have that done by this weekend.
pippinsqueak
Ranger of the North

Postby Gilwen » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi everybody!
After a month or so I finally have access to my computer again. I have a lot to read to catch up with you guys!
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby niamh » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:51 am

Hi all, may I join? :) I'm only lurking, but who know, I might be tempted to post one thought in the next 3 years ;)
niamh
Ranger of the North

Postby Impenitent » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:55 pm

Greetings all,

I had a sudden urge to look at the READ THIS FIRST thread, posted by Barad-dur at the behest of the then-VTSG scholars so long ago. Since I wrote that original text, the OOC thread and the way this forum works has changed a little so perhaps some other guidelines in that thread are also no longer relevant.

Perhaps a current regular would like to review the text in the READ THIS FIRST thread and make the few cosmetic changes required? Certainly the links to the OOC etc need to be updated. The amended text you come up with could then be edited into the first post by a moderator.

I would do it but as I'm no longer a regular here I thought that would be a little brazen and presumptuous. :wink:
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby rowanberry » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:44 am

Niamh, of course you're welcome! 8) Hope you'll get an inspiration to post as well, every insight is appreciated!

Imp, we'll try and take a look at the READ THIS FIRST thread at some point. :)
rowanberry

Postby Asfaloths_daughter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:32 pm

Just like to register as a lurker
(puts on her shadowcap and fades into a vaguely art noveau mist, like the undulating white smoke from a candle that has just been snuffed).
Im on infrequently but hope to keep at least portionally up with this forum. Many thanks.
Asfaloths_daughter
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Gilwen » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:18 pm

Welcome Asfaloth and Niamh! Feel free to make any comment you like. Every opinion is important. That's one of the beauties of discussing Tolkien!
Read on and enjoy!
Gilwen
Citizen of Imladris

Postby starlin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:39 am

Ok, I know I am terribly guilty, so I spent some time re-reading chapters 3 and 4 last night, I made notes and I am going to post some thoughts right now. Thoughts on Chapter 5 coming up soon. I chose to concentrate mainly on Frodo and Sam and all in all character development.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:39 am

Welcome on board, Asfaloth! :)

Don't worry, Starlin - your posts, even if they've been few due to real life reasons, are well thought and thought-provoking. 8)

My own life will be more or less chaotic for a couple more weeks and leave me very little time for any literary activities :pull: , but I hope to participate more actively in the September discussion, and will try and post something in the current discussions as well.
rowanberry

Postby Borin_Silversmith » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:39 pm

Hello would it be okay to join you. My RL is very slow as I 'm physically disabled but I find this site( TORC) enjoyable and challenging and would find a chance to study an interesting idea

Borin
Borin_Silversmith
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:53 am

Hi, Borin! Of course you are welcome, please don't hesitate to post in the current study section as well as in older ones, as they remain open even after the 'official' discussion time is over.

Now, let me see... truehobbit is on the schedule for September...
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:35 am

Welcome, Borin! :)

TH's at the moment away on work related business, and will post the September summary as soon as she gets home (next weekend, I think).
rowanberry

Postby truehobbit » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:41 am

Yep, thanks rowanberry! :)

Not much discussion in the previous two chapters yet, but I'll go ahead and start the new one. LOL, I found writing a summary harder than I thought it would be.
I hope the discussion themes I came up with are halfways fruitful.
Further questions/subjects are of course always welcome! :)

Now, off to look for some links before I post the thread! :)
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby starlin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:46 am

Hello everyone,

I am striving to complete all the RL business so that I could come on VTSG but I only manage to come here at the end of the month, as you see... :( But I've noticed that everyone must be similarly busy now because there are so few replies, and, definitely, this is not a proper discussion that we would all like to see! So I propose that we change the schedule a bit: extend this month's section (Chapt 6) to October and move everything else one month further. We can't leave it like this!
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:42 am

Are we dead? :|

In order to prove that I am not, I will post something on Chapter 6 tonight, but I really strongly suggest moving the schedule. I want to add my thoughts to the current section, and everyone else will be able to take their time, too.

VTSG is too good to die!

EDIT Oct 02: Sorry, the internet connection broke that evening and then I left for the weekend so I am only posting it today.
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Arvegil » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Just noticed: my two-year anniversary was this week. Still the prettiest. Go me!
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby Thewhitetree » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:03 am

Arvegil wrote:Just noticed: my two-year anniversary was this week. Still the prettiest. Go me!

What do you mean? Is says your join date 9s th 23rd of Oct.

Hi poeple. Sorry I've been so absent lately. School has been very hecktic but I'm hoping that next week will be less full. I'll try to post in here more frequently.

Cheers,

TWT
Thewhitetree
Mariner

Postby Arvegil » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:07 pm

Amazing- my "join date" looked like it changed. It was the 6th! Did we switch from Gregorian to Julian calendars or something?

Hmmm... Yours didn't change. I'm just lucky.
Arvegil
Ranger of the North

Postby eilona » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:29 am

Hi! I've finally gotten around to visiting this thread properly, and I've seen soem familiar faces to boot!. WOW! I'll post whenever I can, and if I feel REALLY confident, I'll take a chapter...in about 2007ish. Is that ok with everyone?
eilona
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:56 am

Amazing- my "join date" looked like it changed. It was the 6th! Did we switch from Gregorian to Julian calendars or something?

ROFL, Arvegil - well, by now it's your TORC anniversary whichever date is right, so CONGRATS! :clap: :drink: And, yes - GO YOU! :hug:

Hi and welcome, eilona - good to see you here! :) Sure that's ok - get posting and when you feel good about it, let us know what chapter you'd like to host! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby rowanberry » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:10 am

Happy Two TORC Years, Arvegil! Hope to see you around more often! :grouphug: :drink:

Welcome, eilona! Just jump in to the discussions, and as soon as you feel that you'd like to introduce a chapter, just let us know! 8)

Regarding thread leaderships, it would soon be time to start the next chapter; I wonder if Bombadillo is around? If s/he doesn't show up, we'll have to try and find someone to do his/her chapter.

BTW, greetings from Mahima; I IMed with her the other day. She is still overwhelmed by real life duties, but said that a lot of the things she's doing should get finished in December, and after that, she'll probably have time to post here again. :)
rowanberry

Postby truehobbit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Bombadillo last visited on the 20th - I think that's ok. I mean, he doesn't seem lost, so I guess he'll be around with his summary in time.
I seem to remember he was particularly eager to have this chapter because of his namesake, so let's be patient. :)

Though, if you're worried, you could drop him an e-mail (must have his addy from mailing him the password)?

Or we could all sing the Bombadil-song - that's sure to conjur him up instantly! :D

(Thanks for news on Mahima! :) )
truehobbit
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Tolkien Study Group